5.Personna Reds

M

Mateo

Feather
Astra SP
Bluebird
Shark SC
Bic

I have yet to try Iridium. I have a feeling when I finally do, it will be in my top 5.

1. Feathers

I only use feathers but i have tried derby that i received with my first DE, then i tried Gillette 7 o'clock Russian yellows and finally feathers and i haven't changed since then. Wish i could find a blade that was as good as feathers and cheaper but sadly that seems impossible, do 'Israeli' Personnas mean they are made in Israel? they seem popular and well liked by members on this site but i try to avoid buying goods that are made in Israel if i can, shame as i would like to give them a try as many people seem to like them.

Last edited:
  1. Gillette Spoiler
  2. Shark Super Chrome
  3. Gillette 7 o'clock yellows
  4. Gillette Platinum
  5. Personna Single Edge

In no particular order of preference, I get fantastic, smooth shaves from the following:

Feather
Gillette Bleue Extra NOS
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
Iridium Super
Astra SP

Personna Red
Bolzanno
Derby (for me they don't suck - I have never gotten a bad shave from them)
Shark Stainless
Astra

So far the ONLY blades that don't work for me are Crystal and Wilkinson.

As a result of trying Gillette Yellow Sharp Edge, I have to change the order somewhat:
Personna Red
Gillette Yellow Sharp Edge
Bolzanno
Derby
Shark Stainless

Having nothing better to do with my time, I thought it would be interesting to count up all the votes received to date on this thread. There were some difficulties. For example, some blades are called by more than one name (i.e. Gillette Yellows are also known as Gillette Sharp Edge); some, such as Personna Reds, IPs, Red Pack may refer to different products (BTW, I grouped all of these under "Red Personnas"); some votes were not specific (if listed as "Shark", I had to assign them to Super Chrome or Super Stainless). So what we have here is a count done the best way that I can figure it out. I the top ten based on total votes, ending up with eleven total as there was a tie at tenth.

10. (Tie)- Merkur and Shark Super Stainless; 7 votes
8. (Tie)- Kai and Wilkinson Sword; 9 votes
7. Gillette Swedes; 12 votes
6. Derby Extra; 16 votes
5. Astra Superior Platinum; 17 votes
4. Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow); 20 votes
3. Red Personnas; 23 votes
2. Iridium Super; 24 votes
1. Feather; 38 votes

I think the top of the list lines up with what I've seen elsewhere on the site. Feathers are the clear favorite followed rather closely by Iridiums. The results here have piqued my interest in several blades that I haven't yet tried. I just bought a pack of Astra SPs and I think I will put Kai and Gillette Yellows on my short list. Most intriguing for me, however, are the Gillette Swedes. The fact that they get so many votes despite being unavailable for so long, makes them something that I just have to try. (Anyone interested in sending me a blade or two would have my never ending gratitude! :lol:)

1. & 2. (tie) Astra Superior Stainless & Gillette Super Blue (Shanghai) - as good as each other, superb blades that give me BBS with 3 passes and zero irritation EVERY time.
3. Treet Platinum
4. 7 o'clock Permasharps
5. Personna Red

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharpedge (Yellow)
Gillette Super Thin (Vietnam)
Red pack Personna
Super-Max Super Platinum

• GILLETTE silver-blues (russia) feathers (japan) timors (germany) sputniks (russia) iridiums (russia) this list only reflects current production blades,not vintage
]

1. Personna Medical/Lab blades
--NOS Gillette Bleue Extras are tied for first, though not in current production
2. Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (India black pack)
3. Astra Superior Platinum (when palm-stropped before first shave)
4. Shark Super Stainless
5. Personna Barber (just tried these yesterday, excellent first outing)

Top Bottom