What's new

Zenith Manchurian

Anyone on here pick up a Zenith Manchurian? I've got one on the way due to the fairly low price to pick one up. I know that there are a fair amount of people with the silvertip, Zenith or Razorock branded, but I haven't seen much in regards to their Manchurian hair. Unfortunately, Zenith's website is fairly lacking in info about this brush other than it is new. I'm hoping the brush does not end up being your run of the mill two band.

Pics are always a plus :thumbup1:.

I have the 506 on hand and it is a good brush with firm backbone and soft tips. I will be doing a Manch Madness test next week facing off my Simpson, Zenith and Brad Sears Manchurian brushes against each other with possibly one more to fill in a full week's worth of shaves.

I did take some pics of the unboxing as I was pretty impressed with the presentation. Here is a sneak preview:

$D2263500.jpg$D2263501.jpg$D2263503.jpg$D2263504.jpg
After first shampooing (there was a bit of funk that needed to be lathered out)
$D2263507.jpg

Test lathered the manchurian...really reminds me of a poor man's shavemac 2 band silvertip. A more detailed look in a couple days.

First shave with the brush this morning, no pictures.

General Notes

The brush is large and very dense with a flat top bulb shape. The handle is fairly heavy and feels nice in the hand. I have no complaints about the shape of the handle or quality. For a $60 brush, it is excellent.

The Knot

Density

Due to its size, it took forever to load the brush to a state that I consider acceptable. The knot is moderately dense and a bit of a lather hog. It retains a lot of lather when in use. It does release the lather from the bottom third of the knot, but I think most people will find that they have to squeeze the knot to get the rest.

Backbone
The hair has less backbone than the Shavemac 2 band silvertip, but is fairly resilient and exceeds your typical silvertip. In use, this backbone combined with the density and size of the knot leads to a great brush for face lathering, but also one that would excel in a bowl. In one word, adaptable.

Appearance
The dark center band is fairly large and the tips a golden white. The photos on TVB shaving where I purchased the brush were accurate to what I received. As stated above, the shape is a fairly flat bulb.

Tips
A combination of everything plays here. The tips themselves are quite soft. They compare well to the TGN finest knot that I have and are best described as being not quite gel like, but close enough. You feel the hair of the knot, but it is very soft and a nice massaging sensation on the skin that feels similar running one's over their hair a week or so after a buzz cut, where the hair is firm, but soft. There do not appear to be too many dark hairs sticking up through the knot, which many feel to be pokey or scratchy. When wet, the tips clump similar to my Shavemac 2 band silvertip, but they are not as crunchy when dry. All of this, combined with the density of the knot and the increased backbone, leads to a pleasurable lathering experience that is just plain nice. Not mind blowingly exceptional, but nice.

Use
As stated, it will hog the lather. I'm hoping that with some more shaves/test lathers, the knot will open up a bit more and the flow through will improve. I've never been one to focus much on the shape of the handle as I'll make it work no matter the shape, but the handle is comfortable and easy to hold/use.

You will feel the center of the knot if you press down with light to moderate pressure since it is essentially a flatter bulb (Note - Some may call this a hybrid bulb/fan, but I don't feel that nomenclature captures it well). I find that wobbling circles (pivoting the circles around the center of the knot) or brush strokes suit this brush. For those that are obsessed with warm lather, the size and density hold heat well and you won't be disappointed in use. The brush has shed about 10 hairs, but they could easily be loose. Only time will tell how the brush holds up.

More updates and photos to follow.

[MENTION=70368]paintflinger[/MENTION]

Derek, got any pictures? I may consider getting the 505 in the future, but I want to use my 506 a few more times before committing.

tonight when I do another test lather (I'll be taking shots of the Vie Long Epsilon then too).

I look forward to it. I had the 505AK Silvertip but didn't keep it because it splayed way too much. If the Manchurian holds its shape better than it will be a nice addition to the collection.

Top Bottom