What's new

Why I hate "American Pickers"

How do you feel about American Pickers and their effect on the prices of "antiques"

• Definitely blowing prices up.

• I can't tell the difference

Results are only viewable after voting.
I used to despise them at first..when the show first started they would show them blatantly ripping people off. Like they would tell someone a price at the start then drastically lower it at the end. It wasn't until they got popular that they stopped being total arseholes and became more 'charitable'.

I view the 'charitable' side of them fake as hell and stay away from all such shows, including those damn pawnshop shows. I hate being ripped off, I hate ripping other people off and I hate watching people get ripped off.
/rant

I have been thinking about why the prices on the second hand market are going up and I think it has to do with the economy along with some other things.
Back when I was still going around the Antique circuit there were not allot of people collecting, getting things second hand was looked down upon to a extent.
Now with the economy being what it is, Lots of people are looking for things on the second hand market, and with the Internet every one can look up the approximate price of what they have.

I used to despise them at first..when the show first started they would show them blatantly ripping people off. Like they would tell someone a price at the start then drastically lower it at the end. It wasn't until they got popular that they stopped being total arseholes and became more 'charitable'.

I view the 'charitable' side of them fake as hell and stay away from all such shows, including those damn pawnshop shows. I hate being ripped off, I hate ripping other people off and I hate watching people get ripped off.
/rant

Looks like you don't understand retail costs and pricing in any business. Typically, an item is purchased by the retailer and then marked up 40% to 60% for profit. That might seem extravagant, but that profit also has to cover all of the cost involved in running the business. What the business owner gets to put in his pocket from the profit of that one sale is way less. Not enough profit means that you won't be able to cover the costs of running the business.

If you truly feel that you are being ripped off, then try selling your stuff at full price yourself. Pawn shops exist because you can get cash for your stuff right now instead of waiting for who know how long for someone to come along and buy it from you.

American Pickers ,Antiques Roadshow and shows like them are adding to the price of collectables. So are EBAY and Craigslist.The internet and television brings more information to more people. On one hand all this adds to prices but on the other hand it makes more of these items available to us.There is a trade off.

Looks like you don't understand retail costs and pricing in any business. Typically, an item is purchased by the retailer and then marked up 40% to 60% for profit. That might seem extravagant, but that profit also has to cover all of the cost involved in running the business. What the business owner gets to put in his pocket from the profit of that one sale is way less. Not enough profit means that you won't be able to cover the costs of running the business.

If you truly feel that you are being ripped off, then try selling your stuff at full price yourself. Pawn shops exist because you can get cash for your stuff right now instead of waiting for who know how long for someone to come along and buy it from you.

Oh I understand. But I still don't enjoy watching them, or any show like them. Which is what the thread title leads one to believe this thread is about. B)

Last edited:
I used to enjoy American Pickers, Pawn Stars, and Storage Wars, but something happened in the past year or so. The shows are way to formulaic, fake and extremely over scripted. The spin offs bred from Pawn Stars have completely saturated the History Channel. It's reality TV baked into what was great channel about history. The History Channel has been ruined.

I like Antique Roadshow. Real people bringing in real items. Maybe some of the prices are high, maybe not, but it is interesting.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I used to enjoy American Pickers, Pawn Stars, and Storage Wars, but something happened in the past year or so. The shows are way to formulaic, fake and extremely over scripted. The spin offs bred from Pawn Stars have completely saturated the History Channel. It's reality TV baked into what was great channel about history. The History Channel has been ruined.

I like Antique Roadshow. Real people bringing in real items. Maybe some of the prices are high, maybe not, but it is interesting.
History Channel and TLC have sucked for at least the last five years, unfortunately

Pawn Stars has an Ebay Store, too...
goldsilverpawn (29499 Feedback Score:99.7% Positive feedback).
You know Chumlee can't be in charge of shipping ?1?!
BTW, I think that Pauley Perrette's character "Abby Sciuto" from NCIS is hotter than Danielle....in a weird way, of course. :biggrin1:

I can't stand that show. I hate to see those guys swoop in like vultures on some 90 year old man and give him $100 for a bunch of stuff they KNOW is worth thousands. I like to go to second hand stores, junk stores and flea markets to find a good deal, but the people at those places have a pretty good idea of what they have and they give it to you for a steal, they have fun and make a little, we have fun and spend a little to be custodian to the piece until we pass it along. The guys on American Pickers are just gluttons and parasites. They know their screwing people and they don't give a dam. I had to stop watching the show because I would cringe every time that happened, and it happens so much, and I get even sicker when they try to talk it down or act like they did the person a favour What a great thread, that felt GOOD!!

