What's Brewing - 2011

Discussion in 'The Cafe'' started by SiBurning, Jan 8, 2011.

1. SiBurning

SiBurning Steward Contributor

What's in your mug today?

2. Joe's Dark from Trader Joe's
    decent cup when made properly in a French press :001_cool:

3. Homeroasted Guatemala Finca San Jose Ocana.

4. The last of my Black Cat Organic Espresso brewed in a Bialetti Break this morning...

5. Java Estate to a full city +

6. Sumatra Mandheling (Wet Hulled)

7. Guatemala Finca La Maravilla, roasted by Anderson's Coffee in Austin, TX. I'm putting roast level at Full City+ based on appearance of beans and flavor of brew.

Brewed in my 8-cup Chemex in a two-step pour/stir taking 4 minutes total.

Heavy chocolate and nuts. Medium-bodied. Very nice.

8. Ethiopia Sidamo Yirgacheffe in my French Press this morning... Oily beans that are full of bright flavors. Definitely one of my favorites.

9. letterk

letterk Moderator Emeritus

A Kenyan from Kean Coffee in the TVorm. Since I haven't had a chance to revive the Behmor (or buy a new one) I've been buying from a local roaster, who happens to be owned by Martin Diedrich.

10. Just disovered a flavored coffee that has me head over heels for some reason Highlander Grog I know that it's a somewhat common flavoring but dang it's tasty. Usually not a flavoring fan but this just got me somehow. Otherwise today, it's 8 O'Clock beans, good cheap stuff. Though I wish I could afford/justify some of the nice freshly roasted Sumatra that a local coffee shop does.

11. Portland Brew Coffee "Portland Blend". Gift from my sister in-law. Not sure how she knows the place (she travels a lot though). It's nice - makes me wish I could still chug coffee like I used to, but I can't handle all the caffeine.

12. letterk

letterk Moderator Emeritus

Kean Coffee Big Island 100% Pure Hawaiian. Exclusive to Kean on the mainland. An outstanding bean and roast.

13. Home roasted Burman Coffee Trader Jumpstart - french roast.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63-xnpFGWVc[/YOUTUBE]

14. shade grown El Salvdor from Espresso news in Boone, NC!!

15. I just had what I believe is the worst example of a double espresso at a local coffee/tea shop that is supposed to have a good reputation. It had visible crema for only about 15 seconds, and it tasted like very strong coffee. It seemed like a lot of volume for a double to me - it must have been close to 4 oz.

My problem is that I don't think I've ever had a decent espresso and, therefore, have absolutely no reference point or baseline for comparison. Meh.

16. R
    Where in Ca do you live?

17. SoCal, near Del Mar. I checked the coffeegeek website for suggestions. I might need to go on a quest and look into the suggested spots. I am definitely not an espresso drinker, so this could either be good times :thumbup1: or a waste of time and money :thumbdown

18. Bummer, if you're ever up in the bay area - shoot me a PM.

19. Sweet Maria's Kenya Kirinyaga AA Gakuyu-ini - naked PF extraction...
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH8a9M0c6ps[/YOUTUBE]