What's new

Witch Hazel

letterk said:
Since I was one of the original business advisors, I expect a percentage of the profits :smile:

Absolutely! And thanks for stepping forward as one of the first silent partners, I can only assume that there's a cheque in the mail? :lol:

Actions speak louder than words, and you're shouting right now my friend! :w00t:

Peace,

Pierre

vox_rox said:
Absolutely! And thanks for stepping forward as one of the first silent partners, I can only assume that there's a cheque in the mail? :lol:

Actions speak louder than words, and you're shouting right now my friend! :w00t:

I tried, but I think it got caught up in customs. :biggrin:

S

Sam

I agree that Witch Hazel is the way to go. I have tried a lot of the so-called toners and potions - Clinique, Anthony Logistic, California North, Kiehls, Baxters, to name a few - and they all had witch hazel as one of the top three ingredients. I did find that those with alcohol seemed to stimulate the production of the oil glands in that the alcohol dried me out.

I have used witch hazel by Thayers for 2 years now, and the Natureade 80 aloe gel. I find that I do not need a moisturizer at night and for a refreshing change of pace, the Thayers with Lemon in summer is nice, but so is the Davinci Water by QED. If I dry out, I hit the Naturade aloe gel at night.

Skin care is very personal, such as some like the T&H balm (I do not) and some like Coral Skin Food (I do). However, I do think that most men would benefit from the Thayers witch hazel rather than the commercial toners.

Sam

vox_rox said:
I simply do not understand why we Canadians are relegated to Internet purchasing almost everything we need to wet shave. I have found one store in Calgary that sells Thayer's W/H, and it's quite pricey there, but I have no choice, and I now really like what it does for my face after a shave. Shave Cream? Foggedaboudit! The same store, a natural food store, also sells some Tom's of Maine products, but not the shave cream. In fact, the Canadian distributor doesn't evne have it on their list, and the woman at the store actually tried to convince me that it must be discontinued.

As for hardware - nada. No local suppliers of safety razors, blades, nothing. The local Crabtree & Evelyn sells their own sellection of shaving creams, soaps, balms etc., which are admittedly good products (though I find the smell pretty overpowering), and they have a small selection of brushes, that's it. That's all. Oh, and a couple of tacky-looking Trac II handles, like that's someone's idea of a wet shave. Puhleeeease!

So, if you're Canadian, pay the shipping, pay the GST plus the $5 surcharge at the border, pay in $US, pay it all, just so that you can get the same shave that should be your friggin' birth rite!

And get used to phrase: "Sorry, no, we don't carry that product."

Peace,

Pierre

Pierce,

You say that you are in Calgary? Then I say check out O'CONNORS MENS
(Located at 1415 - 1ST STREET S.W.) I was talking to a service rep at Trumpers a while ago and this store is one of only 2 retailers in Canada that have Trumpers products... and hey, if you are there, please let me know what it is like. I think that O'Connors also carries AOS products and some Dovo/Merkur hardware. As well, you should also be able to get AOS at Holt Renfrew (I expect that there is one in Calgary, but I don't know). Other than that, well, I would suggest looking up some cigar shops (they often have fine things other than cigars), checking out some "ethnic" shops (Itallian for Proraso, Turkish for Arko, Etc). As for Thayers, well, the best I can suggest is look in Health food stores (where you will certainly find hippies and birks all around you).

letterk said:
Maybe one of you enterprising Canadians need to start a wet shaving store/website?

There is one: Men Essentials... and luckily for me it is located about 10 minutes away... though, while I love the place I like to hunt for stuff at weird little stores... and I've found some great stuff that way (AOS at a cigar shop, KMF at the grocery store, Proraso at a little Itallian store, Thayers WH at a little health food store, etc)

Suzuki said:
I have just joined the board as I have been an off and on wetshaver for several years.

Having read the reviews of Thayers, I am going to add some to my daily routine. Living in Toronto, I should be able to get it somewhere (the local independant drug store stocks the brand, but not the lavender) - I will have to try some natural food/drug stores.

For the others in Canada - I share your pain about the difficulty getting wetshaving supplies - what about considering group buys from the US or Europe to amortize shipping/duty? I know that non-liquid items that weigh up to a pound and fit into a padded envelope can be sent pretty cheaply (i.e. blades, razors, soaps, etc).

