What's new

Would you recommend TOBS?

Like many on this forum, TOBS Sandalwood was the gateway drug for me into wetshaving. I have used a bunch of creams and am now mainly a soap guy, but TOBS is just great stuff. Hard to beat the value too.

Taylor of Old Bond Street is my go to shaving cream. I currently have Ceaderwood and the Rose scents. They are easy to lather and perform great.

TOBS is awesome! I've tried Avocado and Grapefruit and Mr. Taylor. Avocado has the best performance. Trumpers also has fine options. I like their sandalwood. And Simpsons is a personal favorite since they don't use coloring. I like Lavender and Vetiver.

There are fine creams in tubes out there: Speick, Proraso red and green, Musgo Real, Lavanda, La Toja. If you want to try a bunch of stuff and save money, it can be an investment to buy a whole bunch of them from a European vendor at their local prices and justify the shipping costs.

If you are looking to reduce costs, try Kiss my face in the large pump bottles. They are a great value at less than a dollar an ounce.

My first two soap/cream purchases when I started with traditional methods were TOBS Sandalwood and Grapefruit.
I got tired of the Sandalwood scent after a while...but loved the Grapefruit all the way through.

Keep those containers when you're done too.

The first shave soap/cream I ever got was TOBS Sandalwood. These days I have about 30 soaps. Most of the highly regarded ones ( Catie's, Stirling, B&M, Haslinger, etc..) and the Sandalwood is still in my rotation. It might be my favorite scent and it is a good performer.

I've tried several of the TOBS "flavors." My favorite so far is Jermyn Street -- I'm on my second tub, and will probably always have it on hand. I don't find the TOBS creams to be as nice as Truefitt & Hill (1805 is exceptional!), but they're absolutely worth trying.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Heck yeah.

Many sing the praises of TOBS Sandalwood - and it is fine - but the Almond is a luxury treat.

Reminds of an almond croissant ...

AA

TOBS make great creams (and soaps).

I like their Avocado (more like garden fresh cucumber)
Eton College
Sandalwood

Jermyn Street is fantastic. Bought the cologne too. I can't describe the scent, but it's fantastic. Grapefruit smells of actual grapefruit to me. Wife loves both and that helps.

Proraso offers a great shave considering the relatively low cost, but then again... I still end up buying a ton of shaving software.

I'll also chime in and sing praise for TOBS. You made a great choice!

TOBS was one of my first creams, along with AoS. I have both sandalwood and grapefruit. Both are great performers with intoxicating scents, but I think I prefer sandalwood over grapefruit (unlike most people, it seems).

I've never tried coconut but I've only heard good things about the scent.

Let us know what you think once you've tried it!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm quite a fan of TOBS creams! It's always good to hear someone find something they enjoy. Don't worry about others' opinions on it. It wouldn't be around for this long if enough folks didn't enjoy it.

TOBS Avocado was what I used when I started DE shaving. The only reason I didn't finish the tub was that I did not much care for the scent (although many others do). Recently, I tried both the Coconut and the Peppermint, and I thoroughly enjoyed both the performance and the scent of each. I'm not getting rid of those for anything.

By the way $12 for a tub is a steal. Congratulations on that, too!

P.S., I hear that the TOBS soaps are not worth trying. Stick with the creams.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
This is interesting. TOBS Sandlewood is the only shave soap I have ever had a bad reaction to. Had some irritation and turned my skin red. After using it one day a friend remarked, "Wow. Were you out in the sun too long today?" Prior to this I never had any kind of reaction to any soap or cream.

That is a known reaction to sandalwood for some.

P.S., I hear that the TOBS soaps are not worth trying. Stick with the creams.

For what it's worth, I have the TOBS Sandalwood soap and I find it to be a superb performer, probably better than the Sandalwood cream. The soap scent is similar but with noticeable differences. I'd say the cream has the better scent.

My humble opinion: Buy something else. I had a tub of the St. James. LOVED the scent. The performance was average at best. Very greasy cream. Protection was average as it was the one cream or soap that would give me weepers. At times it would irritate my skin as well. I wanted to like it more but it just wasn't for me.

Proraso & Arko creams are better and cheaper. YMMV.

So far I find TOBS quite wonderful. A few shaves with the Aloe and three on Grapefruit and I'm pretty much sold I think. Got to get enough product in otherwise you get a lather than can look good but be non-gliding.

Top Bottom