What's new

What's your take on ridiculously large watches?

Wrist clocks! Personally I like the 50mm size range. I didn't at first, but after a friends urging to try it for a week and then send it back I fell in love with it, and kept it. I do agree that the size across isn't as big of a deal as the height! Right now I'm wearing my new favorite thats maybe only a 45mm, but is easily 15 tall, it actually makes it harder to wear than the 50mm!

Interesting argument. The first "proper" watch I bought was an Omega Seamaster Automatic Chronometer back in 1997. It is 35mm and at the time I thought it massive. Fast forward to 2009 and I got a Panerai Luminor 44mm - either I am getting fatter or big watches look good!

Explanation to huge watch trend is quite simple, people have gone a lot "bigger" as well over the years. And they need to justify their existence as well. Besides, taste is something that died out somewhere in the fifties.

I still wear my Omega Seamaster ... that's a small watch by today's standards, but I never got comments about it.

With the smart phone always on me--I saw no point in continuing to wear a watch--stopped wearing a watch several years ago, even though I have a couple nice watches.

With the smart phone always on me--I saw no point in continuing to wear a watch--stopped wearing a watch several years ago, even though I have a couple nice watches.
I think a good watch does more than telling the time; it also tells a bit about who you are, at least about what you like.

I wear a mechanical watch (an Omega) with a subtle look, on a brown leather strap. To me that says "classic, elegance, history".

40mm maximum for me (from now onwards) I used to wear TW Steel watches but not anymore, they look out of proportion considering I've not been to the gym in over a year! :blushing:

If you're small wear a small watch, if you're big wear a big watch. No man should wear a watch more than 50mm or smaller than 38mm though. A 40mm watch looks good on everyone of every size - think rolex submariner. I personally love my Omega Seamaster 300m "bond" from the golden eye era which is 41mm i think. Its extremely versatile and a change of watch band makes all the difference. I have a black leather clasp strap, a NATO striped nylon strap, and the OEM stainless band. all three have their purpose of dressing up, down, or general purpose.

I think getting a good quality watch is more important than trying to jump on some fad. Save up and buy one nice used automatic and you wont be sorry... it'll last the rest of your life and always look good.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Feh, just get a pocket watch...
Denim:
proxy.php
...my pocket watch is not large;

$pocket_watch.jpg

That said and in my opinion (and don 't get me wrong), large wrist watches can be viewed as 'tacky' (I'm kind of luke-warm and maybe a tad partial on large pocket watches), but did you know that Sir Winston Churchill's pocket watch (a
Gold 1890 765 Breguet, called 'The Turnip'…this is a big and heavy watch), is still in perfect working order, is now in the possession of his great-grandson Randolph, whose late father described it:

"[On one end the 'Turnip']...is attached to a heavy gold waistcoat-chain which, at the (other), end has a small round gold case for holding gold Sovereigns, a V for Victory emblem (which
Winston gave the members of his Wartime Cabinet in 1945), a silver head of Napoleon (of whom he was a great admirer), a keepsake medallion of Westminster Abbey Division by-election of 1924 (which Churchill lost by just 43 votes), a garnet-stone set in a gold heart (the gift [from his wife] Clementine on their wedding day in September 1908) and another golden heart, which Clementine gave Winston on his 90th Birthday (after 56 years of marriage and less than eight weeks before his death".

​$watch.jpg $PC020039-300x225.jpg

Read More:
http://richardlangworth.com/the-turnip-churchills-breguet-pocket-watch

proxy.php
"[A pocket watch tells a story which is akin to the past and future]...which everyone reaches at a rate of 60 minutes an hour". Author Unknown

Explanation to huge watch trend is quite simple, people have gone a lot "bigger" as well over the years. And they need to justify their existence as well. Besides, taste is something that died out somewhere in the fifties.

As for me, watch serves strictly practical purpose, it should be easy to read, reliable, comfortable size and has some history behind it. Many check time now on their cell phones, so wearing a watch is for reasons of fashion. You can make yourself feel like some superagent or hero with oversized diver or "military" watch on a chunky "NATO strap", although real James Bond never wore one. In Goldfinger and Thunderball he had simple one piece nylon strap with his fixed lugs military Submariner, for diving duties, that wasn't even correct size! But noone cared, because franchize wasn't turned yet into one big product placement fest.

$bond-goldfinger-strap-big.jpg

By the way, early subs were only 37-38 mm in diameter and most dress watches that men wore 30-36mm so by todays standards it would be concidered hopelessly undersized. But then wrist watch was simple necessity, not vanity showcase.

$luxury-oulm-multi-function-3-movt-quartz.jpg

Last edited:
I seem to be in the minority when it comes to disliking large watches. I define "large" as a watch size larger than 40mm. Some companies, such as Panerai, have built their legacy on larger watches, so their is definitely a following out there.

Cellphones don't display seconds. In my job, I need seconds, and atomic-clock accuracy (traffic signal timing).

40mm maximum for me (from now onwards) I used to wear TW Steel watches but not anymore, they look out of proportion considering I've not been to the gym in over a year! :blushing:

My Eco-Drive solar atomic has a 45mm case. It is the largest watch I own, but it is thin enough so that it wears pretty well.
I really do wish that it were 40.

Top Bottom