What's new

will I see vast improvement if I replace my Lord L6 with something "better"

Hello, whats your opinion? Will I see vast improvement if I replace my Lord L6 with something "better"?

I have been using the L6 for over a year and it seems to do fine. I have thought about getting the Merkur or Edwin Jagger or Maggard that is around $30.

I am working my way through a sampler blade pack and honestly, all blades work fine for me. I can't say one is better or worse than the other on my face.

Caveat: I can only use a DE razor on my face down to my jaw line. From my jaw line to bottom of neck I have always (even back in the cartridge razor days) had to use a bump fighter blade that does not cut close. If I cut my neck close (even with only one pass with the grain), I get wicked ingrown hairs due to thick curly neck hair, various grain directions. I also have very sensitive skin that is prone to irritation, red ness, and breakouts.

So whats your thoughts? worth trying something else just for my face?

There are actually some razors with negative blade exposure, meaning that true zero pressure would not even allow the blade to touch your skin. Would a such DE work for your neck? Merkur 15C is a such razor.

You would not see a big difference with getting another razor with almost the same aggressiveness and geometry as your L6. If you want a chance for big improvement (or in worst case the decline), you would need to try something significantly different. There are open combs, slants and razors of different aggressiveness. Take the risk and try something completely new if you will want any chance for a big improvement.

If you need to stick with a mild razor, then no, you won't see any significant difference. When you compare the various mild razors, the differences are mainly aesthetic.

Another vote for a Super Speed, preferably a black handle one (last model). Mild razor with exceptional cutting ability, I get great shaves with minimal trouble. Make sure the safety bar is straight on any you get from eBay, though, they bend if the razor is dropped.

The Lord L6 is a copy of a Gillette razor, but I think the vintage Gillette ones are probably a little better made.

You could also try a Slim or Super Adjustable (or FatBoy if you want to spend more). Easy enough to change the setting between neck and face, so you could get a good shave both places.

$30 would get you any of these except the FatBoy, that would be more like $60.

Peter

The L6 is a pretty mild razor. You should try something a bit more aggressive. The L6 was my first razor and it held up very well.

I have, and love the Lord L6. It's my favorite razor, but that being said, I also own about 16 razors, so I understand the need for variety. A good mild vintage razor you might want to look into is a Schick Krona. Great shaver, very cheap price, and works well with most blades.

I agree with Garrett in that you won't notice a difference if you stick to a razor with the same level of aggression. I feel that more aggressive razors are actually less prone to causing irritation, at least in my case. I can get a closer shave in fewer passes. I personally love adjustables, especially the vintage Gillettes because it's like having nine different razors in one and I can choose my level of aggression depending on my needs that day.

I have, and love the Lord L6. It's my favorite razor, but that being said, I also own about 16 razors, so I understand the need for variety. A good mild vintage razor you might want to look into is a Schick Krona. Great shaver, very cheap price, and works well with most blades.
+1 the Schick Krona has become my favorite DE although I tend to prefer a Schick injector.

I think the L6 is better than a number of razors that cost three or four times more than it does.

+3. Price and performance are not directly correlated!

The point in trying other razors is that you want variety or you are looking for what works best for you. Just my $0.02!

Another vote for a Super Speed, preferably a black handle one (last model). Mild razor with exceptional cutting ability, I get great shaves with minimal trouble.

+1

IMHO...The Black handle SS is the mildest of the Superspeeds, yet very efficient. A step up would would be my favorite TTO's made between 48-50.

A Gillette adjustable would be great. I used a Fatboy on 4 with a Feather blade a couple of days ago and found it impossible to cut myself. Took a little work, but I was still able to get a BBS shave. A lower setting should be great for you.

+1

IMHO...The Black handle SS is the mildest of the Superspeeds, yet very efficient. A step up would would be my favorite TTO's made between 48-50.

A Gillette adjustable would be great. I used a Fatboy on 4 with a Feather blade a couple of days ago and found it impossible to cut myself. Took a little work, but I was still able to get a BBS shave. A lower setting should be great for you.

have never tried a TTO or a adjustable. may look for one in the future thanks.

Update, so I found what I think is a 1956 Gillette TTO for $10 at the antiques store. I definitely feel the weight difference from the Lord L6. thanks everyone for the recommendations. I notice the blade sticks out on the lips on either side. of the non shaving sides. Do all blades do this in vintage Gillette TTOs? I think it was a shark blade

Top Bottom