What's new

Which Razors Do You Hate?!

Futur is the worst beginner razor. I bought it thinking it looked cool and I'd enjoy wet shaving. First shave left me a scar on my chin. I still have the scar

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
I'll try with some other blades, I used it with a feather, maybe it needs something milder.

I've got two.
My Gillette Slim Slant is the worst. Always check your acquisitions for geometry, not just sanitization before you shave.

And tragically, the 2011 Mühle R41. I just don't like the shaves I got from it.

I'll try with some other blades, I used it with a feather, maybe it needs something milder.
I got it down and I would use it on setting 3..

That's after 3 years of use.

I recently purchased a timeless. 68 oc and a feather asd2..

The futur isn't even in the same league.. I never knew how enjoyable wet shaving was until I tried an asd2 and a timeless.

Now it sits collecting dust

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Since I started DE shaving about 3 years ago I've tried quite a number of razors and I can get a good shave from almost all of them. Of course some are better than others.

With one exception. The fendrihan stainless I just couldn't get to work for me. The first generation one. I might have just gotten a bad one but mine has a huge blade gap an uneven blade exposure. Just a terrible razor. At least the one I got.
The MkII is a sweet performer.

I've got two.
My Gillette Slim Slant is the worst. Always check your acquisitions for geometry, not just sanitization before you shave.

And tragically, the 2011 Mühle R41. I just don't like the shaves I got from it.
I didn't even know that there was a Slim Slant! I have a Slim. The R41 takes some getting used to, but in my opinion has been surpassed now in terms of performance and value by other razors.

I didn't even know that there was a Slim Slant! I have a Slim. The R41 takes some getting used to, but in my opinion has been surpassed now in terms of performance and value by other razors.
They didn't come from the factory, you apparently have to drop one quite hard or have an accident with a hammer... much like a Pokemon, if you do it right; it will evolve into a slim slant. You do it wrong, and it won't open.
I don't recommend it. Bent teeth are workable, a torqued head is not.

Do you "hate" them, or simply prefer others?

You're right, Toby. Hate is too strong a word, but that was the only option the thread starter offered. Let's just say that there are so many great vintage razors out there that personally, I could never think of a good reason to buy a modern one. That's just me and YMMV.

Really!! You old fogie!:001_rolle There are some great modern razors. I love my RR Wunderbar for example!

I plead guilty to being an old fogie, for sure!

I don't really hate modern razors, but that was the only option the thread starter offered. Let's just say that there are so many great vintage razors out there that personally, I could never think of a good reason to buy a modern one. That's just me and YMMV.

Hate is a strong sentiment, but there are razors I do not like or enjoy using.

Merkur 34C HD: I did not like this razor. I found it mild, and it did not provide an enjoyable shave with any blade I tried. Also I find the modern razors to have a more "chunky" or "bloated" profiles, thus I do not find them as manuaeverable as vintage razors.

Blue Tip: Too mild for me.

Adjustables (Fatboy and Slim): I find them to be nice looking razors, with a nice weight to them, however they do not provide as good a shave as my New Old types, Superspeeds, Aristocrats.

Again this is a YMMV topic. I know that many enjoy these razors.

R

romsitsa

Super speeds. I don't hate them, just can't get any good shaves with them.

Adam

"Hate" is far too strong a word, but there are two razors in my collection that I regard as sub-par:

Valet VC2 - this was bought as a curiosity, but even with the Feather SE blades I find it way too mild. It looks as if it should be a beast, but it's very inefficient.

Gillette B3 1956 SuperSpeed - this, too, is far too mild for me. It is my birth quarter razor, however, so I have a soft spot for it and I use it on my birthday at the very least.

The Feather Popular is the worst thing that I've ever put up against my face. I realize that a lot of guys love 'em and get wonderful shaves, but not me. Good thing I'm not a hemophiliac.

Razors you may "hate" one year may be viewed very differently a year later due to variations in your technique, the blade you use or prep/lather.

When I first tried an Old Type I didn't care for it, then later it became my #1 go-to. When I first tried the Merkur 34C I really liked it, but now it's simply too inefficient for me and takes too much work to get the level of closeness I'm looking for.

I'm on this kick right now in which I'm using all sorts of DE's I had decided to shelve for one reason or another but finding my view of them is in many cases somewhat different now with the passage of time.

I plead guilty to being an old fogie, for sure!

I don't really hate modern razors, but that was the only option the thread starter offered. Let's just say that there are so many great vintage razors out there that personally, I could never think of a good reason to buy a modern one. That's just me and YMMV.
Quite simply some are better than the old ones. Italian Barber for example takes good designs and enhances them. The RR Wunderbar slant is a better tool than any vintage razor I know of, and have used, and I believe I have just about every model of vintage razor. Similarly the RR German 37 is the best budget slant I know of. No vintage equivalent.

Razors you may "hate" one year may be viewed very differently a year later due to variations in your technique, the blade you use or prep/lather.

When I first tried an Old Type I didn't care for it, then later it became my #1 go-to. When I first tried the Merkur 34C I really liked it, but now it's simply too inefficient for me and takes too much work to get the level of closeness I'm looking for.

I'm on this kick right now in which I'm using all sorts of DE's I had decided to shelve for one reason or another but finding my view of them is in many cases somewhat different now with the passage of time.
Yes, that's true. Tastes and preferences change over time, and that's one reason I gave this thread a provocative twist!

The Feather Popular is the worst thing that I've ever put up against my face. I realize that a lot of guys love 'em and get wonderful shaves, but not me. Good thing I'm not a hemophiliac.
Thanks for that honest assessment!

"Hate" is far too strong a word, but there are two razors in my collection that I regard as sub-par:

Valet VC2 - this was bought as a curiosity, but even with the Feather SE blades I find it way too mild. It looks as if it should be a beast, but it's very inefficient.

Gillette B3 1956 SuperSpeed - this, too, is far too mild for me. It is my birth quarter razor, however, so I have a soft spot for it and I use it on my birthday at the very least.
If you cannot hate can you truly love? A philosophical razor question!

Hate is a strong sentiment, but there are razors I do not like or enjoy using.

Merkur 34C HD: I did not like this razor. I found it mild, and it did not provide an enjoyable shave with any blade I tried. Also I find the modern razors to have a more "chunky" or "bloated" profiles, thus I do not find them as manuaeverable as vintage razors.

Blue Tip: Too mild for me.

Adjustables (Fatboy and Slim): I find them to be nice looking razors, with a nice weight to them, however they do not provide as good a shave as my New Old types, Superspeeds, Aristocrats.

Again this is a YMMV topic. I know that many enjoy these razors.
Enough of the YMMV nonsense. Your opinion is just as valid as anybody else's; not need to qualify it. It's good to roast some holy cows occasionally! Are you using your adjustable razors by increasing the aggression with each pass? If not, try this, you'll like it. My Slim is OK, but not my favorite razor by far, or even my favorite adjustable, but It's fun to use.

They didn't come from the factory, you apparently have to drop one quite hard or have an accident with a hammer... much like a Pokemon, if you do it right; it will evolve into a slim slant. You do it wrong, and it won't open.
I don't recommend it. Bent teeth are workable, a torqued head is not.
That's funny, the accidental slant!

Top Bottom