What's new

You have the worst shave of your life.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just shaved - too fast - in a thunderstorm. With my meanest OLD. And a thin lather.

Reaching for the Speick balm. Man. Five weepers?

AA

I would do what I do after almost every one of my shaves. After the last pass I do a cold water rinse. The colder the better. Then without wiping my face I apply alum block and let it sit while I clean my razor, brush and bowl. I then do another cold water rinse. Then comes witch hazel using a synthetic cotton swab. I let that dry by itself and they apply a balm. My favorite right now is TOBS Mr. Taylor's Aftershave Balm which has witch hazel in it as well. I wait a while and if I feel like it, I'll then apply the aftershave. I have gotten to know my face and if I have a nick that doesn't look like it will close up on its own or with the alum, witch hazel and balm, i use a styptic pencil before applying the witch hazel but after the alum. Best thing you can do is slow down, take your time, pay attention to your angle, no pressure and find your zen place. Then you won't have those "worst shaves of your life". Shave on.

I don't change my AS routine regardless of the shave: I use splashes with alcohol and glycerin. Some mornings I grimace after splashing it on. :ohmy:

Alum, Witch Hazel, Cremo Moisturizer. If I had a really bad shave, no point in drying the skin with any alcohol splash.

The worst shave I have ever had I did to myself on PURPOSE!!!

I was beta testing some ASB for a B&B vendor and did a NO prep DRY shave.....

I must have screamed for a week after that one.

The things one does for the furtherance of our shaving community...

They should give out a medal for this

proxy.php

Proraso Green Pre/Post Shave. I only use it as an aftershave balm. In the early days of using a DE I had some pretty rough shaves. For what you're describing, I'd pat my face dry with a hand towel and apply the Proraso as a thick paste to act as a salve and then let it sit on my face awhile before rising it off.

Any of the Barrister's Reserve splashes, any Chatillon Lux AS/toner/salve or Any of Dapper Dragon's Scale Polish. They all contain goodies to heal and cool burn.

I haven't looked through all the answers, but just today I had terrible irritation from a soap- and I used Sweet Comb Chicago Aftershave Balm (splash really) and it felt great!

Top Bottom