What's new

Zeroing Progress

In the Merkur Progress review Rustyblade said Razor cannot be "zeroed" when there is a blade in. The lowest setting is 1.5. :dots: It's true: but what's the mistake? Perhaps Merkur engineers have to come back college? How it's possible?
Mer... Me-er! Are you on line? :em2300:

Hey There,

It can be done. I make sure all my razors will go to at least 1 when I send them out.

The number ring is molded in with the plastic knob. It has to be right around the + symbol with no blade installed for it to go to 1 with a blade.

I can do it for you if you want. Shoot me a PM.

Eric

The problem is different blades have different thicknesses. With the design, there is no way to get it to read 1 for every different kind of blade.

The number ring on a progress is a separate piece that is pressed onto the knob. You wrap the number ring with masking tape grip it with a pair of pliers and turn it to the proper position so that it reads #1 tightened down with a blade in the razor.

The problem is different blades have different thicknesses. With the design, there is no way to get it to read 1 for every different kind of blade.

John, i dont think the thickness of the blade can cause that much of a difference. I have a Mergress that locks down to 1 with a blade in it. Any blade that is.

John, i dont think the thickness of the blade can cause that much of a difference. I have a Mergress that locks down to 1 with a blade in it. Any blade that is.

:001_rolle Today I wanted to try different blades: Merkur, Derby, Astra and Astra Keramik and... :w00t: Surprise! Merkur blade and Derby stops more than 1,5 - Astra stops at less than 1,5. There's a little difference.
I didn't try Treet and Feather because I was tired of unwrapping and wrapping!... eheh!:wink:

Mer, on short notice I'll want fortissimamente (much more than greatly) a new Mergress!

Pardon! I forgot...
Letterk, here in Italy we says "Class is not water", I don't know if in English express the same admiration:thumbup:. Bye

I'd say that 1 out of every 10 razors I work on will zero out around the 1 with a blade installed. All the others are 1.5 +.

I used to have a problem setting to 1, but now when I load a new blade I make sure the + sign is located below the dot, then I seem to be able to set to 0.

Regards
Nigel

The number ring on a progress is a separate piece that is pressed onto the knob. You wrap the number ring with masking tape grip it with a pair of pliers and turn it to the proper position so that it reads #1 tightened down with a blade in the razor.

I'm sorry this is what I just did this to a knob I sent to Mer to mod for me. I did this to get it to set to 1 or 0 if desired. I chose 1 because it has no 0. It worked out just fine I just wrapped the ring section a few times with masking tape had predetermined where I wanted it set at. Then as said grabbed the ring very gently only using as much pressure with the pliers as needed not much at all really held tight to the knob and turened. Next thing you know it was lined up or zeroed, It moves easer than I thought it would. I also wanted to say unscrew the blade holder or top and pull the knob out the bottom befor you try to move the number ring. It's just held in by a flat spring washer or clip thing with a split in it. to put it back in just compress the flat split clip while pressing it into the handle. It should slide into it when compressed. That way it is a lot easer to do it out of the handle than in it and safer as well.

Thanks for the help
Eddie

Here is a pic of befor and after I rotated the number ring. The razor does not have a blade in in the pics but will position itself at around the number one depending on what blade is in it. And thanks to a friend who gave me a spot of red enamel paint for the position mark.

for some reason I do not see the first pic I uploaded and saw last night, but the second is there. I also posted this on the SMF site and both pics are still in that post.

Thanks to Cooncatbob
Eddie

I have two Progress razors, both "zero" between 1 and 2 depending on the razor blade. I've never ventured into why, as it doesn't really bother me, but that's what I experience.

Top Bottom