What's new

zamak/brass de razors like edwin jagger and merkur

Out of curiosity, are there any modern manufactured de razors that are all brass instead of what appears to be a standard brass and zamak mix?

Just the same as advice I can give on so many other things, take care of it and it will take care of you. Whether a two dollar razor or a brand new car, you've made an investment! Anything could last forever if you want it too.

do they shave as well as stainless steel razors? - No difference

is there any evidence that stainless steel razors shave much better than your typical brass/zamak de razors many use today like the merkur or edwin jagger?

No. Depends on the skill of the operator.

How long can a razor like the merkur 34c or edwin jagger de89 last if taken care of properly?

Depends on when you drop it or when you get a chip in the plating. If either ocurs, the razor is toast.

Go vintage!!

What he said. Go vintage or go machined. I have some zamak razors, but I won't buy anymore. They are good looking, shave great, and will last until......

If the plating on a zamak razor exposed the zamak, but you were to dry it off between uses would the zamak still rot? Generally metal rot is due to exposure to moisture and air, but if dry would the rot still occur or would it occur on a slower scale.
I think razor maintenance is overdone quite a lot on this forum. I only take my razors apart at blade changes and just rinse and shake after shaving and never had any issues. In over half a year I never found any evidence of soap scum getting into the threads of my Merkur. My Lord L6 is still going strong as well after about 4 years. The only extra care I take is cleaning all parts every once in a while and make sure all parts are completely dry before assembly.

Disassembly after each use will put unnecessary wear on the plating on the threads which accelerates the rot.

... Disassembly after each use will put unnecessary wear on the plating on the threads which accelerates the rot.
This is a very valid point!

$Zamak rot Jagger.jpg

I think razor maintenance is overdone quite a lot on this forum. I only take my razors apart at blade changes and just rinse and shake after shaving and never had any issues. In over half a year I never found any evidence of soap scum getting into the threads of my Merkur. My Lord L6 is still going strong as well after about 4 years. The only extra care I take is cleaning all parts every once in a while and make sure all parts are completely dry before assembly.

Disassembly after each use will put unnecessary wear on the plating on the threads which accelerates the rot.

Unless you got one with bad plating, or dropped and chipped it, six months, four years, even 10 years is probably gonna happen. Heck, for what most of these razors cost, if you had to replace a DE89, or Merker HD every few years, you'd still be getting your money's worth. I could buy 5 DE 89's for the cost of 1 ATT. On the flip side, I like the idea that my grandkids will still be able to use my ATT.

No way am I going to get into all the extra time to bother to disassemble my razor after every shave, and wipe blades, etc. etc.. My razor's get cleaned every so often when it's time to change a blade, good enough.

I am taking mine apart and wiping them down after each shave. I know it keeps the soap scum build up off the razor and blade.

Are there any manufacturer members here ? I would like to know about their material choices. There are a number of Zamak alloys in existence as well as zinc alloys other than Zamak; ZA-12 is said to have corrosion resistance in household soft water environments only slightly inferior to brass. Some of my questions would be -- Which specific zinc alloy is being used for your razors ? What would be the additional cost if they were made instead of brass ? Inexpensive brass plumbing goods are widely available, why use zinc at all for razors ? And so forth...

Last edited:
Are there any manufacturer members here ? I would like to know about their material choices. There are a number of Zamak alloys in existence as well as zinc alloys other than Zamak; ZA-12 is said to have corrosion resistance in household soft water environments only slightly inferior to brass. Some of my questions would be -- Which specific zinc alloy is being used for your razors ? What would be the additional cost if they were made instead of brass ? Inexpensive brass plumbing goods are widely available, why use zinc at all for razors ? And so forth...

There's some interesting stuff in these threads:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/416540-Zamak-hating-seems-to-be-trendy-these-days

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/394608-How-long-do-Zamak-razors-really-last/page11

We do have a few members/vendors manufacturing razors, but I don't think any of them is using zinc alloys.

Of course there's plenty of broken brass vintage razors on Ebay. They can be dropped just as easy as Zamak razors.
Sure, they can be dropped, but the outcome of that drop is likely to be different. The Zamak razor is much more likely to snap when dropped. The brass razor is more likely to dent rather than just snap into two pieces.

Really disappointed. I love my Merkur 38C. The chrome is flaking. I wish Merkur would make it in brass or stainless. Better brass chromed! A few dollars more is no big deal. I purchased mine in like 2010. I also cleaned it, and soaked it in boiling water, a lot. Why use a cheap metal on something like that???

Top Bottom