What's new

*** WINNER***Grudge Match: OT Vs NEW

Who's going to win the Grudge Match?

• The Old Type

• The NEW

Results are only viewable after voting.
Try another make of blade?

Plus... as you perfectly know, each OT is different and has its own "character"... I have some of them which are like kittens, while others are like angry lions.... On top of it, the "proper" blade can convert one into another in no time...

My 1917 SR shines with a Feather in it... The Canadian SR I'm using these days feels really "aggressive" with a PSI...

But always using a steep angle here, btw.

Stan, maybe you need a meagre collection of OTs...

Hi,

Well, I have used other blades in the past: Gillette Platinum plus, then Schick Plus Platinum, those before they disappeared and I had to buy Personna Laboratory blades in 1000 packs. I did try some 7 O'Clock Yellows some years back after discovering B+B, but didn't like those in anything and went back to the Personnas. I could see a very deep rabbit hole with buying all manner of blades, so stopped right there and went back to Personnas.

In any case, this OT has always been like this for me regardless of blade. I have a scheme where I can make use of it, so I think I will just stick with that.

Stan

Feb 27: Grudge Match: Old Type thick cap vs NEW SC

Lather: Valobra Crema di Sapone Purissima
Brush: Semogue 620
Razor: Gillette Old Type "thick cap" (1921-29)
Second Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb (squared corner tabs)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Permasharp Stainless [61]
Splash: RazoRock The Stallion

Both razors used the same blade being swapped between razors. The NEW SC shaved my right side (I'm right handed) and the Old Type shaved the left side. The NEW SC used its stock the thin common bar handle (which I don't like) and my Old Type used a fat Tech handle.

Efficiency: Old Type by a hair

Smoothness: Both razors were equally smooth on the first pass. The Old Type was much smoother on the second and third pass.

Ease of Shave: Old Type, mainly because it was smoother again today. I could whip it around my face with reckless abandon, while I had to pay more attention with the NEW SC because it was harsher and I felt more apt to nick me.

Overall Experience: Old Type wins again - I just enjoyed it more.

Winner of Round 3: Old Type thick cap

Recap and Important Note: For this challenge, the Old Type thick cap won all three rounds, and as a result, I will change my recommendations from now on. I used to say to people wanting a vintage Gillette to just get a NEW - best razor ever built, and from now on, I will recommend the Old Type thick cap.

Note that had I used the Old Type thin cap during this challenge, the results would surely have been the opposite. To me the thick cap and thin cap are completely different razors, one is smooth and one is borderline harsh and needs to be tamed by adding a shim or two. The strange part is that since I'm a steep angle shaver, the thicker top cap should make very little difference in the shave. There's something else going on with the geometry that makes one vastly better than the other.

Hi,

You have confirmed what I had thought. Now, I wish I had spent more time using that Thick Cap I had. At the time, though, I bought three replated razors to essentially duplicate what I had at the Farm in NC, in an apartment in TX. So, I used those three in the same manner as I was used to and that meant the OT Thick Cap was only used for an ATG pass once or twice a week.

Ironically, it was the differences in the New and the Old at the apartment v the ones at the farm that initially led me to B+B. It was a RFB New v a US New LC and an OT Thick v a Thin. I had never known of either, and then found there was a lot more I never knew of to boot.

Oh, well. One more day to go.

Stan

All this talk of thick vs thin has me thinking I need to compare them side by side. I find very little difference, but use a thin much more often. For me the thin beat the LC 2 out of three rounds, but feel if I would have used a bar handle SC it the results may have went the other way.

I have enjoyed reading the reports from this Grudge Match, which have been very surprising to me. While I love my Old Types, especially with two shims, my NEWs have always ruled supreme due to their unique combo of being smooth, forgiving, and efficient.
After the 3 official rounds, I did use a thick head OT and found it to be slightly smoother than the more common thin head. Maybe I should give with that razor more time in the rotation?

Round 3

Some background: The previous two rounds I tried to keep things consistent, but this time I decided to use different blades. I put a Gillette Seven O'Clock yellow in the NEW (my favourite blade) and a Voskhod Teflon Coated in the Old Type (which are normally too mild for me). I had two-day's growth of stubble, and used slightly lukewarm water - I'm normally a cold water shaver but this was to give the Old Type a fighting chance.

The set-up:
Soap: MWF
Brush: RR Plissoft synthetic
Preparation: thin lather on my face for around 30 seconds
Lather technique: Palm lathered
Blades: Gillette Seven O'clock yellow in NEW, Voskhod in Old Type
Razors: Ball-end handle Old Type v ball-end handle NEW
Aftershave: Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel

Efficiency: A draw - both gave me a BBS shave. (The Old Type gave me a poor first pass, WTG, due to the milder blade, but caught up later.)

Smoothness: NEW, on all passes.

Ease: Draw.

