What's new

What makes Feather AC Razors feel like a real straight compared to other shavettes?

Deciding whether to buy IBC or Feather AC SS. But I wanna know why since everyone mentions that Feather AC feels closest to an actual straight.

I have had Artist Club razors both a folding DX and a Japanese SS. I have never shaved with a regular straight so I cannot do a direct compare and contrast but I can say that they are definitely quality pieces of hardware. I have often read that the Artist Club style razors are even more difficult to use than a regular straight because they can be much sharper and less forgiving.

I have a Feather DX folding in teak. Works great with Proguard blades. I purchased a DX in pearl (plastic). It was so inferior to the teak, I returned it.

Last edited:
I don't personally think they shave anything at all like a traditional straight. That said, they are fantastic razors in their own right. Build quality is infinitely better than any other shavette out there. They blades are all ridiculously sharp. If you can shave with a Feather, you can shave with anything (except maybe a blade glued on some chopsticks....)

I don't personally think they shave anything at all like a traditional straight. That said, they are fantastic razors in their own right. Build quality is infinitely better than any other shavette out there. They blades are all ridiculously sharp. If you can shave with a Feather, you can shave with anything (except maybe a blade glued on some chopsticks....)
Although I think some people can shave with those chopstick razors...

I think the difference is the Feather is designed to be a razor. Other shavettes are designed to hold DE blades, which are designed to work in a different device. It's the difference between a device and a jury-rigged device.

This. The blades for the Feather are wider than a DE blade and the corners are rounded.

I think the difference is the Feather is designed to be a razor. Other shavettes are designed to hold DE blades, which are designed to work in a different device. It's the difference between a device and a jury-rigged device.

Shavettes that I tried are lighter and require a little pressure. For me this means areas with a little razor burn. I have used the teak Feather DX for several years and enjoy the closest, most comfortable shaves. I also have the Feather SS in folding and non-folding and while they are very different from the DX, they outperform the 6 or 7 shavettes I tried including Dovo, Weck Sextoblade and some pricier ones. For me, nothing shaves like the Feathers. I still use my antique straights once a month or so just for fun but the shave is never as good.

Never used the shavette, but I really like the AC Pro's in my RazoRock Hawk. I get up to 10 excellent, BBS shaves with them. If they work as well in the shavette it would be an awesome combo.

Feather blades are much thicker than a DE blades so it "feels" more like a traditional Straight Razor. However, Feather blades are also wickedly sharp and you have to give it the respect it deserves. The "feel" of each razor/blade combination is also unique so you can't really make an apple to apple comparison. My current setup is an IBC Shavette with half of a Feather or Kai DE blade. This setup feels completely different than the same IBC Shavette with a Artist Club Pro Blade. One is not necessarily better or worse than the other. It's just what I prefer. YMMV.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It feels like a wedge razor to me. It feels nothing like a full hollow though.

I had a DX and sold it. While it did shave great it always left some irritation. It shaves nothing like a straight at all, closest would be to a wedge bit it's still a long way away. The spine thickness on the feather is much greater than a straight, therefore unless the feather is flat against your face the angle is not optimal and if it is flat against your face it sticks, not good. The feather blades are sharp, but they are synthetic sharp which makes them harsh. A properly honed coticule edge is very sharp but it is also a smooth comfortable edge. Jnat edges are hyper keen and although I don't find them as comfortable as a coticule or even a thuringian they are much better than synthetic edges. As always ymmv

I had a kamisori style SS. It was really nice, easy to get a close DFS in 2 passes. Don't waste time with the proGuard blades, the regular blades are better. I sold it cuz the blades are too expensive for me, and I have a Weck Sextoblade that I reached for way more often anyway. The Feather SS razors are really unique in that there's a bump behind the blade edge to stretch the skin. This gives you a closer smoother shave even if you don't go ATG. It also makes it easier to hold it at more agressive angles. However, it prevents you from holding the blade flat against your skin. So, it's a unique experience and technique that isn't really like SRs or other shavettes. Note that the Feather DX razors, on the other hand, do not have this bump and maybe would be closer to a straight, but I haven't tried a DX.

IMO the Feather AC DX (wood or resin handle) feels closer to a classic straight than a shavette-type razor because of the former's weight and balance.
As was already mentioned, the stiffness of the blade also makes the Feather DX handle closer to a straight than dedicated DOVO Shavette (or broken in half safety razor) blades that both have much more flexibility.

As far the Feather AC blade's initial harshness is concerned, it disappears after 2-3 shaves and some hand stropping (less dangerous than one might think) before first use helps tame a new blade.

At one stage, I used a Feather DX exclusively for almost a month and got very close, comfortable shaves from it. I would not want to give up on my straights, but the Feather DX makes a very handy travel companion and can fill in for a straight at home when I don't have the time for the early-morning stropping ritual.

The Feather AC SS gives similar results, but lacks the weight of the DX and thus does not replicate the feel of a straight to the same extent as the DX.

B.

Last edited:
Top Bottom