I can't stand that show. I hate to see those guys swoop in like vultures on some 90 year old man and give him $100 for a bunch of stuff they KNOW is worth thousands. I like to go to second hand stores, junk stores and flea markets to find a good deal, but the people at those places have a pretty good idea of what they have and they give it to you for a steal, they have fun and make a little, we have fun and spend a little to be custodian to the piece until we pass it along. The guys on American Pickers are just gluttons and parasites. They know their screwing people and they don't give a dam. I had to stop watching the show because I would cringe every time that happened, and it happens so much, and I get even sicker when they try to talk it down or act like they did the person a favour What a great thread, that felt GOOD!!

I am known to say that certain business types or in some cases just a specific place of business have customers with more money than sense. "Antique Archeology" is one of these SPECIFIC businesses. Not to say they don't ever have anything on the show that is cool or unique..but my grandpa sold better junk of the bed of his Datsun truck at the park and ride every Saturday and Sunday than most of the crap they show on there.

Just went to an Antique mall and the same dealer had a nothing special miltaary khaki set still there two years running for $136 FIRM. Also an Schick white injector still there for $42 FIRM. Lol. TWO YEARS. His glass display case is frozen in time. Nothing has moved. Makes you wonder...

Just went to an Antique mall and the same dealer had a nothing special miltaary khaki set still there two years running for $136 FIRM. Also an Schick white injector still there for $42 FIRM. Lol. TWO YEARS. His glass display case is frozen in time. Nothing has moved. Makes you wonder...

there is one shop in my town like that. i usually just go in there to talk to him not buy anything although he has hooked me up on some razors in the past. everytime i go in there i always see the same things. i know he also sells on ebay so maybe thats where he makes all of his money. i think places like that try to get more than what they r worth just to see if they can? or they think ebay is wrong on the prices and they want more than ebay can give them.

Prices have gone up from what I'm seeing and those veterans of antique/estates sale regulars are telling me when I bump into them. One estate sale I went to the lady wanted $40 for a plain white cup and black brush. It was interesting to hear people's comments as I was looking around. "This is higher than retail" or "$5 for a coffee cup!" As a previous poster said the market will correct it as I saw many people leave empty handed and whisper under their breath of this company. Also many old timers complain everyone is an " expert" now that it's on tv.

My wife buys at estate sales mostly to sell in a space she rents at an vintage mall. There are certain estate sellers we just don't bother going to, others we wouldn't miss. Depends on their goal - maximize profit or clear out the house.

There is a lot of that around. But there are malls that will kick you out if you don't turn over stock. Those places do well and don't just depend on rent, but also the commissions.

there is one shop in my town like that. i usually just go in there to talk to him not buy anything although he has hooked me up on some razors in the past. everytime i go in there i always see the same things. i know he also sells on ebay so maybe thats where he makes all of his money. i think places like that try to get more than what they r worth just to see if they can? or they think ebay is wrong on the prices and they want more than ebay can give them.

if only they would look at "completed" listings, save a lot of problems. But often, I am glad they don't. Ignorance is a double edged sword and it can also work in your favor. :smile:

I know American Pickers looks bad when they are negotiating, but they are not dealing with noobies. Most of the folks they are dealing with are equally brutal in their acquisition, I would put big money on that. They know what they paid for and they are probably doubling their money if they didn't get the item initially for free. If you think for a moment about making money off of acquiring and selling used goods, you would realize it's mo bettah to do that 8-5.

-jim

I don't know if the show and the ones like it inflate prices or not, but they sure are boring. I would guess they probably do have some effect though. I know when the Barrett-Jackson auctions were shown on TV, all the sudden every yahoo with a rusted out old Buick Skylark or something suddenly thought it was worth fifty thousand dollars so I wouldn't doubt at all there's a similar effect going on with antiques.

Top Bottom