What's new

Wunderbar!

I'm really excited about shaving with this razor. I managed to snag a slightly used one for a very good price (under retail), since I was too impatient to wait for it to be back in stock on IB. It should be here by friday, I can't wait.

Nice job on the matte finish, I do prefer that look to the original.
I guess I was one of the lucky ones to get one with a decent finish,not as good as I would have expected from a razor at this price point but no major blemished like in some of the pics.

Interestingly, I just got the $20 German Slant and mine had that exact same "scarring" as rlacrossjr's razor. Maybe its a RR thing? I didn't mind it much cuz I paid only 2 sawbucks... I'd be really pissed if I'd paid $130 and it came that way.

BTW the German Slant shaves incredibly well. Just what my face needed...Now my daily driver until I can afford something fancier. But, from now on, I think all my razors will be slants. Love it!

I've received the razor this morning. Here are a few of my observations:

It is an amazing looking razor, but the finish is just not up to par for a razor this price, IMO. I'll probably just polish it so it won't matter down the road, but I definitely expected more. It looks almost exactly like the pictures of rlacrossjr's razor before he gave it a satin finish.

RazoRock didn't lie about the tolerances, I never had a razor fit so tightly and perfectly together as this one. The material (316L steel) it's made of also feels amazing and weighty in the hand. This is a razor built to last.

Shaving with it will require some learning and practice. It didn't chew up my face too badly, but I didn't get the best shave since I'm not used to it yet. I can tell it's going to be amazing once I get it right though.

Bottom line... I suggest you buy this.

Last edited:
This is RazoRock reply to the finish

The finish on the Wunderbar is not a polish, it's a vibratory finish.

The issue with the Wunderbar is the tolerances are super exact and need to be that way for the razor to work as intended. The vibratory finish allows the finish to be uniform all the way around without affecting the fit. If these were hand polished, they would not be consistent. On a slant, consistency is of the utmost important. We are working on a few solutions for finishing but I've yet to find the perfect way.

I appreciate the feedback.

This is RazoRock reply to the finish

The finish on the Wunderbar is not a polish, it's a vibratory finish.

The issue with the Wunderbar is the tolerances are super exact and need to be that way for the razor to work as intended. The vibratory finish allows the finish to be uniform all the way around without affecting the fit. If these were hand polished, they would not be consistent. On a slant, consistency is of the utmost important. We are working on a few solutions for finishing but I've yet to find the perfect way.

I appreciate the feedback.

Very interesting, maybe I won't polish it after all so I don't mess it up.

It is an amazing looking razor, but the finish is just not up to par for a razor this price, IMO. I'll probably just polish it so it won't matter down the road, but I definitely expected more. It looks almost exactly like the pictures of rlacrossjr's razor before he gave it a satin finish.

RazoRock didn't lie about the tolerances, I never had a razor fit so tightly and perfectly together as this one. The material (316L steel) it's made of also feels amazing and weighty in the hand. This is a razor built to last.

Shaving with it will require some learning and practice. It didn't chew up my face too badly, but I didn't get the best shave since I'm not used to it yet. I can tell it's going to be amazing once I get it right though.

Bottom line... I suggest you buy this.

I think you are expecting too much. You said it yourself in your next sentence - tight tolerances and 316L stainless steel. I will also add machined slant head. There is literally nothing on the market that comes close to what the Wunderbar offers at its current price point of $130. If you want something cheaper but similar to this razor then you have give up something - aluminum instead of stainless steel, cast/sintered instead of machined, etc.

The Wunderbar is far from my favorite razor...personally, I think it requires too much attention to get a good shave. However, I won't deny the fact that its value is way off the charts.

I agree with all of this. I haven't shaved with it yet because it's supposed to be a Christmas present from my wife. Here are a few pictures where I tried to capture the micro scratches and the less-than-micro scratches. Is this finish typical of the Wunderbar?

$IMG_20160926_214026.jpg$IMG_20160926_214501.jpg

The finish is just not up to par for a razor this price, IMO. I'll probably just polish it so it won't matter down the road, but I definitely expected more. It looks almost exactly like the pictures of rlacrossjr's razor before he gave it a satin finish.

