What so you mostly use to hone now

Discussion in 'Hones/Honing' started by Kentos, Jan 19, 2013.

Choose only one

1. Norton

2. Naniwa

3. Shapton

4. Chosera

5. Other synthetic

6. Japanese Naturals

7. Coticule

8. Thuri

9. Arkie

10. Slates

11. Other natural

12. Lapping Film

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kentos

Kentos Moderator Emeritus

So what do you use most now?
    Assume the bevel doesn't need resetting.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  2. rockviper

rockviper Moderator Contributor

Barber's hone would go under "other synthetic", yes?

3. Mostly?
    I'm happiest with the edge from my Coti, but I have not had to use it since July.

4. Kentos

I think so ;).

I am thinking this would be good for aspiring honers to get a feel for what people use.

5. Kentos

I also realize there is a "rock du jour"...but leaving this open indefinitely might keep things honest.

6. Coticule for everything after the bevel. I love the edges and they are great to just look at.

...Ray

7. A very helpful thread for those of us about to take the (next) plunge. Thanks!

8. I just sold my Norton 4/8, so I'm a full-time Coticuler now. :thumbup1:

9. Shapton ceramic pros ( not glass)

10. Wid

Wid

After bevel set I use a coticule most times. If it's a wedge I go with lapping films, they're faster and put a nice edge on the razor. Sometimes I still finish off with a coticule afterwards.

11. JNATs of course

12. Kentos

You know I never hear about the Shapton glass anymore. I wonder if they are still popular on other forums?

13. I'm a JNAT junkie.

14. I like the coticule!

15. Jnat/Jtape

16. See above, "Rock du jour"

Looks like WCS has discontinued the line... They still offer a 3k for $72. It was in their clearance section for months, but that's the only grit left.
    I was looking at them on SRD last June and stock was very spotty, but it was the cost that kept me away from them.

I think people realized that a pasted paddle or balsa block is just as effective as a $300 Shapton and there's simply no point in going higher than the 15k range on the hones. Heck, people get decent shaves off of 8k stones every day.

17. Legion

Legion Moderator Emeritus

Koticule kid.

18. BBW and Coticule

19. Love my Shaptons. I won't make blanket statements for other synthetics that I haven't used but I get very effective and quick results from them.

20. Coticule and barber hones.