What's new

You know you are entering The South when.

Unrelated but Jeff Foxworthy mentioned once, "You know you are a redneck if you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom."

It is true that I do have redneck tendencies but I used to do this one all the time when I was a carpenter. Last thing you want is some glue, contact cement, chemical etc that you have on your hands on something as sensitive as your .....

Saw this at the local Walgreens. Yes - that's a propane tank strapped to the bike.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 172
Have we ruled out that the propane tank is somehow cleverly rigged to power the bicycle? I've seen an old car turned into a water pump and a boat lift turned into an elevator (by the same person) so I wouldn't be too surprised.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I remember watching this cartoon as a kid on Saturday mornings ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

... it kind of gave the impression that entering "The South" was pretty immediate/abrupt, kind of like an international time zone line ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

... it kind of gave the impression that entering "The South" was pretty immediate/abrupt, kind of like an international time zone line ...

Down here we like to call it The Bubba-Grady Line.

I watched Bugs too on Sat. mornings. The first time I ever went to New England, I remember being disappointed that there wasn't more of a pronounced change. The concept of "New England" was a little hazy for me, and I looked at maps to try to get it straight but had trouble finding illustrations of just that region.

I watched Bugs too on Sat. mornings. The first time I ever went to New England, I remember being disappointed that there wasn't more of a pronounced change. The concept of "New England" was a little hazy for me, and I looked at maps to try to get it straight but had trouble finding illustrations of just that region.

I've always been curious about that as well.
"New England" is considered to be the states up in the "corner", north and east of New York, not including New York.
The Pilgrims were English, and came ashore in MA, but the original colonies did not extend beyond the 45th parallel, lower 1/3rd of Maine, and it extended south in the Georgia.
It appears that what is considered "New England" is the area covered by the original charter to the Plymouth Company, which ran from Chesapeake Bay to Canada, but excluding the area also chartered to the London Company (which ran from Long Island to Cape Fear).
So the overlap from Delaware to Long Island seems to not be covered.

When I think of "New England", I think of Jamestown and Williamsburg.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
WhatAburger restaurants start popping up on the radar. Hardee's restaurants become Carl's Jr. Dairy Queen is known as the Texas stop sign.
My father now lives in Memphis, and they have no Whataburgers. Whenever he visits his first meal is Whataburger.

The south is where any distance over a few miles is a "fur piece" away and if you misplace or lose something you don't look for it, but instead "hunt for it". The gulf between Baptists and non-Protestants is (was) nearly like night and day. Where sweet tea flows like water and the next meal is always either breakfast or dinner. Where people talk slower but don't necessarily think slower, its all in how one savors the moment with other person, as one is always in fellowship with them, even if in casual conversation.

I'm from Western NC and have lived in NC, SC, GA, and FL.

Y'uns is an Appalachian thing, y'all is the deep south usage, both mean the same. You have a "fahr" in NC, not a "fire". In GA, a "ladder" is a "lighter".

FL is not a southern state, at least not anywhere near the coasts. The interior, well it's a southern as it gets.

You don't have to order a beverage in a proper southern BBQ restaurant, it's tea, and it comes sweet.

You don't have to pre-pay to buy gas with cash.

Everyone waves when you enter a fast food restaurant, whether they know you or not. (also on the road)

There are also some racial peculiarities to be found in some of the southern speech patterns.I'm a central Georgia rural redneck married to a black girl.Her mother lives with us.Mess with either at peril to your self from me.( if they don't shoot you themselves.)

However my mother in law is from Tuskeegee ,Alabama and constantly says "umms"."umms is going to have coffee this mornin"Finally one day I asked her "WTH is umms,ma?"She replied "that is country sayin us-umms or ussumms or like we-unns" So from that I gathered umms is the singular of ussumms.:confused1.My head started to hurt and I went and got coffee for me and ma.:laugh:.

any one else have any examples of this?

There are also some racial peculiarities to be found in some of the southern speech patterns.I'm a central Georgia rural redneck married to a black girl.Her mother lives with us.Mess with either at peril to your self from me.( if they don't shoot you themselves.)

However my mother in law is from Tuskeegee ,Alabama and constantly says "umms"."umms is going to have coffee this mornin"Finally one day I asked her "WTH is umms,ma?"She replied "that is country sayin us-umms or ussumms or like we-unns" So from that I gathered umms is the singular of ussumms.:confused1.My head started to hurt and I went and got coffee for me and ma.:laugh:.

any one else have any examples of this?

I have always understood "umms" to mean "we are" which started as a simplified version of "us am" which is incorrect speech to begin with, but once it gets started its hard to let go, after all it does have a nice ring to it.

For more rural speech, check out this news report. Sweet Brown, the lady being interviewed here became an internet sensation beyond this, appearing on other shows and getting some positive press (good for her).

After you watch the news report, you might like the remix which shows up in the column of which videos to watch next. It is 1:57 long and has about 7.5 million hits. I didn't post the link here as some may find it racially insensitive. But anyone who has lived in the rural south knows this is not a racial thing, more a socioeconomic and location thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
When your relations complain about the cost of moonshine from $9.00-12.00 a jar and we should go get some before the price hike. Yes this is true it was redneck wedding party conversation. No I didn't get any but thought about it.

Top Bottom