What's new

Where to purchase "Shave Ready" Straight Razor?

I've been kicking around the idea of purchasing a straight razor. I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger and I was wondering other that Whipped Dog, where are the best places to purchase a "Shave Ready" razor new or vintage? I would like to stay around or below the $100 price range. I've searched B&B, but haven't have much luck with suggestions.

Legion

Staff member
Market place and BST.

Avoid ebay. I have never bought a "shave ready" razor off ebay that was shave ready to my standards.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
There are a couple of ebay vendors who are pretty good but I can never remember their handles. When this question is sufficiently answered, maybe it ought to be made a sticky. It would be a valuable reference for those who are buying their first few razors, or helping a newbie buy his first. Meanwhile I will throw in a plug for Buca, Larry (Whipped Dog) and Jarrod (TheSuperiorShave.com). That's a choice between Gold Dollar, vintage, and new, all honed to shave readiness. Get one of each and you are set up pretty good.

If you go shopping freestyle on ebay for shave ready razors, look for the guys with a lot of razors in their online shop, AND good feedback ratings with lots of sales over a couple years or more. Don't shop for the razor. Shop for the vendor, then see what he has to offer. The razor is just a piece of steel. The seller/honer makes the difference.

Thanks @imatabor and @Legion

There are a couple of ebay vendors who are pretty good but I can never remember their handles. When this question is sufficiently answered, maybe it ought to be made a sticky. It would be a valuable reference for those who are buying their first few razors, or helping a newbie buy his first. Meanwhile I will throw in a plug for Buca...

Thanks!
Buca??? Google doesn't know this business.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Buca3152. He is a member here. He sells shave ready Gold Dollars and stuff.

Ah yes. I couldn't remember the serial number part of his nick. He has been honing and selling Gold Dollars for a while now, and his prices are about as low as it gets for a shave ready razor.

I have had very good luck with Larry from Whipped Dog and Jarrod from The Superior Shave. I have seen a lot of people recommend life2short1971 as well.

There are a couple of ebay vendors who are pretty good but I can never remember their handles. When this question is sufficiently answered, maybe it ought to be made a sticky. It would be a valuable reference for those who are buying their first few razors, or helping a newbie buy his first. Meanwhile I will throw in a plug for Buca, Larry (Whipped Dog) and Jarrod (TheSuperiorShave.com). That's a choice between Gold Dollar, vintage, and new, all honed to shave readiness. Get one of each and you are set up pretty good.

If you go shopping freestyle on ebay for shave ready razors, look for the guys with a lot of razors in their online shop, AND good feedback ratings with lots of sales over a couple years or more. Don't shop for the razor. Shop for the vendor, then see what he has to offer. The razor is just a piece of steel. The seller/honer makes the difference.
This seems to me great advice, Thank you

at a higher price point than the OP was looking, Brian Brown/Brown Razor Works come shave ready. Portland Razor Company reportedly does too (don't have one), and my Hart needed a touch up when I got it new which isn't uncommon here.

Jarrod at The Superior Shave puts a sublimely smooth coticule edge on his blades, for those who don't know.

SRD has a very shave ready "new" Ralf Aust ready to go for about $102. Best production razor made. Don't like it. I'll bet the south forty you could sell it for $75-$80

Top Bottom