Winner: NEW

My observations:
1. Of all the rounds, this was the closest - it's about finding the right blade for the Old Type.
2. Having said that, my personal preference is a smooth razor with a sharp blade (as opposed to a more aggressive razor with a mild blade) as I'm less likely to get razor burn that way, so I'm biased towards the NEW.
3. Possibly the Old Type would have taken it if I'd used Voskhods in both razors - I find these blades over-praised; they just strike me as dull.
4. I felt more blade using the Old Type than the NEW, but there was less difference between them this time around (I previously used Gillette yellows in both).
5. As before, I'm picking the NEW because it was smoother and more relaxing for me. Both razors shave perfectly, it's just that the NEW is an easier ride.
6. I preferred the NEW because it's easier to use, but I still think the ball-end handled Old Type is the best looking razor ever made:

Gillette Old Type and NEW
by Matthew Wild, on Flickr

It never ceases to amaze me... this shaving thing of ours...

Not only have I preferred the OT over the NEW since I first tried the former... I even found the NEW LC harsher... while I've always found it smooth. Of course, if I used it next week, these impression might change... My "muscle memory" is constantly improving... more or less, but I always "need" some days to get re-accustomed to a razor. Except the OT thin cap... curious indeed.

Moral.... let's use them all as much as possible!

Hi,

Round 3

Thin Cap Old on left, LC New on the right
Ball end handles on both
Two day old Personna Lab Blue blades
My Carden Farms and Oster soap mix, face lathered.
Two passes on one lathering as I always do. WTG then ATG.
The Old is shimless, BTW.

Efficiency: Old.

Smoothness: New.

Ease of the shave: New.

Overall experience: New. The New side has no irritation.

Winner of round (two): New.

In both matchups againse the New SC and LC, it seems like the irritation from the Old is less on the third day. Today I read about someone using a duller blade in the Old to help.

So, now I am thinking maybe I ought to try a well-used blade in the Old Type. My usual is to always have a new blade in the Old and use it for only an ATG pass a couple times a week. What I do is use one blade in the Fasan for a week then bin it and move the blade from the Old into the Fasan and load a new blade into the Old. Maybe I ought to try it the other way around....

Stan

Final update

@Duke of Buckingham

Round 1=NEW: Round 2= NEW: Round 3= NEW

@NinthSphere

Round 1=OT: Round 2=OT: Round 3= OT

@troy

Round 1=NEW: Round 2= OT: Round 3=OT

@Komboloi

Round 1= Draw: Round 2= NEW: Round 3= OT

@Graydog

Round 1=NEW: Round 2=OT: Round 3= OT

@emwolf

Round 1= OT : Round 2 = OT: Round 3 = OT

@GlazedBoker

Round 1=NEW: Round 2=OT: Round 3= OT

@wgn!

Round 1=Draw: Round 2=NEW: Round 3= Draw

@DrAwkward

Round 1=NEW: Round 2=NEW: Round 3= NEW

@tylehman

Round 1=OT: Round 2= OT: Round 3= OT

@bobmsp

Round 1= NEW: Round 2= NEW: Round 3= NEW

@Pepin

Round 1=NEW: Round 2=OT: Round 3=OT

@muiriddin

Round 1=OT: Round 2=OT: Round 3=NEW

@KeenDogg

Round 1=NEW: Round 2= OT: Round 3 = NEW

@Useless shaver

Round 1=OT: Round 2=OT: Round 3= OT

@Haggises

@rudyt

Round 1=OT: Round 2= OT: Round 3= OT

@mlb0926ad
Round 1= NEW: Round 2= OT:

@imatabor
Round 1= OT: Round 2= NEW: Round 3= NEW

@KQY61
Round 1= NEW: Round 2= NEW: Round 3= NEW

Standing so far:

Round 1
Old Type: 7
NEW: 10
Draw: 2

Round 2
Old Type: 12
NEW: 7
Draw

Round 3
Old Type: 11
NEW: 7
Draw: 1

So the Official winner of the Grudge Match, by a 2-3 decision, is....
THE OLD TYPE
proxy.php

Thanks everyone for playing!

Last edited:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Oh Toby will be so happy!!!!! Thanks for putting it on, John!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Note that had I used the Old Type thin cap during this challenge, the results would surely have been the opposite. To me the thick cap and thin cap are completely different razors, one is smooth and one is borderline harsh and needs to be tamed by adding a shim or two. The strange part is that since I'm a steep angle shaver, the thicker top cap should make very little difference in the shave. There's something else going on with the geometry that makes one vastly better than the other.

The thick cap simply reduces blade exposure, the rigidity stays the same, which smooths the razor out. Less blade feel, yet still enough exposure.

I agree with the finding. The Old Type is fine, but the NEW is better and more comfortable to shave with. But I also believe the Old Type is the way a razor should look.

Top Bottom