What's new

Zinc Merkurs?

In another thread, Merkur razors are identified as being made of cast zinc. Can anyone confirm (or deny) this from assured knowledge? It would also be interesting to me, and perhaps to others, to know what metal is beneath the chrome plating of Jagger and Muhle razors. This is not an initiative to damn or praise the shaving qualities of any razor, but just to know the truth about their materials. Thanks.

Thank you, gentlemen, for the prompt, clear and informative responses. Does anyone know whether this alloy is used by Muhle and Jagger?

Thank you, gentlemen, for the prompt, clear and informative responses. Does anyone know whether this alloy is used by Muhle and Jagger?

I believe that Merkur makes the heads for Jagger, so I would imagine so. I think to get away from it you would have to go to one of the uber-expensive ones such as the Feather SS or Pills to get solid stainless steel. Why are you trying to stay away from ZAMAK anyway? It has been around for a long time, as long as it is properly cast it is strong.

I believe that Merkur makes the heads for Jagger, so I would imagine so. I think to get away from it you would have to go to one of the uber-expensive ones such as the Feather SS or Pills to get solid stainless steel. Why are you trying to stay away from ZAMAK anyway? It has been around for a long time, as long as it is properly cast it is strong.

It also matters a great deal that the plating has been done to a high standard.

Thought Muhle made the Jagger heads. Might have to check.

Does this in any way effect to quality or performance of the razor?

Well yes it could effect the quality to some extent. Basically as to corrosion resistance. But in reality if the said razor was properly cared for I doubt it will fall apart in ones hands.

A few remarks on various comments here.

Yes, both EJ and Mühle use Zamak for their castings. Apart from the '09-'11 OC Mühle head none of their stuff comes from Merkur though.
By using Zamak (there is not just one kind though) castings are cheaper and more precise but due to the high zinc content corrosion is always a risk. That is why pristine plating is so damned important. With poor plating comments are often like; well, it is only under the top-plate so who cares anyway. It does matter. Plating should be perfect or better with Zamak castings if you want it to last. With modern razors plating quality is not about looks but about longevity of the razor.

I hope my original post was clear that I had no intent to address shaving performance or the quality of any brand or material. I wanted to know because clear, precise information is helpful in selecting personal tools that are used as often and intimately as razors. In that regard, I have learned a great deal from the informed posts here.

Just to confuse everyone, I thought the heads were made of Zamac but the handles were brass.

Thanks,
Mike

Just an observation, even the lowly LORD L6 which I'm sure is made from Zamak contains Nickle in it alloy content as it attracts a magnatic. The nickle in turn gives the alloy corrosion resistance.

Just an observation, even the lowly LORD L6 which I'm sure is made from Zamak contains Nickle in it alloy content as it attracts a magnatic. The nickle in turn gives the alloy corrosion resistance.

Zamak has to first be plated with copper/brass then nickel and then either chrome or gold, the nickel plating will attract a magnet.
Zamak melts at around 800 degrees Fahrenheit and brass or bronze around 1600 degrees, steel is much higher and stainless steel higher still.
You can melt Zamak easily with a propane torch right out of it's plated shell.
Gillette used Zamak on some of their Tech caps and the easiest way to tell the difference from the brass/copper caps is to weigh them, the brass/copper caps weigh 14-15 grams and the Zamak caps weigh 9-10 grams.

Interesting, did not think about the nickle plating required before the chrome. Know about the melt temps as I worked as a tool & Die maker for a number of years and also melt an alloy of lead/tin casting bullets. Also made hand made knives for about 10 years, did my own heat treating and drawing.

Regarding plating and zamak and corrosion may be why the threaded stud breaks off the head after loosing its plating from wear from changing blades and removing the handle for cleaning.

Interesting, did not think about the nickle plating required before the chrome. Know about the melt temps as I worked as a tool & Die maker for a number of years and also melt an alloy of lead/tin casting bullets. Also made hand made knives for about 10 years, did my own heat treating and drawing.

Regarding plating and zamak and corrosion may be why the threaded stud breaks off the head after loosing its plating from wear from changing blades and removing the handle for cleaning.

The reason the stud breaks loose is because unlike a short studded 3 piece razor a long stem razor like a Merkur HD puts constant tension on the joint, it basically acts like a puller.
Gillette NEW and Tech caps look to have been cast in 1 piece and aren't subject to this problem, the long stemmed Merkurs have a brass stem and a Zamak cap so the joint between the two different metal can't be as strong as a single piece.

Just to confuse everyone, I thought the heads were made of Zamac but the handles were brass.

Thanks,
Mike

If we are talking about late vintage Merkurs, you are right. Fyi, heads of early vintage ones were made of brass instead of zamac.

Top Bottom