What's new

Where to buy Knots?

I have been searching everywhere to find horse hair knots for sale. I've tried everything including TGN, WCS, and eBay. Not even googling it has helped me. Do you guys know anywhere that sells them? I have an old Fuller nylon that's shedding and needs replaced. Also, the handle is 2 inches from base to the top. What loft would you suggest? My last question is are horse hair brushes enjoyable or should I just stick to badger?

Thanks,
Nick

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 72
Ebay currently has 19mm & 21mm horse hair knots listed. Search "horse hair shaving knot". They're from China but I just got a nice selection of badgers from various Chinese vendors and the longest shipping time of them was 11 days. Virginia sheng sells 24mm knots but she's on vacation, and it looks like she's also become an Amazon vendor. She's due back mid Feb.

As for loft, I go more by performance than looks. Silvertip get double the diameter, two band finest get double the diameter + 2 to 4mm depending on how much backbone they have. Sorry, I've not used horse hair so I can't help you out there.

Last edited:
Ebay currently has 19mm & 21mm horse hair knots listed. Search "horse hair shaving knot". They're from China but I just got a nice selection of badgers from various Chinese vendors and the longest shipping time of them was 11 days. Virginia sheng sells 24mm knots but she's on vacation, and it looks like she's also become an Amazon vendor. She's due back mid Feb.

I didn't know if those would be high quality or not. Being that this is my first re-knotting is there anything I should know? And it has a rubber handle. Can I steam it out or would boiling work better?

Thanks,
Nick

I didn't know if those would be high quality or not. Being that this is my first re-knotting is there anything I should know? And it has a rubber handle. Can I steam it out or would boiling work better?

Thanks,
Nick

I've only steamed 1 knot out and it was faux ebony, not a rubber handle. Sorry but you'll have to rely on somebody else's experience for an answer. I myself wouldn't try steaming or boiling with rubber, but I have no idea what kind of temps it can...handle :001_rolle

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I've only steamed 1 knot out and it was faux ebony, not a rubber handle. Sorry but you'll have to rely on somebody else's experience for an answer. I myself wouldn't try steaming or boiling with rubber, but I have no idea what kind of temps it can...handle :001_rolle

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

That was pretty good haha. How do you typically get knots out?

That was pretty good haha. How do you typically get knots out?

Dremel, Dremel, Dremel... Its a very dusty process, but if you take your time, you can get them cleaned out well. Tip: Don't force... ever. I broke a couple brushes (even felt loose) by pulling or prying just a bit too hard.

As for horse, I have a few - I'm not a huge fan. I have a blonde horse from Virginia Sheng that is pretty passable. The darker brushes are too scritchy and floppy. Not the combo I'm looking for. They get moderate use from me. With that brush, I'd probably go with a blonde boar knot! Let us know how you progress!

Dremel, Dremel, Dremel... Its a very dusty process, but if you take your time, you can get them cleaned out well. Tip: Don't force... ever. I broke a couple brushes (even felt loose) by pulling or prying just a bit too hard.

As for horse, I have a few - I'm not a huge fan. I have a blonde horse from Virginia Sheng that is pretty passable. The darker brushes are too scritchy and floppy. Not the combo I'm looking for. They get moderate use from me. With that brush, I'd probably go with a blonde boar knot! Let us know how you progress!

+1 I'm very happy with the TGN boar, but I'll always be a badger kinda guy.

+1 I'm very happy with the TGN boar, but I'll always be a badger kinda guy.

I love my TGN boar (go with a bigger diameter if you can in the handle). But I, also, am more of a badger man. If you're going for look, boar - performance, badger or synthetic - variety, blonde horse hair. That's my 2¢

I have used horse hair knots on a couple of reknots. I also am not a big fan, to floppy. On ordering from China I have had no problem, they usually come in 10 to 14 days.

Top Bottom