What's new

whats your favorite beer?

There are so many good beers it's impossible to pick just one.

Local: Sebago Frye's Leap IPA

Domestic: Victory Storm King Stout

Import: Westvleteren 12 or St. Bernardus Abt 12, or damn near anything else brewed by Belgian monks.:biggrin:

If I'm just out having beers or don't want to spend a lot of $, you can't go wrong with Pabst Blue Ribbon. Best cheap beer, period!:w00t:

Al

I prefer ales to lagers. They are not all heavy, plent of good pale ales even though I prefer the darker ones. I like oo many to ahve a favourite.

On a cold night when I'm feeling rich, theakstons old peculier, otherwise australian stout.
Out at a bar in winter/autumn, murphies or beamish if they have it, I normally can only get guinness though. I've loved a few bocks, but don;t have them regularly and can't remember their names, a local now closed micro had the best bock I ever had.

After doing yard work or on a hot day is the only time I drink lighter beer, I normally go for a cheap pale ale like coopers, or a nice german hefe like paulaner or wiestephaner.

I haven't tasted enough belgiums to remember them though. The belguim ones I like are the heavier types and too pricey for me. Repetitve drinking of a beer is the only thing that's going to get a beer on my favourites list :D

I don't drink big brewery bland macro lagers period, coopers is the cheapest beer I'll buy. edit: The main reason is that the australian equivalent to bud and PBL here costs only ~$5 less a carton than a coopers ale ($35 for the macro blando lager, $40 for the coopers ale), and that's just for the cheapest carlton/lion nathan beer, their fancier ones which are just as bad costs more than coopers.

I don't drink much beer but my favourities are usually wheat beers.
The one which brings up a great memories (no longer available in Finland) is Erdinger dark.
It's sweet, thick, heavy and produce a tons of foam.

I'm a big fan of Belgian beers but there ain't nothing wrong with a 'Kölsch' either :w00t: This is at 'Brauhaus Früh', Cologne, downtown and very close to the 'Dom' :drool:

I've got a soft spot for a nice Duvel served in a tulip glass. Flavorful, easy drinking, and quite satisfying.

This time of year I also quite enjoy both Troeg's Mad Elf (their holiday beer) and North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout. Both are a bit more substantial in their ABV and very tasty.

For beers I've brewed at home (and their have been many), my favorite would have to have been a clone of Hop Rod Rye IPA. My mash got around 50% efficiency (instead of my usual 85-90%) and my hop utilization was through the roof. My calculations put it at around 200 IBU, a hop bomb if there ever was one. At first it was overpowering but after a month it was the most floral, flavorful beer I've ever had the good fortune of drinking. I really do miss that batch.

At the risk of being a lemming, Guinness Draft has to be my alltime favorite. Any other beer and I'm done after one or two. Guiness - usually leads to 6 or 7.

OH! I forgot, this one is kinda "girly" if you will. Or so the guys say when I can actually obtain it. Kriek. It's a cherry beer from Beligum.

And I have to add, the Beligians have the Germans beat without question.

belhaven scottish ale is awesome.
grand reserve triple blue chimay is off the chain.
saint arnolds out of houston, tx makes a great domestic line
st. peters poter is fantastic
and the aventis out of germany is a giant among men

ive now gotten to the point that if i want to "feel" anything ive got to go for quantity over quality so i developed a love for pabst blue ribbon. 12 for $7 at heb. a big help in the same department is this stuff called high gravity. i get mine from the shell station down the road for a buck and some change. its 8.1% so i dont need to explain how amazing it is. but you have to get it COLD or its horrible. icehouse is also pretty damn good. and best of all a 24 oz can of high gravity and ice house comes to a grand total of $3.88. you cant beat that.

I forgot to mention that Delerium Tremens is a particular favorite of mine.

proxy.php

Could have sworn I posted on a beer thread but evidently it wasn't this one...

Maine has a really strong microbrew scene currently, so I drink local almost exclusively. If you can get your hands on it, Shipyard defeats Sam Adams handily (imho of course). A little further north, Bear Brew in Orono makes some fantastic beer, but incidentally the house beers at their brew pub are terrible. Mainely Brews in Waterville serves my favorite of their creations. I've also recently had Oak Pond Brewery's offerings, and I'm very impressed. I doubt they distribute further than like a 100 mile radius, however.

Top Bottom