What's new

Zamak or brass

I picked up this Tech the other day and I can't tell if it is Zamak or brass. I can't tell from the Mr Razor pictures and I don't have any other 3 piece razors to compare it to weight-wise. The 'Gillette' on the cap is very faded so I can't tell if it is etched or embossed. I apologize for such little to go off of, but can anyone tell me if this is brass? The handle seems heavy so I think at least that might be brass, but I'm not sure about the rest.
$005.jpg$006.jpg$007.jpg

Can't speak for the cap but if I had to put money on the table, I'd say the base plate is brass without a doubt.

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as the experts here however.

Should be brass from the looks of it. Most of the Zamak razors that I have seen with ant wear on them take on a bubbled surface right before coming apart. The finish on that top cap looks pretty worn but I don't see any bubbles so it likely is not Zamak.
:thumbup1:

Given the high price of brass these days, I wonder what the melt value of a Gillette DE is?
It seems like it would be fairly easy to figure out. Check the price of recyclable brass and weigh the razor.

If you're thinking of buying all the vintage Gillettes on ebay and melting them down for scrap, I think it's a losing proposition.:001_smile

Nice find.
Thanks. I'm really excited about it, especially now that I know it is all brass. I bought it to be used as my travel razor since it breaks down into three pieces, and I've shaved with it once. Very mild as I expected, but a solid tool nonetheless.

Top Bottom