What's new

whats your favorite beer?

Ignoring the draught cask ales that would be near impossible to find beyond these shores, I would recommend the following bottled beers.

From the British Isles:

Marble Lagonda IPA
Downton Chimera IPA
Thornbridge Jaipur IPA
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout
Hop Back Entire Stout
Youngs Special London Ale
Wye Valley Butty Bach

From Europe:

John Martin Pale Ale
Duvel
Timmermans Gueze
Jever Pils
Lowenbrau Oktoberfest

From the US:

Harpoon IPA
Goose Island IPA
Brooklyn East India Pale Ale
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

From the Antipodes:

Little Creatures Pale Ale

Also being Staffordshire born & bred, had my first pint of "Pedi" 30 years ago

It was never as good as Bass (When the Union system was still employed up to 1981) or the criminally underrated Ind Coope Burton Ale, BUT was a pint worth seeking out.

I now find it a shadow of its former self

It's gone bland :mad2:

Burton Bridge is a good brewery in your neck of the woods

BTW, my youngest played for North Staffs against East Staffs at Trentside Cricket Club in the Branston area of Burton, earlier this year

It really depends on my mood and the occasion or location.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout or Young's Oatmeal Stout are a favorite but a bit too sweet and rich for everyday, so they're reserved for special occasions. Rogue's Nut Brown Nectar, Left Hand Milk Stout and Franziskaner wheat round out my indulgence list.

If I'm out(apart from the rare place that carries any of the above), I like Boddington's - a nice English pale ale poured with nitrogen like Guiness, so it gets a nice creamy head. Smithwick's is great Irish ale and crisp without being too hoppy. Shiner Bock is a nice bock out of Shiner, TX that is really smooth. Murphy's Red is great, but only on draft, not cans.

On the occasion that I'm at a bar that has a less than spectacular selection, Yuengling, Guinness or Amber Bock.

I Could never choose just one. These are some beers that I like.

Peak Organic Nut Brown Ale
Troegs Rugged Trail Ale
Guinness
Harp Lager
Dogfish Head 90min IPA
Victory Storm King

Seasonal

Sam Adams Oktoberfest
Sam Adams Winter Lager
Blue Moon Harvest Moon
Brooklyn Summer Ale

Shiner when I'm in TX, anything local when I'm out and about in the states. I love going to a new bar in a new state/city and just asking the bartener "what's good and local?" Normally this works pretty well but one bar that will go unnamed in South Dakota served me a miller light on the rocks :out:

When I'm visiting the Caymans, I look for the Jamacia or Belize bottled Red Stripe. I'm not sure what the exact difference is, but it seems to have more body and a different taste. You have to ask waitresses to check the bottle as some places have the Red Stripe bottled in the states. Blech.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Tree Frog Beer, the favorite of the Checkered Demon and Club Choad Charley.

Local: Anything by Yuengling, but my favorite is the Black & Tan.
Import: Bass Ale
Heaven is a couple of Black & Tans with a Partagas #10:001_tongu

For me Timothy Taylor's Landlord is the perfect beer. It has that perfect balance of bitterness, fullness, and floral aromas that I love. If I ever find another beer that I like as much, I'm sure it's going to be very similar.

An indication that it's not just about subjective taste was that when I first tasted it I didn't know what it was. Later I realized that I was not alone in holding this beer to a very high regard...

Alex

Pils: Rothaus Tannenzäpfle (regional brew from south-west Germany) if there is a way to cool it; if no cooling facilities Eichbaum Ureich (another regional one); When traveling, Beck's will do

Weizenbier: Paulaner or Erdinger

Stout beer: Kilkenny

Top Bottom