What's new

Wild or Farm Raised Fish/Seafood

My current diet calls for two meals of either Tilapia or Cod each day. I live in an area where fresh ocean fish is nonexistent, or rotten and inedible by the time it gets here. Learned that lesson the hard way, after a week of mild food poisoning. Frozen is my only option.

Tilapia is gross, on multiple levels. How it is farmed, and how it tastes. I go for the frozen Pacific Cod at Wal Mart or Kroger, which claims to be wild caught. I worry about eating too much of it, but it is my only option currently.

I always look to buy wild seafood, but sometimes it's not available or way to expensive. Trout is always a farmed-raised fish that I will buy from HEB from time to time. All the rest like shrimp, oysters & salmon I'll buy wild.

We farm raise chickens, cattle and sheep, is seafood any different?

My knowledge of farm raised seafood is limited. What's your take on it?

Farmed trout or the one dancing with the fly in its mouth is good on my plate.
"Mudbugs" are sort of 'wild'. I remember the oyster farming beds in the waters just off Patchogue, NY, when i lived on Long Island, many many moons ago. Louisiana shrimp are preferred. That "tila-whazit" fish is not a North American species, farmed or not, so it stays off my plate. Salmon, when I lived in Oregon, was served best at the lodge at Multnomah Falls. Fried Clams from Sandy's, at the foot of the Bourne Bridge in Buzzards Bay, MA when I was a kid were 'dadgum good'. Flounder fished during the cold weather off the jetties at Stamford, CT still taste better than Gorton's, although i doubt I will see that town again. Crab cakes served at a little seafood shop on a wavy old dock in Lewes, Delaware, taught me what crab should taste like.

Now, way upstream the Red River, it is what is in the supermarket. So i read the labels and weep.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm not the type that pays much attention. If it's on the shelf at the local grocery, and I'm hungry, I'm eating it.
There are a few places I won't buy meat from though.....

Seafood we generally buy frozen. Honestly haven't a clue if it's farm or wild.

Top Bottom