What's new

Why should I use shaving cream and a brush...

Another question...

What is a good aftershave? I know it's not good to use an aftershave with alcohol, so what is an alternative? The ones I've used with alcohol don't leave a coating, and they temporarily eliminate razor burn.

Here's my usual shaving routine. I don't shave very often. And I know my routine is weird.

Shave in a hot shower, use Bump Patrol aftershave + lotion.

The feeling of the shave will bother me until I take another hot shower, but I have to wait at least 3 hours. Once I take that 2nd hot shower, the irritation is reduced by 75%.

Is there an aftershave without alcohol that can make my face feel more comfortable? I don't like the burn that I feel when I apply Bump Patrol (or any other alcohol based aftershave), but I've tried non-alcohol AS before, and it doesn't do much.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the input.

Also, how do I use this?
http://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Pre...=UTF8&qid=1325496278&sr=8-1&tag=5336612468-20

Never used a "bar soap" for shaving before? Just drop the whole bar in the bowl and mix with water?

And how are the creams like Proraso used with a brush?

Also, when you guys say DE shaving... what exactly does that mean? Double-edge? Would that mean a straight blade? I mentioned that I'm planning to switch back to the Mach3 Power from the Fusion.

Last edited:
Thanks...good info...I haven't made it to the bottom of a tub yet (I have several tubs). I guess that makes brands like Proraso an Speick and outstanding deal then.

"Oh, and BrookR1? For the middle of the price range of soaps and "expensive" creams, the cost per use is generally on-par with the cans in my analysis. Sure, they cost more at the outset, but at least one of my creams has somewhere around 75 uses out of it and lots more to go. Not bad for $20.00 in my book"

Also, how do I use this?
http://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Pre...=UTF8&qid=1325496278&sr=8-1&tag=5336612468-20

Never used a "bar soap" for shaving before? Just drop the whole bar in the bowl and mix with water?

Also, when you guys say DE shaving... what exactly does that mean? Double-edge? Would that mean a straight blade? I mentioned that I'm planning to switch back to the Mach3 Power from the Fusion.

DriveArroyo - this sticky may help you answer some of your questions on how to use a brush and shave soaps/creams: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...g-Cream-Need-more-information-*****-LOOK-HERE!****

I'll give you a few quick answers too:
- The links in the sticky above will give you tutorials on how to use your shave brush. The method is generally the same for all brushes, with some minor adjustments but will give you some pointers.
- Typically bar soap (like Dial, Irish Spring, etc) isn't used for shaving. A few people have gotten it to work but typically we buy soaps specifically made for shaving. The sticky above will have links on how a shaving soap is used.
- DE refers to Double Edge razor. They are the old style of razors used since the early 1900's until the advent of cartridge razors. This wiki page has some pictures and details on those razors: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/DE_Selection_Guide . People buy the vintage ones or you can buy newly made ones from some companies.
- Straight blade can refer to a few different things. It can mean a straight razor and sometimes it can mean razors that use a one sided blade.
- Peruse the wiki. There is probably an answer to every question you have on there and more.
- Most on this board have stopped using Fushions, Mach3s, etc and use DEs and straight razors. The wiki will give details on why people use them - there are numerous benefits. Many get better shaves than using 5 bladed gizmos, etc with less irritation. Also, if you don't get into collecting razors and such it can be much cheaper in the end. Instead of paying $4 per cartridge for a Fusion that lasts a week, you can get DE blades as little at 17 cents per blade that last just as long.

Also, how do I use this?

I just recently switched to a double edge single blade razor. I was using the sensor excel, mach, et al with an aveeno oatmeal/colgate spray can gunk-- for most of my life.

Let me tell you, it's like night and day difference. If you use the good stuff, you'll feel like your face was never even touched. That aveeno stuff is really dry. I would only lather half my face (sometimes less) at a time and shave, because it would dry out so fast. So I went to the store and bought a puck soap and brush--fantastic.

I would highly encourage you to try a DE razor. I'm still a noob at this, but it's totally worth it. And you don't need to spend a lot.

What is a good aftershave? I know it's not good to use an aftershave with alcohol, so what is an alternative? The ones I've used with alcohol don't leave a coating, and they temporarily eliminate razor burn.
Alcohol is not always bad.
One of the most popular aftershaves is Bay Rum. It's made with Vodka and Rum.
One of the purposes of aftershave is it's astringent properties. Some (most?) of us follow the shave with the application of an alum block (Bloc Osma is one), then a rinse and application of witch hazel.
After this, any kind of aftershave can be used. I select mine based on what my skin tells me it wants. If it it cold weather and the air is dry, I might go to a Balm... I like Tabac and Edwin Jagger Sandalwood.
If it is warmer and the air is more moist, then I'll use Floid Blue, or for something "stronger" one of my three Bay Rum options.
Also, how do I use this?

For me, the difference between cream and soap is how it gets into the bowl.

For soap, I wet the soap while I shower. After getting out, I pour the water off of the soap, soak the brush, shake it out, and run the brush on the soap to "load" it up.
Once it's loaded, I put the soap away and move to the bowl and work the lather up.

For cream, I put a small blob in the bowl and lather with a damp brush.

Another option for soap is face lathering.
Load the brush as you would for lathering in a bowl, but work the lather up using the brush directly on your face.

