What's new

Wunderbar!

Shave with this for the first time. It's a beautiful razor and it's so finely crafted there is no play at all.

I find this razor too harsh though, and I am reminded of the feeling of the Fine slant. Those who like more aggressive razors may like this but I don't think this is for me right now.

Shave with this for the first time. It's a beautiful razor and it's so finely crafted there is no play at all.

I find this razor too harsh though, and I am reminded of the feeling of the Fine slant. Those who like more aggressive razors may like this but I don't think this is for me right now.

What blade are you currently using. I had the same experience when using a Personna Lab...I switched to an Astra SP and the whole experience changed completely. Shaves still aren't as smooth as I hope but at least they are tolerable. The only way I get a perfect shave with the Wunderbar is if I use the slightest, slightest touch --- As soon as the bar hits my skin. Unfortunately, this additional attention requirement usually drives me to opt for another razor.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I just gave the Wunderbar it's first shave. Very nice. Used an Astra SP and Dead Sea soap. Very smooth. Super close. No irritation. Easy 3 pass BBS. I am on the road now for 4 weeks and I won't see the Wunderbar until I get back home.

I've been using the Wunderbar all week and I have to say that it gets better with every shave. My understanding is that to get the most out of it requires a light touch. Since I have the skin of of a fair maiden, I've developed a fairly light touch over time. As such, I settle for a three-pass DFS every time. Any closer than that awakens my inner redneck. The Wunderbar has changed that formula. Using a light touch I am now getting an effortless three-pass BBS with every shave. The only razor I like more than the Wunderbar is my Wolfman, but my Wolfman, while a joy to shave with, does not shave me as close as the Wunderbar. I am now 5 shaves into my first blade, a 7 O'clock yellow, with this razor. I want to go through a few blades before delivering a final verdict, but so far every shave has been BBS with absolutely no pulling or tugging. I think I've got a crush on this razor. :thumbup1:

It is a great razor. I've had it for about a week now, and used it for two shaves. On the first shave, I got an amazing shave with just two passes (WTG, ATG). Today, I did a typical three pass shave and got an easy BBS shave. The Wunderbar is definitely up there in my top tier of razors.

I've got 3 shaves with mine and echo the favorable comments. It might just become the favorite of my many slant razors. Been using the same Feather blade for all the shaves.

I just don't understand why so many people are finding it harsh to use. Yes it is not one of those razors that feel like there is no blade in razor but it's "harshness" is far far away from notoriously harsh razors. I think it is just as "harsh" as Fine Superlite slant(which is not a lot). First few shaves I had with it were a bit harsh for me. I didn't get nicks or irritation but I did get some amount of razor burn. Since then I started using different blades and now it doesn't feel harsh at all. If I use certain blades(Voskhod & 7 o'clock green), I can even apply slight pressure without getting burn. I don't have flawless technique and I don't like aggressive razors at all. On Gillette adjustables, I can't even shave with settings higher than 5. IMO, Wunderbar is about as aggressive as a Slim on 5. I also think that using a decent soap is pretty much a requirement if you want to use this razor without feeling too much harshness. I don't think this razor requires a flawless technique, you just need smoother blades and decent soaps.

...just my 2 cents.

Mine arrived today and will try it out on Sunday. In contrast to the RR Slant Prototype, the blade gap is quite a bit more.

[MENTION=86824]gvw755[/MENTION] - Did you ever get the iKon X3? Any thoughts on it in comparison to the Wunderbar?

@gvw755 - Did you ever get the iKon X3? Any thoughts on it in comparison to the Wunderbar?

Yes, I got the X3 head when it came out shortly after I got my Wunderbar. I was pleasantly surprised that the X3 was very well designed and of good quality. While the Wunderbar was a machining marvel with the fit and finish in stainless steel, the X3 was just as well done in aluminum. Shave for both were superb and efficient. Some say that the Wunderbar left irritation in more sensitive parts of the face, but I did not experience that. One thing I did notice for both was that the shave was so smooth that sometimes I would "lose the blade" because I could not feel it on my face. I finally and to assume that it was doing it's job if the area I just went over didn't have any lather.

I do give the Wunderbar a slight edge in shaving, but not sure if the edge was worth the difference in price. If you budgeted for a Wunderbar and just waiting for an opportunity to buy one, then saving a little more to also get an X3 head is worth the price. If you are a real cheap guy like me, then getting the X3 instead of the Wunderbar is definitely a choice that you won't regret.

I do give the Wunderbar a slight edge in shaving, but not sure if the edge was worth the difference in price. If you budgeted for a Wunderbar and just waiting for an opportunity to buy one, then saving a little more to also get an X3 head is worth the price. If you are a real cheap guy like me, then getting the X3 instead of the Wunderbar is definitely a choice that you won't regret.
Thanks for the quick reply. Price and availability were two reasons I've been thinking about the X3 but I didn't want to just pass on the Wunderbar if it is a significantly better shave. (I'm currently doing the annual restraint and am thinking of continuing in 2017. I may pick up the X3 - and possibly the PAA slant - during the resupply period in January.)

Well, I took the Wunderbar out for a test ride this a.m. I did a four pass shave on my face and did two passes on my head. Unlike some others on this thread, I did not find the razor overly aggressive. In fact, for me it is less aggressive than the ATT S2. The razor has a substantial feel to it and I was very impressed by it's quality and efficiency. Four passes and relatively no touchups and got a BBS shave. Love this razor.

Wow. For $130, the whiskers ought to just spontaneously jump from your beard to the blade when the razor gets close to your face.

You don't want to know how much i paid to get a Merkur Vision years ago (which I so very much regret)... $130 seems a heaps better deal if the new razor is as good as it sounds!

I'm curious how this compares to the ikon x3 slant.

I've only used the X3 three times and the Wunderbar twice, but I find the performance to be very different between the two, despite the similarity in the looks. The Wunderbar is much more efficient. I found the X3 to be quite inefficient. The X3 required too many passes and touch-ups for my liking. I do prefer efficient/"aggressive" razors, though, so YMMV, of course. I plan to unload the X3 (as I can tell that it's not for me, even after only 3 uses), but the Wunderbar is a keeper. I hope that helps.

Have not shaved with it yet, but not to happy with the finish quality. I hear that is common, RazoRock perform well but display finish is not there.
proxy.php
proxy.php

-------------
Was so upset with the finish I had to fix it. At this time the one and only satin version wunderbar. :)
proxy.php
proxy.php

Hope it still works as it should. There is a reason these razors are finished the way they are. The tolerances are ridiculous.

Hope it still works as it should. There is a reason these razors are finished the way they are. The tolerances are ridiculous.

It should be fine. Basically like a salt blast. Used blaster that I use to remove Crizal AR of the fixtures that hold the lenses for chemical coat.

Have not shaved with it yet, but not to happy with the finish quality. I hear that is common, RazoRock perform well but display finish is not there.
proxy.php
proxy.php

-------------
Was so upset with the finish I had to fix it. At this time the one and only satin version wunderbar. :)
proxy.php
proxy.php
Mine came without imperfections, but I have to admit I had always had a thing for sand blast finish, it looks better than the polished version, great job dude

Top Bottom