What's new

Zero to 60 in.how fast did you build your collection?

I amassed about 50 razors in a matter of two months when I started out. I attribute this mostly to the fact that I seem to be the only collector looking for them in my general area. Every antique store I went to within 50 miles had some, some of them had boxes full of them! I was very lucky. Since then, I have found a bunch of them online but always at bargain prices. Later I admit I paid market value for maybe 7 or 8 really nice sets when I had the scratch.

I have been collecting for two years now and have accumulated about 260 razors (Gillette, Gem, Schick and others) along with a huge assortment of vintage blades, shaving mugs, a few brushes, etc.. I have a large collection of about 20 Old Spice pieces. I can't help it. I just find vintage shaving stuff everywhere it seems. For instance, this weekend I went to an antique machinery show (farm equipment and antiques) and I stumbled across a 1952 aluminum black tip (X1), a beautiful 1974 short handled Super Adjustable and really nice boar brush -- all for about $10.

My wife is very supportive of my passion for collecting these. She keeps an eye out for me. This evening she said she saw two new antique shops that opened up a couple of towns away from me so I guess I'll stop in some time and see what they have.

I am still missing some rare pieces such as a Toggle, some of those really nice British Gillettes and a few others. I doubt I'll ever find one in the wild for an affordable price but I keep looking anyway.

This is where I was at a couple weeks ago:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...uot-Cased-quot-Vintage-Gillette-RAD?highlight=

I've added a few more since then. Most notably, a 1930's Cased Big Boy New Chromium Deluxe, a 1926 Cased New Improved Tuckaway, replated nickel New Short OC with Common Bar handle, replated nickel Fat Handle Tech, Otto Roth New Long OC, and my birthyear/quarter Super Speed (W1 date code). RAD continues.....

Ben

Thats quite a collection, I haven't found but one with a case and one with half a wrong case...I wouldn't mind finding them like that but I just want the weapon at this point.

I amassed about 50 razors in a matter of two months when I started out. I attribute this mostly to the fact that I seem to be the only collector looking for them in my general area. Every antique store I went to within 50 miles had some, some of them had boxes full of them! I was very lucky. Since then, I have found a bunch of them online but always at bargain prices. Later I admit I paid market value for maybe 7 or 8 really nice sets when I had the scratch.

I have been collecting for two years now and have accumulated about 260 razors (Gillette, Gem, Schick and others) along with a huge assortment of vintage blades, shaving mugs, a few brushes, etc.. I have a large collection of about 20 Old Spice pieces. I can't help it. I just find vintage shaving stuff everywhere it seems. For instance, this weekend I went to an antique machinery show (farm equipment and antiques) and I stumbled across a 1952 aluminum black tip (X1), a beautiful 1974 short handled Super Adjustable and really nice boar brush -- all for about $10.

My wife is very supportive of my passion for collecting these. She keeps an eye out for me. This evening she said she saw two new antique shops that opened up a couple of towns away from me so I guess I'll stop in some time and see what they have.

I am still missing some rare pieces such as a Toggle, some of those really nice British Gillettes and a few others. I doubt I'll ever find one in the wild for an affordable price but I keep looking anyway.

So I guess I am actually a bit " slow" at this huh?

We don't have too many antique shops around, there is one big weekly flea market, but I haven't made it up there yet....itchin to go look around...maybe next Sunday morning early before my girls get up...

So I guess I am actually a bit " slow" at this huh?

We don't have too many antique shops around, there is one big weekly flea market, but I haven't made it up there yet....itchin to go look around...maybe next Sunday morning early before my girls get up...

I live in an area that is quite rural and rather backward so I guess nobody ever thought about collecting razors. People have told me of all the razors they threw away when they cleaned out old houses. I can't help but wonder how many Toggles, Presidents and fatboys ended up in the landfill. They are becoming harder to find though. I have spread my search area out into Kentucky and Illinois but I seem to be getting into other collector's areas because the shop owners always tell me about the "guy that comes in every week and cleans me out" or "oh, those don't last long around here!" LOL!

I have yet to go to antique stores and flea markets. After spending a few months watching ebay and learning about razors, I now have the confidence to try to find the stuff in the wild. I'm not a pack rat or junk collector.... and the idea of buying stuff (anything, not just razors) just because it's cheap or a good deal bothers me. I pretty much only try to buy something that I am interested in keeping.... or because I want to try it and I know that I can sell it fairly easy if it doesn't work out. I've ended up with a few razors that I would like to sell.... but that happens when you buy a lot of a few things to get something in particular out of it. It's the nature of buying razors on ebay to not know the exact condition because it's a bit tarnished or covered in dirt or soap scum.... sometimes you luck out when you clean them up and sometimes all you find is pitting, brassing and scratches underneth the dirt and soap scum. With ebay, you're definitely taking more risk as a buyer.... but then again "no risk, no reward".

Ben

just picked up 5 new razors plus one from BST...! omg, hope to have pix of the 5 from today soon:

a militarty tech (??) 1943 per the blades with it
a "new' ? 1930
2 undated techs...hopefully you all can ID
a red tip SS B#

plus an old spice mug

$70...

Top Bottom