What's new

Wondering about adding an ink to my inventory. Suggestions?

After looking hard at these (among others), I opted to also add the J.Herbin 1670 Caroube Chypre. I think I'm done for awhile now. :)

Caroube Chypre
Cocao Shimmer
Carmel Sparkle
Golden Sands
Brandy Dazzle
Terracotta

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
After looking hard at these (among others), I opted to also add the J.Herbin 1670 Caroube Chypre. I think I'm done for awhile now. :)

Caroube Chypre
Cocao Shimmer
Carmel Sparkle
Golden Sands
Brandy Dazzle
Terracotta

It sounds like you should have some fun! I have Caroube Chypre, Golden Sands, and Brandy Dazzle from the ones above. They're all enjoyable! The inks alone are great, but with the sparkle factor added, it's like the icing on the cake. That Caroube Chypre will look the most impressive with wide, wet nibs and flex nibs.

I've never tried this before. Here are ink samples of my browns (less Sheaffer Kings Gold and the not yet received Herbin Caroube Chypre). The paper is pedestrian stuff: an off white note pad and a slightly cream colored Skilcraft mini lined pad. It should also be noted that all my inks, save the new Herbin Lie de The and two Seitz-Kreuznach's, are all well over 10 years old and have most likely changed hues and tonalities with age. Anyhow, here we go! :bored:

$Brown Ink Comparo X4 plus.jpg

The J. Herbin 1670 Cyprus Carob ink showed up today along with a 10 pk of 3ml indutrial 18GA syringes for cartridge refilling. Haven't done a full eval yet but did a quick dip. It's very similar in color to several other darker browns I have. And yes under the right light you can see the glitter. Speaking of which after really shaking the bottle well the gold glitter settles very fast which (pun intended) is unsettling! Is this normal?

Added the Cyprus Carob to the previously uploaded image of my brown inks. I had tried for the first time to reuse a cartridge. Took an old Platinum cartridge cleaned it and loaded it with an 18GA industial 3ml syringe. Darned thing wouldn't write even after emptying and reloading. Don't know if the ball bearing in it or something else was wrong. Gave up and loaded my converter. The Platinum Composer #3776 wrote VERY wet initially which is evident at the bottom of the updated image. At least it shows off the glitter and tone of a heavier line. The right side appears lighter because of the lamps I used to illuminate the pages. I'm liking this ink. :)
Brown ink comparo X4.JPG

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
The J. Herbin 1670 Cyprus Carob ink showed up today along with a 10 pk of 3ml indutrial 18GA syringes for cartridge refilling. Haven't done a full eval yet but did a quick dip. It's very similar in color to several other darker browns I have. And yes under the right light you can see the glitter. Speaking of which after really shaking the bottle well the gold glitter settles very fast which (pun intended) is unsettling! Is this normal?

Great to hear! I must have missed this post. The particles do settle quickly. It's either giving it a little shake, turning it upside-down every sentence, or then just writing in a way that you're dumping the dust out heavily in the beginning to make the beginning of the writing have flair.

To comment on your latest post, the ball bearing in your cartridge won't work well with that type of ink, as you've discovered.

Not a huge fan of the shimmer inks, although I have samples of the first 10 that Diamine released. There are 3-5 I haven't tried yet. And I have had them for over a year. Golden Sands was a nice surprise though.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Not a huge fan of the shimmer inks, although I have samples of the first 10 that Diamine released. There are 3-5 I haven't tried yet. And I have had them for over a year. Golden Sands was a nice surprise though.

What drew you to Golden Sands? I have 6 of the Shimmertastic inks and a few J. Herbin 1670 inks. I think that they're all really interesting inks, regardless of the "shimmer" in them. Golden Sands reminds me of Apache Sunset or J Herbin Ambre De Birmanie, but with some gold flakes in them. I think that the inks are all applicable in their own context. I like them all, if applied in the right manner, on an appropriate medium.

What drew you to Golden Sands? I have 6 of the Shimmertastic inks and a few J. Herbin 1670 inks. I think that they're all really interesting inks, regardless of the "shimmer" in them. Golden Sands reminds me of Apache Sunset or J Herbin Ambre De Birmanie, but with some gold flakes in them. I think that the inks are all applicable in their own context. I like them all, if applied in the right manner, on an appropriate medium.

Not sure. But I was part of a group thing that picked up bottles of the first ten. Those of us that participated each got 10 ml of each to try. I had big hopes for the reds. What a let down. Unrealistic expectations perhaps? Golden Sands was just one I tried - and I was surprised by how much I liked it. More than any of the others. Blue Lightning was one of the better ones. I normally used my Konrad which in addition to being a very wet pen - I had also put a big fat B nib in it from Goulet, because I only marginally liked the nib it came with. And it can be taken apart to be cleaned pretty easy if necessary.

Top Bottom