What's new

Wooden cased Gillettes

I have this razor, with the blade holder and the Richwood box. Just above the "screw" part on the bottom of the handle, is stamped PAT. JAN 13, 1920.

But my razor is rather tarnished. What do you suggest I use to clean and polish this beauty. I don't think the boiling/scrubbing bubbles routine is called for here!

This is a candidate for the Aluminum Foil/Baking Soda solution trick as outlined by Brian here.

This works really well, and takes advantage of a chemical reaction to revert the oxidized silver back into "shiny" silver without removing any of it, like polishes do.

I've used this many times, and it works well.

This is a candidate for the Aluminum Foil/Baking Soda solution trick as outlined by Brian here.

This works really well, and takes advantage of a chemical reaction to revert the oxidized silver back into "shiny" silver without removing any of it, like polishes do.

I've used this many times, and it works well.

Thanks for the link Brad!

Last edited:
So do you also have one of those 2-piece razors in your wooden Richwood case Steve? Gold or silver-plated?

Jake, Sorry for the confusion, I don't have one of those excellent razors just the New Improved Big Fellow . I was just commenting that the three of these are on the top of my DE list..

My dad just picked up a "big razor" in a wood box with Gillette carved inside. As he doesn't have a digital camera (and no internet anyway) I haven't been able to see it but I'm guessing it's a big fellow. He said the box is in spectacular condition as is the razor. Only other identification that he can notice anyways on the razor is a date of 1920 on the handle. I'm gonna be seeing it this weekend so I'm hopeful.....:blush:

Nice but not as nice as the OP's:

proxy.php

Still very nice & I bet the wooden case will clean & polish up very well. Plus you or your father should try the baking soda & aluminum foil silver cleaning technique on the razor. It will shine again!

Still very nice & I bet the wooden case will clean & polish up very well. Plus you or your father should try the baking soda & aluminum foil silver cleaning technique on the razor. It will shine again!

Yep I'll probably do that fairly shortly, though getting ready for deer hunting now, so I'm fairly busy, that along with getting the house ready for winter :001_rolle

Any suggestions for cleaning the box up?

I have this razor, with the blade holder and the Richwood box. Just above the "screw" part on the bottom of the handle, is stamped PAT. JAN 13, 1920.

But my razor is rather tarnished. What do you suggest I use to clean and polish this beauty. I don't think the boiling/scrubbing bubbles routine is called for here!

What do you guys use to polish the wooden box. I was just given a Richwood and a New Improved Gold razor. Is it ok to do the aluminum foil clean with a gold razor? Thanks.

My friend just won this razor and case on ebay. I dont remeber seeing a single ring or double ring in a all wood case before . It sure looks nice

What do you guys use to polish the wooden box. I was just given a Richwood and a New Improved Gold razor. Is it ok to do the aluminum foil clean with a gold razor? Thanks.

No, that is only for silver as it removes the tarnish. For gold, I usually just soak in hot, soapy water and a quick spray of Scrubbing Bubbles.

-jim

My friend just won this razor and case on ebay. I dont remeber seeing a single ring or double ring in a all wood case before . It sure looks nice

I think the case has only lost the leather. The hinge looks not original.

Or maybe is this the case for a gold Double Ring? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here it is after the baking soda treatment and a nice rub down with Mother's.
Can't get the bottom knob to come very clean, though this seems to be an issue for me with my silver plated razors. Though I must say, she sure did come out purdy!:thumbup:

proxy.php

Here it is after the baking soda treatment and a nice rub down with Mother's.
Can't get the bottom knob to come very clean, though this seems to be an issue for me with my silver plated razors. Though I must say, she sure did come out purdy!:thumbup:

Very nice! And +1 on the bottom knobs. Must of been all those years of being twisted on.

That knurling is real grippy too.

-jim

Tha razor looks great! Do you mind telling us how much your father paid for that set? Thanks.

Tha razor looks great! Do you mind telling us how much your father paid for that set? Thanks.

About $15 in a box of junk along with a really beat up red/black new improved razor/case. The New Improved is now copper with gold accents! :laugh:

That's really great! A real antique -- worthy of a serious collector and a great razor to use when you want to feel history in your had. This is to a large degree the incentive we seem to share when searching out beautiful, functional, vintage razors that demonstrate and reflect the craftsmen of the past and the manufacturing prowess of one of the major international companies of its day -- Gillette.

Congratulations again!

That's really great! A real antique -- worthy of a serious collector and a great razor to use when you want to feel history in your had. This is to a large degree the incentive we seem to share when searching out beautiful, functional, vintage razors that demonstrate and reflect the craftsmen of the past and the manufacturing prowess of one of the major international companies of its day -- Gillette.

Congratulations again!

Agreed, I'll try a few shaves with it and see what I think, then we'll see if it becomes a jewel in the collection or someone else's piece :001_smile

Gotta admit, compared to the other Gillettes I have, this is quite substantialy, definitely built better then any other razor I have (except perhaps my Merkur HD which of course is modeled on it lol)

Thanks Whydert. Very nice set there. Do you have other gold-plated wooden cased Gillettes? What a beautiful model. Any idea its age? And can I assume the pat # is the same as what Achim posted above -- and that it's British?

And you are correct Achim -- my razor does have the same patent # you wrote above. Interesting...

It looks like Gillette used the New Improved Richwood case for some other NEW razors. Some years ago I received a President in a Richwood case with gold letter. I thought it´s the wrong case, but now I´m not sure.

Now I´ve received the mystic british NEW in a Richwood case (Richwood No81 Gold). The middle of the handle has lost his plating and is copper:

Last edited:
Top Bottom