What's new

You know you are entering The South when.

Good old Waffle House....at 3am it's one of the weirdest drunkiest places in the world.
Haven't done that in a while but it used to be a regular thing.

All soft drinks are Cokes, it doesn't matter whether they carry other brands or not.

WAITRESS: "Y'all want sweet tea?"

ME: "No, we'll just have a couple of cold Cokes."

WAITRESS: "We don't have Coke, Sugar." "Just Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and Seven-Up."

ME: "I'll take a Pepsi, then."

WAITRESS: "How 'bout you, Hon?"

GRACE: "Pepsi will be fine, thanks."

WAITRESS (yelling to the counter girl): "Two Cokes!"

All this talk of the "real south", and no one has mentioned grits? What's wrong with all y'all? You ain't in the real south until you have sweet tea, cornbread, grits, and crawfish, maybe all at the same meal!

And the hot isn't like any hot you Yankees or westerners would understand. Picture it this way: Take a terry cloth robe. Soak it in boiling water. Turn your thermostat as high as it will go. Pour more boiling water on the robe. Put the robe on. Then wrap a towel around your head after soaking it in boiling water. Now you're almost there.

All this talk of the "real south", and no one has mentioned grits? What's wrong with all y'all? You ain't in the real south until you have sweet tea, cornbread, grits, and crawfish, maybe all at the same meal!
And leftovers for lunch the next day! My daughter was 6mos. old and we went 'home' for a family reunion. By the end of that week, she had eaten grits, gumbo, and had sips of sweet tea. 7 years later, we're down for another family event and my step-dad is feeding my 3yr old son Crawfish and teaching him to crack 'em open.
And the hot isn't like any hot you Yankees or westerners would understand. Picture it this way: Take a terry cloth robe. Soak it in boiling water. Turn your thermostat as high as it will go. Pour more boiling water on the robe. Put the robe on. Then wrap a towel around your head after soaking it in boiling water. Now you're almost there.
After that, you gotta also stand right up next to the brightest lamp you've ever seen, like one of those big halogen work lights. Have friends come along every 15mins or so and spritz any exposed areas with more boiling water.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
"South" is relative.
My dad was from downstate Illinois, and if you heard him speak you'd swear he was Jed Clampett

All this talk of the "real south", and no one has mentioned grits?

Back in the early 80s my parents took us on a camping trip through the US ... we made it as far south as Hannibal Missouri (there's a Mark Twain house/museum there) and the Kentucky Horse Park. Believe me, from way up in Canada, that looks a lot like "the South". The defining moment for us was, one morning in a restaurant (probably Denny's or some such thing) as we ate our pancakes and eggs and such, hearing a family order breakfast at the next table, and the little kid asks the waitress "y'all got any grits?"

And yes, he did it with "the accent". Y'aahhhwll gaawwwt ayynee greeets?

Pick-up trucks with bullet hole mags and a grey primer paint job. That's right, that primer ain't a primer, it's the finish.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
You know you're entering the South when...;

1. Most of the younger set start calling you "Sweetie or Darling" (I kind of hate that).

2. A 'light' snowfall automatically causes the state to totally shut-down for a Snow Day.

proxy.php
"Humor can alter any situation and help us cope at the very instant we are laughing”. Allen Klein

Born and bred in the midwest all of us. Stopped at a Walgreens in Tennessee (properly pronounced "Tinnnnesee" but I digress) and an older lady with a clear southern accent rang up the purchase. With our brood standing by and having had several verbal exchanges with her I asked, "I wonder if you could tell me - do I have an accent." Without hesitation she answered, "Oh why yay-assss you do." All eyeballs turned to me as if to ask if, unbeknownst to them if we did in fact have an accent. Funny, it is all about context I guess. To her we did.

I completely agree with these statements and I have had that exact meal and it is delicious.

Hardee's in the south.
Huh, weird, Hardee's were in Colorado when I lived there. I never knew what Carl's jr was until I moved here. Now, when growing up in NJ, we had DQ's there but no one referred to the as the NJ stop sign. Come to think of it, most NJ drivers disregard stop signs or any driving laws for that matter!

And leftovers for lunch the next day! My daughter was 6mos. old and we went 'home' for a family reunion. By the end of that week, she had eaten grits, gumbo, and had sips of sweet tea. 7 years later, we're down for another family event and my step-dad is feeding my 3yr old son Crawfish and teaching him to crack 'em open.

After that, you gotta also stand right up next to the brightest lamp you've ever seen, like one of those big halogen work lights. Have friends come along every 15mins or so and spritz any exposed areas with more boiling water.

Dang sticky hot is what that is right there.

I did forget "I'ma fixin to," First time I heard it I asked if it was broken. Another one. Baptist church on every street corner. Up north in some states it's a Lutheran Church or Catholic Church, but down there.... it's Baptist. Also Pacan Pie, not peecan. Peecan is something you pee in. I taught for the military in AL and loved the folks I worked with.

Last edited:
OK, I'll play:

It wasn't until I moved to "Cahlina" that I ever heard the phrase "Might could", as in "I might could eat some barbeque right about now."

I am from Southern Indiana, when I go to Chicago I am told I have a Southern accent, when I go to Georgia or Florida, I am told I have a Northern accent. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
"South" is relative.
My dad was from downstate Illinois, and if you heard him speak you'd swear he was Jed Clampett

Sweet Tea: I am born and bred in South Louisiana. My family drinks tea with no sugar added. People are flabbergasted when we mention that. Now my wife, who grew up in SW Louisiana, drinks non-sweet tea.

And, I don't even mention my religious/non-religious affiliation or my political persuasion.

OK, I'll play:

It wasn't until I moved to "Cahlina" that I ever heard the phrase "Might could", as in "I might could eat some barbeque right about now."
And of course, its past tense, 'yoosta could. "Man, I yoosta could eat three or four of them pork pig sandwiches when I was your age."

The people here in the south are truly polite folks, and no it isn't just pretend, that is, unless you are one of those pushy bigoted northerners who thinks that all southerners are stupid. Almost everything is slower and quieter here - except for the vehicles. The iced tea is sweet and so are the girls. Grits are eaten with butter - not cream & sugar. BBQ is not boiled - crawfish are. Folks here are not dumb - but they are honest. You can say just about anything you want to about someone - as long as you add "Bless his/her little heart..." to it... Whataburger is the best burger on the planet - Hardees/Carl's Jr. can't touch it. Smoked brisket done right is the food of the gods. Jalapenos should be a part of every meal. Camouflage is a color.

If you don't like God, guns, grits, gumbo, hunting, fishing, sweet tea and politeness - just stay up there where you are. We're doing fine without you - bless your little heart...

Top Bottom