Also, how do I use this?

Drive -

You have a lot of good questions, keep asking them, we're here to help!
It may be a good idea, though, to check out our tutorials thread, pretty much all the basics are covered in one place....
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...TRUCTIONS-AND-TUTORIALS-New-READ-THIS-THREAD!

You have a lot of good questions, keep asking them, we're here to help!

What do the numbers on the blade mean?

Will shave cream make my beard grow thicker?

Why doesn't someone sharpen the outer edges of a blade for an all-in-one mustache razor?

Are Simpson brushes really worth the money compared to my VDH?

Should I be scared to try a Feather?

Is face lathering better than bowl lathering?

What do the numbers on the blade mean?
The numbers on a blade are only there for use by the manufacturer. They do not have any meaning to the end user.

Will shave cream make my beard grow thicker?
No. Only Rogaine hair grower would do that and that is not used in shave cream or soap. However, the beard tends to get thicker as you age so you may find that at 65 you only get half the number of shaves out of a blade that you did at 25.

Why doesn't someone sharpen the outer edges of a blade for an all-in-one mustache razor?
That has been tried with DE blades, sharpening does not work probably because the blade is so thin that it cannot take another sharpening. Also it is dangerous to attempt sharpening a DE because there isn't a safe place to hold the blade during sharpening. You may have luck sharpening a SE (I don't think anyone on here has tried it) but the blades cost more in the first place.

Are Simpson brushes really worth the money compared to my VDH?
Probably not but I haven't used a Simpson to know for sure.

Should I be scared to try a Feather?
No. Other than the blade is a little sharper and may last one more shave with due care you can get a DFS out of a Feather. Feathers are about triple the price of a cheaper DE blade so in a cost/benefit equation they lose to Personna, Treet, etc.

Is face lathering better than bowl lathering?
No. It is personal preference. I like face lathering a stick for travel and a puck/bowl for home use.

$facepalm.jpg

If your getting satisfactory results from the Aveeno cream then there is no real reason to switch IMO. I have heard good things about it.

Some reasons could be less environmental impact, more natural, the exfoliation effect of the brush, and the nostalgia factor. The Von Der Hagen kit is a great start.

http://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Pre...HPT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325496278&sr=8-1
proxy.php

You may want to try the Gillette Sensor or Sensor Excel, they are 2-3 blade cartridge razor and generic blades are available making it a cheaper alternative to the Mach 3.
This was my 1st kit...got it at Walgreens 3 yrs ago.

I briefly went over one of those links... will go through it more thoroughly later.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a Mach 3 and a Merkur 34?

A Merkur 34 is a double edge razor... is it also considered a safety razor?

Would the Mach 3 be categorized as a disposable safety razor?

Also, I ordered that Von Der Hagen kit. Will that still make a difference for me if I use that shave soap with a Mach 3?

I briefly went over one of those links... will go through it more thoroughly later.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a Mach 3 and a Merkur 34?

A Merkur 34 is a double edge razor... is it also considered a safety razor?

Would the Mach 3 be categorized as a disposable safety razor?

Also, I ordered that Von Der Hagen kit. Will that still make a difference for me if I use that shave soap with a Mach 3?

Merkur 34C is double edge and would be categorized as a safety razor. It's kind of the standard in non-vintage safety razors. If you're looking to start with a DE/safety razor that is a good razor along with the Edwin Jagger DE89.

Mach 3 would be considered a cartridge razor since you keep the handle and replace the razor cartridges. I'm sure some would call it a safety razor (i.e. the Gillette Company) but most will call it a cartridge razor.

Your best possible kit would be a DE/safety razor along with the brush/soap combo. That being said, I've heard you should experience some improvement if you're using a mach 3 along with the brush/soap combo. The soap is better for your skin than the aerosol cans and the brush helps lift the whiskers along with exfoliating the skin. Check out mantic59's "Introduction to Wetshaving" videos on YouTube on how to use it. It's a nice introduction and as he teaches it he uses a Mach 3. This will really help you out. Also, he has a video or two specifically on the kit you ordered. Make sure you check those out too.

Last edited:

strop

Now half as wise

In my opinion, yes. I used a antique store brush and Col. Conk soap (similar to VDH, if not the same) for years with a Mach 3 and then Fusion, before becoming enlightened. Definitely a big improvement over canned foam or gel for the reasons listed.

Thanks everyone.

Last question: I guess I have to invest in a DE/safety razor.

I've seen the link with some suggestions.

Which one should I get? I have long fingers...

Also, what is the costs for replacement blades?

Thanks everyone.

Last question: I guess I have to invest in a DE/safety razor.

I've seen the link with some suggestions.

Which one should I get? I have long fingers...

Also, what is the costs for replacement blades?

It all comes down to personal preference - I have long fingers but still find my smaller Superspeed flair-tip to be one of my more comfortable razors. There are a few ways to go but I think Merkur HD, Edwin Jager/Muhle DE89 are good modern choices and for vintage you can't go wrong with a Slim Adjustable or the aforementioned Superspeed.

Blade cost will come down to which blades are most comfortable in your razor and on your face. A 30-50 blade sampler is a good way to try a variety before you commit to a large quantity. The least expensive blades will run you under 10 cents a piece but 20-30 cents is probably a good guess for your average blade bought in 100's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom