What's new

Whats Cooking? 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Myself and SWMBO are on a calorie counting diet, We have replaced a lot of 'filler' carbs with veg. Tonight is a Turkey stir fry on 75g of brown rice, 440 cals all in.
$IMG055.jpg

$IMG057.jpg Something slighty different tonight, Braised red cabbage with apples&onion, and pork loin steaks. 650 calories all in.

Eggs in a cloud round 2!

this time i layered the bottom of my micro le creuset with artistan kamut bread , 2 slices of home made turkey deli slices , and a slice of cave aged gruyere. lightly seasoned with cubeb pepper, himalayan pink and za'tar . then ofcourse the egg on top! :)

truly an enjoyable breakfast complimented with a glass of fresh squeezed blood OJ. :D

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Bon Apetit!

Made two more loaves of last week's Amish white bread this morning and rendered off about 2 cups worth of lard from fat trimmings that the WF butchers gave me gratis. A tablespoon of the latter finding its way into the former.

I'm not much into the leftover cracklings from rendering the pork fat, but my dog loves them for a totally natural and non-processed treat.

Nothing beats free lard. I have to pay $6 a pound for leaf lard here when the farmer's market is open.

I can get pretty good house made lard from Gepperth's (100 year old butcher shop in my neighborhood) for 3.99/lb. It's not leaf though. The stuff I rendered off today from the Whole Foods scraps was definitely not from pig suet but came out a beautiful pure white--quite similar to rendered goose fat though I doubt it will have that beautiful clean but nuanced flavor of good goose fat.

Sterling do you ever get to Genes in Lincoln Square its great.

To keep on target though. Rehydrated dried fruit and ras el hanout rolled into a pork loin served on creamy polenta with braised greens

Sterling do you ever get to Genes in Lincoln Square its great.

To keep on target though. Rehydrated dried fruit and ras el hanout rolled into a pork loin served on creamy polenta with braised greens

I frequently do. The double smoked rib belly is a staple in my fridge. Steaks can be hit or miss, but when they get some nicely marbeled choice in, it's the best steak value in the city. Lots of other great stuff there.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Onion soup with cubed 12 grain toast and Jarlsberg cheese, and yes, chicken stock.

Attachments

• $Onion soup 001.JPG
    $Onion soup 001.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 91
  • $Onion soup 002.JPG
    $Onion soup 002.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 93
  • $Onion soup 003.JPG
    $Onion soup 003.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 91
Onion soup with cubed 12 grain toast and Jarlsberg cheese, and yes, chicken stock.

That looks great. Onion soup is one of my favs.

How do you like that butterbell? I keep my butter in a regular ol' covered butter dish. But I use unsalted butter and I am worried about ti going rancid. I have noticed it gets a little yellow around the edges after awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom