What's new

What's the general opinion about Maggard razors, and handles?

I have a MR5 w/ V3 head and really like it. For the most part I was able to get a DFS everyday in 2 passes using Shark SS blades in it. It was my 1st DE. I will say the MR5 handle is a hefty though. Weighs in at 82g... I do wish I would've gotten the V3A and the V2 Slant heads also though. Just to try each one and see what works best. I may still order them at some point.

If you are just starting out, Maggard is a great deal. The handles are all stainless steel (except for one aluminum handle), They also have a bunch of different heads and the option to mix and match them. I tried the v3, v3a, and OC and all three were good steady shavers. they now have a slant to add to the mix which I have not tried, but folks got good things to say about it. I would recommend one of the v3 heads and the OC.

I have their V3 head for a handle I turned. Blade alignment is finicky so I don't use it, it's a backup in case the bolt on my EJ breaks. When the blade aligns properly it's a good razor - comparable to my EJ- especially for the low cost, but it's not worth messing with when I have 2 others that have no issues and shave great.

I have their V3 and the open comb. Like them both and keep them in rotation. Their handles are great if you prefer heavier feel and good grip. I bought their short handle for my PAA double open comb and really like the combination. They are also a pleasure to do business with.

Quality seems good to me for the price. However, the few times I have tried it (V3) I have felt the blade on my face much more than I am accustomed to feeling. This has led to irritation. Maybe I just need to learn the razor better.

I have a MR5 w/ V3 head and really like it. For the most part I was able to get a DFS everyday in 2 passes using Shark SS blades in it. It was my 1st DE. I will say the MR5 handle is a hefty though. Weighs in at 82g... I do wish I would've gotten the V3A and the V2 Slant heads also though. Just to try each one and see what works best. I may still order them at some point.

Would you buy again, or recommend the MR5 handle? I have been eyeing it for my Mühle 41, or Mühle 89 head. It looks ergonomically friendly, and is in the middle weight wise in their line of handles.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I love Maggards stuff. I have a bunch of their handles and DE heads. The V2 and V3 are excellent. Get great shaves with both of them. And their handles are fantastic for the price. The MR-5 and MR-18 are my favorites. I highly recommend.

Would you buy again, or recommend the MR5 handle? I have been eyeing it for my Mühle 41, or Mühle 89 head. It looks ergonomically friendly, and is in the middle weight wise in their line of handles.
I will buy from Maggard in the future, no doubt. I would recommend the MR5 handle all day long for a 3 pc set up. It has great feel and balance to it. Very comfortable to use.

I am extremely happy with my Maggard's MR5 - V.3 razor. Terrific weight and grip. Very comfortable smooth shaves with a Voskhod blade. It's a regular part of my three razor rotation, along with my Merkur 34C and Merkur 39C Slant.

Last edited:
I have the V3, V2OC, and V3A heads and the MR11 handle. I have noticed blade alignment issues on the V3 and V3A, but getting it right only adds about 5-10 extra seconds to the process of putting the blade in, so I deal with it. The V3A is my favorite, very efficient but also smooth and predictable. The V2OC is more likely to bite in my experience, but there are others who love it. And in general I love the weighty feel of the heads and handle.

Maggard as a company is fantastic! Best customer service I've had from an online vendor. Highly recommend.

+1 to that! Maggards has great service, and they are my favorite online shaving supplier.

I have their V2 Open Comb head with an MR6 handle. The handle was just what I wanted: long, heavy, stainless, with excellent knurling. The only drawback to the handle is the much-larger-than-average collar diameter (11-12 mm or so), making it a poor match for some heads. Works perfectly with the Maggard head it came with though. I was more interested in the handle than the head, to be honest... but the head turns out to be an excellent little performer in its own right.

And as the OP said, you can't beat the price.

Last edited:
+1 to this. Would also add that they are a small business, and are likely to help if you have any issues. At the price point, I'm not sure there is much that is better. And supporting a company that supports the wet shaving community is also pretty nice. I have noticed some of the blade alignment issue that others have mentioned, but fixing that is no problem.
Maggard as a company is fantastic! Best customer service I've had from an online vendor. Highly recommend.

I have the MR1 and MR5 handles along with the V3 and V3A heads. Just got the closest shave ever using the V3A head a GSB blade and no weepers! Had to be careful though.

Top Bottom