What's new

Why Are Artist Club Razor Heads So Wide?

I spent a week shaving with an Above the Tie R1 double edge, then a week shaving with an Above the Tie SE1 single edge, and I got excellent shaves with both. But I didn't find that the Artist Club blades performed better than the good DE blade I used in the R1, and I tried 3 shaves with the Kai Captain Titan, 2 with the Feather Pro Super, and 2 with the Feather Pro.

During the week with the SE1, I found myself hindered a bit by the width of the head. It was less easy to maneuver among the complex curves of my neck, making it a bit more difficult to maintain even blade contact and easier to ding some skin with a corner of the blade. The razor seems a bit like a Rolls Royce automobile: terrific in a straight line but maybe not the easiest to parallel park.

So my question: Why are Artist Club style razor heads as wide as they are? Blade rigidity doesn't seem the right answer, because generally a longer object is less rigid than a shorter object of the same type. Efficiency of stroke doesn't seem right either, because a face isn't big enough for a half-inch longer blade to cut meaningfully fewer strokes. So what is it?

Remember that the blades were originally intended for a Kamisori-style razor so the width was more appropriate.

As others have mentioned, the AC blades were designed for the Feather Artist Club razors.

The Artist Club razor is essentially a straight razor with a disposable blade. The typical straight razor has a blade around 2 3/4".

So, a more logical question might be, "Why aren't Artist Club razor heads wider?" :001_huh:

Seriously, I find that it's just a matter of learning curve. I can complete a shave faster with an AC razor because the flat parts of my face require fewer strokes.

After using mostly AC razors for the past month or so, when I use one of my other SE's, at first it feels sort of, well, . . . narrow.

--Bob

After using mostly AC razors for the past month or so, when I use one of my other SE's, at first it feels sort of, well, . . . narrow.
:laugh: I had the same impression few days ago when I took my Gillette out of the drawer.
I would like to add that with the Hawk loaded with a ProGuard, I can go "fast" and maneuver without any risk of dings (something that instead I typically get with the The General loaded with a Professional blade and used in the same way).

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The excess width is the downside of the shavette format(s) for me. My best shaves come from a single edge, but it is a real Schick Injector (or the modern equivalent using the classic injector width blades.

You should try the Weck, it's even wider. Like shaving with a lawnmower, but I like my Weck.

Thanks, but my experience with the Durham Duplex DuBarry was quite enough. There may be a reason that neither design is still in production.

Interesting though about the design origins of the AC blade. And I can see how one might get used to it and come to feel it to be normal or even preferable.

Anyway, very helpful. Thanks, gents.

Thanks, but my experience with the Durham Duplex DuBarry was quite enough. There may be a reason that neither design is still in production.

Interesting though about the design origins of the AC blade. And I can see how one might get used to it and come to feel it to be normal or even preferable.

Anyway, very helpful. Thanks, gents.

The Durham DuBarry requires holding the head almost flat against your face, meaning that the handle is perpendicular, a very unnatural feeling. The Durham Dorsets have an angled handle so the shaving technique is more familiar. I got my Dorset out this week to use with some Personna Pathology blades that I got from Tryablade - so far, it's been a very good experience. I'm using it as if it's a SE razor, flipping the blade for the next shave; I don't want to attempt the Duplex Shuffle.

I don't even notice the difference while shaving.
+1. It is what it is. I have the Mongoose and the ATT SE-1, and have no trouble getting great shaves with either one. I also have an Artist Club that I acquired lightly used and those Feather Super Pros are great blades IME, in either the AC or the safety razor. I find the added rigidity of the blade to be a plus. YMMV.
Say all the above to say, keep working with it and you'll get used to the added width.

My first SE safety razor was the Weck Surgical Prep and the Weck blade is longer and wider than the Feather AC blade. I found it very easy to maneuver around my face because it wasn't as wide as a DE or a Gem type, and the extra length only meant less strokes to cover the same area. Of course, after learning to get around with a Weck, everything else becomes easy.

Mongoose my first & only safety razor, and I got it because I wanted those thicker, stiffer, super-sharp SE blades, never mind the width.

Top Bottom