What's new

Why B&B is the best place on the Internet

I've had the misfortune recently of spending some quality time on another :blushing: topical forum that, quite unfortunately, has no rules or terms of service to speak of. Alas, it's a topic not covered at B&B, so I didn't have much choice. This other forum has many good, helpful members, but the site is utterly plagued by rude and nasty behavior, and a persistent toxic undercurrent that greatly diminishes the potential value of the forum, especially to newcomers that are often very much in need of assistance.

Not only does this other forum not banish people that engage in hateful personal attacks and dialog, but they allow political discussion that divides the membership into factions. Those political threads are clearly marked as off topic, but the environment they creates permeates all discussion, and results in constant subhuman behavior among members over the slightest on-topic disagreements.

I've made mention there that there is a Better Way, and that I've seen it (but no names mentioned...I don't want them coming here!) only to be just ruthlessness attacked from all angles. "That's censorship" and "That's totalitarian" are the more kind responses.

Then, a light bulb in the dark (and right over my big head!). One particularly demeaning individual said "I could never stick around a place that would not let me say the things that I say". Bingo. It's not just that the civility guidelines/rules at B&B actively serve to remove such people. They actually create an environment that is intrinsically toxic to the hateful trolls of the world. Yeah, some get through, but overall, the momentum of good behavior created acts like a DEET for the mean and uncivilized. For that I thank not only the B&B leadership, but everyone here that's naturally selected. You make it great just by your presence and good sense.

That is why B&B is the best place on the Internet.

I've had my hand slapped, gently, twice, by moderators for posting very mild infractions of the rules here. I was surprised, but when I thought about it, I realized that I was wrong and BnB was correct. It's not a matter of free speech, but rather a matter of civility. I do wish there were no gun forum, but I appreciate the efforts the moderators take to insure our good manners.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Too many people think that the 1st Amendment allows them to be jerks anywhere they want to be. Most websites have a ToU, and make you agree to it in order to participate. Nobody forces them to do anything. We are lucky here, for sure. We have great members, and a great Steward and Moderator team. I can be a very political person, and it is nice to be able to come here and escape it. Nothing starts a fight quicker than politics or religion.

I have always been impressed with the level of civility on this forum. The vast majority B&B members adhere to the maxim that you can disagree without being disagreeable. Damn rare thing these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B&B is that calm port in the storm that is needed and a welcome one on the ol' interwebs. After the recent great overhaul of the format of the site I spent some time playing around, seeing what was new and different. I checked some of my old posts and came across one of my earlier writings that said coming here after a long, lousy day at work with a beverage or two was a great way to unwind. It was true several years ago when I was a wet shaving newb, and it's true today when I know everything about wet shaving...just ask me:001_rolle
B&B is what I imagine an upper crust gentleman's club to be, with deep comfy chairs, oak paneling, a fine cigar and a snifter of brandy. In actual fact I'm composing this after coming home from a hockey game, sitting in my garage, wearing track pants and a bathrobe, pounding back a few Coors Lights and chain smoking cheap cigarettes.
Thanks to you all I've had conversations about shave creams with people in India, talked baseball with, ughh, Yankees fans and spilled my guts about the failing health and death of a parent. The insight, good natured ribbing and compassion have made me a better person. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Thank you, B&B, for being that port in the storm that is the outside world.

James nails it! Since I got back in the country I've started going to a forum that is specific to a particular model of motorcycle. It's an extremely low volume of posts but there are a couple of guys, or maybe one troll using multiple names, that have to get in on every thread. It really makes me appreciate B&B...

I think that most of the trolls that frequent sites would never have the guts to say the crap they post to your face. I was on a bike forum and it was probably the worst for flaming and name calling aside from football forums.

I spend a good part of my day solving issues and dealing with problems. The last thing I want to do is argue.

People can call it heavy handed when the mods step in, I just call it good manners. Trolling or bad behavior was never allowed here and it never will be.

Top Bottom