What's new

What's the best way to clean open bar heads

Hi all, as my DE shaving life has evolved I have somewhat recently gotten into open comb razors. My daily driver and only razor I use now is an Above the Tie S2 slant, open comb.

My question is, is there a (good) way to clean between the teeth of the open bar? I clean and dry my razor after each use but have difficulty getting between the teeth, any tips and/or suggestions? Thanks in advance

The brush and pipe cleaners both fit. That's the only pic I have of the brushes. I got them at a local smoke shop.

If you're meaning an occasional cleaning to remove soap buildup, I use distilled white vinegar and an old toothbrush with the razor disassembled. I immediately rinse the vinegar off and then dry the razor.

Alloy 303 stainless (and other "machinable" alloys) is highly susceptible to corrosion and not ever recommended for use in wet environment, or caustic environment in manufacturing. Pretty mulch no matter what I do with my stainless, I just make sure to rinse and dry it quickly when I'm done.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Save your old tooth brush next time for this task. They are free. I keep a pair of them under my sink. One for polishing tarnish and one for general cleaning of my razors.

If you're meaning an occasional cleaning to remove soap buildup, I use distilled white vinegar and an old toothbrush with the razor disassembled. I immediately rinse the vinegar off and then dry the razor.

Alloy 303 stainless (and other "machinable" alloys) is highly susceptible to corrosion and not ever recommended for use in wet environment, or caustic environment in manufacturing. Pretty mulch no matter what I do with my stainless, I just make sure to rinse and dry it quickly when I'm done.

Thanks, jcs. As Polonius says in Act II of Hamlet, ".....brevity is the soul of wit."

Sooo...you're saying I'm not funny??

Nicely put, I was thinking of doing this-that-and everything in between completely overthinking it. Toothbrush it is! Thanks guys

I have an ATT R2 and find that just rinsing it under running water then wiping it down usually does the job. Occasionally it'll get a scrub with a toothbrush.

DE_77, what is your water like? I used the same Slim for more than 45 years, and for me, the amount of cleaning required was dependent on the hardness of the water. I have lived places with soft water, with hard water, and with really, really hard water. My Slim has never been apart and still functions perfectly because where I used it with hard water I was on a daily cleaning regimen - toothbrush and cotton swabs. Best of luck.

Tom

Here is another toothbrush user. I "recycle" my old toothbrush for cleaning razors. I normally use a bit of liquid soap and the tootbrush for the task.

Top Bottom