WTS: homemade bayrum aftershave

Discussion in 'The Badger & Blade Marketplace' started by whodat, Jan 9, 2010.

1. My sister-in-law is a bit of a witch -- as in an herbalist, studied alternative medicines, etc...

This Christmas, she concocted a bay rum aftershave splash from the basic ingredients of: Rum, spices and witch hazel water... The brewing process takes a few weeks, but the end product is amazing in my opinion.

I've tried about a half dozen alcohol-based aftershave splashes and have always had the issues of drying out and skin irritation. I talked to her about why her potion works better and she said the witch hazel and the alcohol work together as an astringent -- but the witch hazel tips the balance toward good for the skin.

Anyway, I asked her to make a larger batch for me -- the longer it sits / brews, the better I hear. I'd like to gauge interest in people who would want to buy from her...

I haven't spoken to her about pricing this out so I'm open to suggestions.

2. It sounds pretty good. That's why I like the Thayers Medicated Superhazel, as it has some alcohol, but the witch hazel counters it very well. Bay rum witch hazel might be nice!

3. she needs a liquor license to sell it

4. From what I read, I agree. If it is made with denatured alcohol (alcohol that contains the bitterest agent known to man) you need a liquor license, collect taxes, etc. etc.

In any case, she shouldn't do anything without talking to a lawyer (BTW, I am a attorney, but I'm a family law attorney). My guess is that is could be a very expensive lesson if she sells it without the proper advice/permits.

5. she could sell it (minus the rum) as an margarita-style mix :laugh:

6. OMG! I love that idea (seriously)!!!! Bay Rum AS, just add you own rum. :)

7. Sounds like Captain Morgan's with witch hazel.

8. I'd jump in and try it!

9. Heck if I can't splash it I can always use it as a mixer !!!
    Happy Shaves:a54:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  10. I'd buy some. You got me with the "sister-in-law who is a witch" part.

Seriously, I'd buy it.

Tom

11. If she could make it with rubbing alcohol it should be OK. Seems to me if it is non-drinkable, same-same Aqua Velva, etc., it should be legal to sell. Now shipping, with the USPS regs may be a different story.

12. Sue

Sue Merit Award Vendor Contributor

She doesn't need a liquor license to sell witch hazel. If she has added her own alcohol it has to be SD (Special Denatured) or perfumers alcohol; and she doesn't need a liquor license. Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol is not the same.

Alcohol is considered Hazmat. She just can't ship alcohol by air or out of the contiguous states without a hazmat permit. Have her ship it Parcel Post/USPS Surface and mark it as: CONSUMNER COMMODITY ORM-D.

So tell her to set her pricing and get to work!! It sounds very good.

Sue

Note: This is my understanding of the regulations of USPS, DOT & FAA. Please refer to their websites.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  13. I'd be interested. After trying the Ogallalla offerings, I've become a bit of a Bay Rum fanatic. Also, you piqued my interest with the "sister-in-law is a bit of a witch" bit . . . gotta support my 'peeps', as it were. :biggrin1:

14. Those are the wrong bay leaves. They have nothing in common with the bay used in bay rum.

15. Jim

Jim Moderator

This post needs prices, volume and shipping costs to stay up in the BST.

16. Why? Would the consumer need to be of legal age to buy it? It's not meant for consumption, so...

Many foods are cooked in wine. There's beer-battered items. And rum cake. None of these require such licenses.

17. My understanding is that because it contains consumable alcohol (rum) that one would need to have a license to sell it. Beer battered foods, foods cooked in wine, and rum cake do not contain alcohol as finished products. The alcohol burns off or is altered during cooking one way or another. If she decided to use perfumer's alcohol, and then add spices and/or fragrances in order to make it smell like rum, that would be fine I should think.

18. Sue

Sue Merit Award Vendor Contributor

The bay leaf in bay rum is pimenta racemosa and is a different species than the bay used in cooking. Sometimes the plant (starter tree) is on ebay.
    Sue

19. I hadn't considered the legalities of it but I guess I will now! I'll check into things and get back to you all. Luckily I work around a few lawyers...

I also hadn't considered the "kit" possibility -- I don't think that would work easily though, since the rum is infused for 3 weeks before adding the witch hazel solution...

Thanks for the input!