What's new

Which blade for very heavy beard?

I was wondering what the best blade would be for a 34C Merkur razor? I have tested a few, the most recent being Gillette Silver Blue. I am finding that the Gillette cartridge actually shaved closer for me, particularly as I could whip it around and also shave up against the grain very easily.
You have started with a good blade but work on technique for better shaves. I always found the DE to shave closer than any cartridge. It takes a little longer with the DE because a single edge is used on each pass as opposed to multiple blades on a cartridge. A re-lather and pass takes less than a minute.
Don't forget good preparation is very important and this takes a little time regardless of razor. I don't like canned lather so it is a brush and cream to prepare the lather.
Blade choices is such a vast subject because there are so many choices on the internet. Astra SP or Astra SS are good all round blades for keenness of edge and longevity.

Benefits of DE over cartridges:
  • Comfort
  • Closer shave (once you have your technique down)
  • Less expensive
  • More options (different blades, different razors, and different razor types such as OC or slants, will give you very different experiences)
  • Doing things differently/not being part of the crowd
  • Nostalgia- some of us who are a little older saw our grandfathers and fathers shave this way (my dad switched to cartridges in the early '70s when I was very young)
  • Speed: yes, the cartridge shaves faster, but the DE is an experience to be savored and enjoyed
  • A more enjoyable shave, many of us like the whole wet shaving process with the brush, cream/soap, pre-shave, DE shave, post-shave. While the DE is only part of that, it is an enjoyable part of all that
This:thumbup1: ... plus all the choices in creams and soaps!

Top Bottom