What's new

You have the worst shave of your life.

The other day beard was close and tight and was tempted to skip a day. Prepped the hell out of it with Pears soap and a glycerine moisterizer. Finished with a cold rinse then aloe gel followed by Clubman splash. Felt great.

What could have been a horrible shave was salvaged by simple precautions that I would have never considered previously.

Myrsol Metisol. It'll burn like the dickens, but that's a reminder to be more careful next time. After it dries I'll use Em's place aftershave soother and moisture balm. I had a horrible shave one hot, humid summer night. Bad shave and a reaction to the soap. My neck was on fire. I put some ice cubes in a baggie and tied them around my neck with a towel. Worked great.

1) Cold Facecloth
2) Osma Alum Block
3) Cold Facecloth - 10 to 15 minutes after the alum
Choice Of...
4) Honeybee Gardens Bay Rum or Mennen Skin Bracer

...Starting from the get go, your shave prep is off, lather isn't right, the shave is riddled with nicks, weepers and irritation...

What do you use as a post shave?

I am using Nivea Sensitive now as we speak and it does just fine but I am not 100% crazy about the smell. I want to know what you guys are using in the scenario listed above.
Speick is wonderful when things go wrong however it does have alcohol which could get alarming. The Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic is without alcohol and really refreshes the face. The Trumper line of skin food is quite nice as well.

Lucky Tiger for me, then a styptic and a day off!
Ditto for me !!! $cmL0924302.jpg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'd use alum block generously, allow it to dry and rinse with cold water.

I'd follow that with WH and then balm.

Maybe a daub of AS behind the ears.

Then I'd vow to be more careful tomorrow!

Yeti Snot, or any Stirling glacial, or Osage Rub, or any other high menthol splash. Learn your lesson. Next time you will ensure you get a better shave.

Thayer's Superhazel followed by Musgo balm. Fortunately, I haven't had to go through this routine in quite some time! I'm happy to say neither of the two get much use.

I'd use a AS Tonic to disinfect and then I would apply Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort AS Balm. It is like putting a protective layer on your skin. Comes out of the tube super thick and lays on super smooth.

I always finish with rubbing alcohol or an alcohol-based splash immediately when finished shaving to neutralize any critters that might take refuge in microscopic lesions. But that also might just be because I am obsessive-compulsive about most things. If it was a really bad shave, I will then go for a balm like Nivea's Sensitive Cooling. After that I just try to keep my shirt collar from continuing to make the area irritated until it heals because usually my problem areas are on the neck.

Last edited:
One time I had a really bad shave w/a DE razor. I washed my face w/really cold water and finished it off w/Nivea extra sensitive shave balm.

Top Bottom