What's new

What's your favorite DE HANDLE?

If we're talking factory, I really like the handle on Fat Handle Techs. Otherwise, the stuff CooncatBob is making takes the cake.

I like the handle on the Mer-modified Progress, with the original metal knob, but I my current favorite is the Improved handle from Cooncat Bob, which was styled after the Goodfella. Both the Mergress and Improved handles have good heft to them, and the Improved has a particularly nice balance to it, with no risk of slipping.

I hate to be the guy that has a nice thing to say about parker, but the handle on my 91r fits a number of gillette heads. Even though I won't use the head on the 91r (inconsistent blade exposure on one side over the other), I do like pairing the handle with gillette heads. It's gloriously heavy and the knurling is fabulous.
-- Chet

OK - I'm going to cheat here and nominate the Gem 1912 SE razor with the six-sided handle with heavy engraving. The balance is just right and the engraving offers great grip when wet as well as being very attractive. This is further enhanced with two rings cut into the bottom of the shaft which help excess water drain off the handle and gives the bottom finger something further to grip on to. However I find that it is the six-sided shaft that enables me to comfortably "lock" the razor between my fingers in a manner which I simply can't do with any other razor. It's a great idea which I don't think ever appeared on a DE razor but it is so unmistakably a sign of a Gem / Ever-ready that I wonder if the company had the idea copyrighted. Here's a great image grabbed from an earlier B&B post (with thanks to the original poster).

Good topic! I have several for different reasons

British #66 is probably my favorite handle on a Gillette DE - great looking, doesn't slip, nicely counterweighted to the head.

Aristocrat handles come in second for the same reasons, just the rhodium on the #66 has a nicer look.

The 1940-41 Schick model that I have has an aluminum handle. The razor handles nicely and, while the handle has no knurling or texture, it is completely non-slip. A really nice design.

OK - I'm going to cheat here and nominate the Gem 1912 SE razor with the six-sided handle with heavy engraving. The balance is just right and the engraving offers great grip when wet as well as being very attractive. This is further enhanced with two rings cut into the bottom of the shaft which help excess water drain off the handle and gives the bottom finger something further to grip on to. However I find that it is the six-sided shaft that enables me to comfortably "lock" the razor between my fingers in a manner which I simply can't do with any other razor. It's a great idea which I don't think ever appeared on a DE razor but it is so unmistakably a sign of a Gem / Ever-ready that I wonder if the company had the idea copyrighted. Here's a great image grabbed from an earlier B&B post (with thanks to the original poster).

That is a good grip. If I had to vote for WORST grip, though, it'd be the totally smooth nickel finish that came on some of these same handles. Dangerous when wet!

38c, its hefty, nice, a beauty to look at, and does the job when it comes to adding agresivity by weight insted of exposure,

but i still like to shave with a slim adjustable better,

These are apparently being phased out and are currently on sale, had to pull the trigger (I have a Mach 3 handle like this, feels great in the hand, can't wait to try it with the Jagger head).

I like the handle on the EJ Georgian so much I ended up getting the whole set of them.

I like three things in a handle; a bit of lenght, grip and most important of all lightness. It is all about the combination with the head really. Handles can be light or heavy but I want a 'head-heavy'-razor so the handles of the Mühles R41/89, fat/aluminium handled tech, Merkur LHC, Lord LP1822 and one of Bob's relative heavy handles (once meant for a replated nickel tech) on a superheavy Gladweg head all do fine.

I dislike the barberpole handles and the regular 2-piece Merkur handles (11/34/37 C/G) for obvious reasons; their balance is not what I am looking for in a razor!

Red Tip, fat handle Tech, Slim Adj, Super Adj, Merkur 37G, EJ DE87, Star,

Bullet tip Micromatic and Gem multi-faceted for SE.

My 1984 Atra for carts, it's knurled aluminum and grippy.

Ball End Old Type, of which I have three, hands down. I don't think anything made by Gillette afterwards was an improvement with the exception of the Ball End NEW. Although I primarily use single edge razors as my daily shaver, when I do grab a DE it's usually one of the Ball End's, either the NEW or Old Type. I just love the feel and balance from the weight in the handle.

Ball End Old Type for me, too. It's terrible almost all of them crack, but for the pure feel, they are my favorite!

Top Bottom