In Toronto I would suggest the T&H shop (Scotia Plaza 40 King St. West, Street Level) as well as B SLEUTH & STATESMAN (130 KING STREET W.EXCHANGE TOWER).

Sorry for the multiple posts here... but I don't know how to quote more than one person per response.

Edit: I forgot to mention this, but the West Coast Canucks (if there are any here at B&B) may want to check out Momentum (1237 Burrard Street, Vancouver)... Apparently this place will be an online shop soon, so then it may be of more value to all of us.

I have just ordered Derby blades via e-bay (which, with shipping are going to cost only CAD $0.25 each and will get here sans-duty as they are below the CAD $20 thrshold).

Depending on what people want and where they are located, it might not be too difficult to arrange a group buy.

In terms of Canadian online suppliers, there is men's essentials in Ottawa and the Trafalgar Shop in Toronto - pehaps some judicious lobbying could encourage them to broaden their stock. We would still have to pay shipping, but at least it would be domestic and we wouldn't have to deal with duty, etc.

As for the T&H and Sleuth & Statesman - their prices are astronomical - Merkur Futur razor for CAD$198!

Suzuki said:
...In terms of Canadian online suppliers, there is men's essentials in Ottawa and the Trafalgar Shop in Toronto...

I can't say anything about the prices of any of the places that I've noted as I've never visited them; I simply know that they exist. As for the two online retailers that you mention, well, I've ordered from both (and have visited ME in person as well) and can say the following:

- I've had nothing but good experiences with ME. They include samples, which are always nice/fun. Prices are fair. Shipping is inexpensive (or free if you order enough) and fast... all around, I think that ME is great.

- On the contrary, I was not impressed with the Trafalgar shop. Their prices are high (though, not astronomical), shipping is slow and not as inexpensive as ME but be warned; the Trafalgar shop ships from the USA, so you will pay the $5 customs fee as well as paying taxes when you pick up your goodies (in my case I paid taxes TWICE; once when I ordered and AGAIN when I picked up my gear at the post office!). I complained several times to the Trafalgar shop about the double taxation and, after getting no response from them, contacted the BBB... after quite a while (the delay being the fault of the BBB, not of the Trafalgar shop, I should note) I did receive some satisfaction; the Trafalgar shop refunded my entire purchase price, so I essentially paid only the $5 customs fee and the taxes for my products. So, in the end I did get a VERY good price, but it was a royal pain in the ***. However, to be fair to the Trafalgar shop, I have been nothing but impressed with the brush that I ordered from them. It is branded as "Trafalgar", and I don't know who built it for them, but it works GREAT.

That's my 2 cents on these shops. Also, if you are loooking for a limited selection of Taylors products you may consider Juliet's Day Spa. I haven't personally ordered from these people, but my brother has and said that they were good to deal with.

Good evening gentlemen. I'm quite a witch hazel fan for the reasons discussed so I thought this would be an appropriate topic for my first question. I order the Lavender, Rose and unscented Thayer's from classicshaving but have not yet seen any online vendors offering a lemon scent. Can somebody please tell me where I might get some?
Thanks,
Jeff

jmhAZ said:
Good evening gentlemen. I'm quite a witch hazel fan for the reasons discussed so I thought this would be an appropriate topic for my first question. I order the Lavender, Rose and unscented Thayer's from classicshaving but have not yet seen any online vendors offering a lemon scent. Can somebody please tell me where I might get some?
Thanks,
Jeff

Thayers
Natural Pharmaceuticals

Kalyx.com

www.americasnutrition.com

InterNatural

Google comes up with many sites that offer all the Thayers products. I wish I had a brick and morter shop near by that sold all of these, but online shopping is fun in its own way. (I spend too much online :blush: )

jmhAZ said:
Thanks,
Jeff

Welcome to B&B, Jeff!

Thanks for the welcome and the lead on the lemon withch hazel. I now see why it was not included with the other three on classicshaving.com, it is not one of the alcohol-free flavors. Still, the ingredient list says there is only 10% alcohol. Is there an appreciable difference to the alcohol-free varieties at such a low alcohol content?
Thanks,
Jeff

Resurrecting this post for fellow Vancouverites:

Accidentally discovered that Nutraways store on Lonsdale/13th in North Vancouver has a selection of Premium Witch Hazel bottles. They also have another location in Kerrisdale, on 41st.

Top Bottom