Which hair conditioner to soften beard?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Discussion' started by AceHarddrive, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Hello all:

I see where quite a few use hair conditioner as a kind of "pre-shave." Are any products better than others?

~Tim :cool:

2. rtaylor61

rtaylor61 Moderator Emeritus

I've used Suave at $1 a bottle and Aussie Conditioner, which is about $3 bucks. I can't tell any difference.

Randy

3. letterk

letterk Moderator Emeritus

I've used whatever my wife buys. I've tried probably 4 or 5 now and haven't noticed a difference.

4. mrob

mrob Moderator Emeritus

Ditto--use what's in the shower.

5. Nancy Boy works the best of all I've tried.

6. When I have multiple choices of conditioner, I choose the one that says moisturizing. I haven't noticed any difference between them. I put it on at the beginning of the shower and leave it on the whole time.

7. Tye

Tye

I use JASON Thin to Thick. Seems to work pretty well. (And Devin likes it)

-Tye

8. I also use the Jason Thin to Thick. It is good stuff!

9. Do any of you use hair conditioner outside of the shower (put it on while getting your shaving gear ready, then wash it off before lathering)? This would be on days you don't shower, or if you shave before showering. Bytheway, I shaved two days ago. The only difference between then and the rest of the time is that this time I applied Suave hc while in the shower. After shaving I put on some Aqua Velva, then some Proraso Liquid Creme and let that dry, then applied some Trumper Coral Skin Food. When that was dry, I spritzed on some Tabac Cologne. I am told that was the closest shave I have ever had. Talk about faceturbation!

C'yas!
    ~Tim :w00t:

10. rtaylor61

rtaylor61 Moderator Emeritus

Tim,

I've applied it outside the shower, even lathered over it. My personal experience was the there was no difference, and it was easier to wash off in the shower.

Randy

11. guenron

guenron Moderator Emeritus

Hey Randy,
    Since we're in the Method Shaving forum, what does CAR suggest or is that a silly question?:confused:

12. Kyle

Kyle Moderator Emeritus Contributor

His products, of course!:biggrin:

13. letterk

letterk Moderator Emeritus

Just a followup to this question. I've found something that, for me, with my beard, and my water, works better than most. It's the Lanza Leave In Conditioner. I've been using it for about a week and have found a noticable improvement. I've been an on and off again conditioner user not knowing for sure if it actually did anything. Well, I'm going to suggest my wife keeps buying this stuff because it's working for me. YMMV

14. I use Dove as it is the least scented/colored product I know of. I understand it is routinely recommended by dermatologists also, albeit not for our intended purpose. I only use it when my stubble is particularly long though. I find that my skin gets a little tacky as the conditioner dries.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

15. jbc

jbc

Interesting never heard of using conditioner to soften up the beard. Can shampoo do this as well?

16. Scotto

Scotto Moderator Emeritus

Don't waste your time or money, IMO. There is no difference. You just need lots of warm water and some good lather.

17. Kyle has some great stuff on this:

18. jbc

jbc

Don't mean to sound totally clueless but what is the advantages to using hair conditioner in this manner. Never tried this myself.