What's new

will I see vast improvement if I replace my Lord L6 with something "better"

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Update, so I found what I think is a 1956 Gillette TTO for $10 at the antiques store. I definitely feel the weight difference from the Lord L6. thanks everyone for the recommendations. I notice the blade sticks out on the lips on either side. of the non shaving sides. Do all blades do this in vintage Gillette TTOs? I think it was a shark blade
I believe all my Gillettes do. I don't have anywhere near all models. Do you have any pics of that new score and does it have a date code? You could post it in the Safety Razor Aquisition Thread as well!

Kindly,
Adam

I notice the blade sticks out on the lips on either side. of the non shaving sides. Do all blades do this in vintage Gillette TTOs? I think it was a shark blade

It is that way on 99.9% of DE razors made. Only a few hide the ends of the blade.

The L6 is a pretty mild razor. You should try something a bit more aggressive. The L6 was my first razor and it held up very well.

Hmm...I could have sworn I've read somewhere on this forum that the L6 is more aggressive than the average razor. Either way, the L6 was my first razor and It has worked so well for me that I have never had the urge to "upgrade".

sounds dangerous! may try it one day
Slants aren't really more dangerous, you've just got to remember no pressure, holding the handle low down helps with this.
Maybe first pass with a slant, and if your neck is up to it, a second pass with your Gillette.
Afterthought, the handle of your L6, would work very well with a slant head.

Last edited:
In short no. I have the Muhle 89 and the maggard with the v3 head which is quite aggressive compared to the 89 but gives no better shave. I also have the vanderhagen from a vacation and that's as mild as it gets yet with a good blade, form and knowing your beard shaves just as well as anything.

Gillette 1954 Date Code Z1 First Year Production Super Speed Flare Tip Red base Styrene Case.JPG
JW25; I am voting in line with Rabidus for my two cents worth, and in the end it is just an opinion, as others have made excellent suggestions. The 1948-1950 Super Speeds will give consistent and excellent shaves, and are mild shavers. Gillette introduced the Flare Tip in 1954, and re-introduced that model again in 1955 with a larger head and again, targeting moderate growth beards. The 1955 version, in my opinion, is more aggressive than its predecessor. The Flare tip is extremely well balanced and is easily held for good control. Both types of early Super Speeds are readily available on the majority of auction sites. However, The Badger and Blade Marketplace is a great start to advertise that you are looking for one or both of these Super Speed models, and good examples can be found easily, and being sold by members, insures quality and satisfaction. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Gillette 1949 Super Speed Razor with Styrene Case and Ten Blade Speed Pak Dispenser Open View.JPG
View attachment 776950

The only thing is this.

A razor is a razor is a razor. A fat boy isn't any better or worse then an L6.

What would be a good look into is a gem razor

This is only true if you have a bunch of the same razors. I can tell the difference between all my razors. They range from mild to aggressive, light to heavy, different shapes and thickness of handles and the feel of different materials they are made from. The razors shave differently with certain blades as well, Astra works great in some of my razors and is terrible in others.

Top Bottom