What's new

Wolf Whiskers Knot Type

So I recently discovered Wolf Whiskers brushes, and now I really want one (I'm hoping to get on the next "open" waitlist). With that being said, I'm curious to ask everyone's opinion on knot type.

I've primarily been a boar brush guy, but have recently only been using my synthetic Stirling brush; it just works so much better for me than my Semogue boars. The price of the brushes range from around $68 - $81 for synthetics, and $70 - 98$ for badgers (although they can go higher depending on the badger knot). Here's my question: do I go with something I know works well (synthetic, looking at the "Black Wolf" synthetic knot) or go for the badger? For the price it seems crazy to get anything but a quality badger brush, given how cheap synthetics typically are by comparison. On the same token, though, I love my current synthetic.

I only used one cheap badger brush when I first started, so I don't have a great reference point. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

Does the black wolf have decent backbone? I don't need anything crazy, just want something that can lather hard soaps (i.e. DR Harris).

Here are my Wolfs. They are all great! I prefer the 2 bands. Soft tips, great backbone.

Left to right.

1. Elite Razor Manchurian
2. Shave Revolution 2 band
3. Nathan Clark Envy White
4. WW Black Wolf
5. WW Black Wolf
6. TGN 2 band finest

IMG_0510.JPG

Last edited:
The Wolf Whiskers handles are so nice that they deserve an exceptional knot. These are the nicest handles made in my opinion and deserve a really high quality silvertip knot. To put a cheap knot in an exceptional handle that you have to fight for a spot on a waiting list to get just seems kinda wrong to me. If I wanted a synthetic brush I'd likely just buy a Striling Kong or RazoRock Synthetic in the cheap plastic handle and go with it that way.

I really enjoy the Shavemac 2 band Silvertip knot (about $120) that I have in my Wolf Whisker's brush. This knot is exceptional in every way.

For a better priced knot that's getting exceptional reviews I'd look at a loose knot from EliteRazor, probably their Manchurian (around $55). This knot is supposed to have many of the qualities of the higher end knots. I'll be putting this knot in a future Wolf Whisker's handle myself.

This is my Elite Razor Manchurian in the Octoberfest color scheme. This knot is legit business!

IMG_0466.JPG
The Wolf Whiskers handles are so nice that they deserve an exceptional knot. These are the nicest handles made in my opinion and deserve a really high quality silvertip knot. To put a cheap knot in an exceptional handle that you have to fight for a spot on a waiting list to get just seems kinda wrong to me. If I wanted a synthetic brush I'd likely just buy a Striling Kong or RazoRock Synthetic in the cheap plastic handle and go with it that way.

I really enjoy the Shavemac 2 band Silvertip knot (about $120) that I have in my Wolf Whisker's brush. This knot is exceptional in every way.

For a better priced knot that's getting exceptional reviews I'd look at a loose knot from EliteRazor, probably their Manchurian (around $55). This knot is supposed to have many of the qualities of the higher end knots. I'll be putting this knot in a future Wolf Whisker's handle myself.

These are some absolutely incredible brushes! I think you all have convinced me to go with a nice badger knot if I decide (or get lucky enough) to pull the trigger on a WW brush.

I'm really digging that Shavemac two-band silvertip....

How's the backbone on the black wolf? Might still try to pick up one of those knots for a different handle.
I don't know enough about what has backbone and what doesn't to give you a good answer. Sorry. I'm sure others that know more than I do will chime in tho!

Here is my WW with the super plush knot. I'm currently on the waitlist for another which will have a black wolf. If you reach for your synthetics more often than I think you should go with what you will use more often. His brushes deserve to be used. They are awesome!

tapatalk_1485376357801.jpeg

Here's a pic of one of mine. This one has a Shavemac 24mm 2 band silvertip knot in it. The knot is bulb shaped and the loft is 52.

Attachments

• DSC_0847.jpg
    DSC_0847.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0843.jpg
    DSC_0843.jpg
    756.5 KB · Views: 50
I would get a nice badger and swing for the fences.

If you like boar, Envy White is nice. TGN Silvertip Grade A is softer but really luxurious.

Peter only offers good options.

Shavemac is awesome. In my opinion it's not worth the price for the knot alone and it's a bit too soft. I have a two band silvertip Shavemac. It's not literally twice as nice as other badger brushes. It is very very nice though. They're absolutely gorgeous and consistent. If you get one you should have it on hand to send to Peter before your number comes up. Ask him to set it a little lower than usual or it can feel sort of wimpy.

Thank you for all of the responses. I think it will come down to either the Black Wolf or Elite Razor Manchurian, but after seeing all of the praise, I think I'm actually leaning towards the Black Wolf.

Now it's just a matter of getting on the next waitlist!

Personally, I'd go with the Elite Razor Manchurian simply because I worry that the quality may drop at some point (batches of hair are different) and I'd miss out on a unique experience (e.g. Rooney Heritage hair). You should be able to get a Black Wolf/Tuxedo knot for a long long time. The Black Wolf is a great knot though and you will not be disappointed.

Another option, pick up a wolf whiskers black wolf and while your on the waiting list, head over to Elite Razor and buy a beautiful handle with a Manchurian knot from Bob Quinn.

My most recent purchase
Prism Handle.JPG

Top Bottom