I agree with all of this. I haven't shaved with it yet because it's supposed to be a Christmas present from my wife. Here are a few pictures where I tried to capture the micro scratches and the less-than-micro scratches. Is this finish typical of the Wunderbar?

View attachment 696924View attachment 696929

I understand that vibratory finish is not the same as shiny jewel-like mirror polish, and I wasn't expecting it whatsoever.

BUT...
My razor arrived looking worse than any razor posted on this thread with minute scratches/blemishes. The top cap has at least 4 tiny dents. It seems someone was "manhandling" the top caps and kept banging it against other metal parts. Whoever is handling these razors prior to being shipped(or during manufacturing) needs to be careful that they are handling something that they are selling for $130. Joe claims he inspects each razor before shipment so I suppose he is well aware of this issue, I hope. I'm happy with the performance but still not feeling 100% happy about the blemishes and dents. Scratches and blemishes will happen during normal usage so I'm not so concerned with it, but dents are kind of unacceptable at this price point.

Last edited:
When I first got it, I was a little shocked, although I´ve read the description prior, I didn't expected this. But after putting several blades in it, I can tell that this is the best razor i´ve ever had regarding the fit/blade alignment. I´ve also had a Feather and the German Pils (a very very good razor!! Superb finish!!) but the Wunderbar is above them! But I think, you could Hand finish the Handle and the Top Cap at least and you still have the superb tolerances underneath with a nice finish!

After a few weeks of usage, I can tell its a really good razor, but a little to aggressive for me. Maybe I need a little more practice with it.

No matter how good it shaves, a stainless steel razor that ships with blemishes like those shown and described on this thread is not worth $130, IMO.

I understand that vibratory finish is not the same as shiny jewel-like mirror polish, and I wasn't expecting it whatsoever.

BUT...
My razor arrived looking worse than any razor posted on this thread with minute scratches/blemishes. The top cap has at least 4 tiny dents. It seems someone was "manhandling" the top caps and kept banging it against other metal parts. Whoever is handling these razors prior to being shipped(or during manufacturing) needs to be careful that they are handling something that they are selling for $130. Joe claims he inspects each razor before shipment so I suppose he is well aware of this issue, I hope. I'm happy with the performance but still not feeling 100% happy about the blemishes and dents. Scratches and blemishes will happen during normal usage so I'm not so concerned with it, but dents are kind of unacceptable at this price point.

I also have those dents you mention. I hope they don't end up acting as rust start points, but other than that I'm willing to overlook them since the razor performs so well.

Looks like there are different degrees to the finish. Mine has the micro scratches but nothing in the way of some of the larger scratches shown in pictures or anything in the way of dents.The tolerances on this thing are amazing though, you gotta give it that. The cap lines up with the plate with absolutely zero wiggle room.
It shaves really well, super efficient, maybe a little too efficient for my face though. I prefer milder razors and to be fair, I knew what I was getting into but I had to give it a whirl regardless. I've tried several slants and I'd put this a step or two above medium I'd say, definitely a step above the 37c.

The razor is a perfect 10/10 on a price vs performance basis. The intention was to produce a highly precise razor in quantities and at a price that would meet user demand and provide very high performance. The website describled the EXACT level of finish. Yet people whine over microbrasions on the surface of a $130 hand machined razor when anything comparable would be easily double that price? It just goes to show no good deed goes unpunished.

How are you guys just now taking shipment of these razors when they have been out of stock for what, a couple months now?

How are you guys just now taking shipment of these razors when they have been out of stock for what, a couple months now?

Italian Barber has an email notification system when they get back in stock. If I recall correctly, the number of email notifications sent are based on the number of slants that he has on hand...so it's not a global, everyone-gets-one email. As long as you sign-up, you will get notified sooner or later...

Yeah I know, but there are none in stock right now. No one should be getting email notifications. I was told the Wunderbar would be available again later next week-ish.

Top Bottom