What's new

What is your favorite Gillette NEW?

View attachment 698821View attachment 698822 This is my favorite NEW razor. Found it this past Sunday at a fleamarket. It was really roached out. Purchased it for five bucks, took it home and cleaned it up. According to what I could find here on B&B it was manufactured between 1932 and 1940. Going to be the SOTD on Sunday.
That's a beauty! I would love to get my hands on one, either long or short comb, but SWMBO won't let me buy anymore razors right now.

Please, let is know how it shaves

Had my first shave with the "NEW" today. Posted the particulars over on SOTD. Have to admit there was some trepidation when I loaded the Gillette Silver Blue and got after it. But for all the blade showing she shaved smooth and not aggressive at all. I think I'll keep her![emoji106]
That's awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I sure hope the wife let's me get one some day [emoji12]

Okay guys, I'm on the horns of a dilemma. I've been shaving with my NEW since Sunday and I really like it a lot. BUT, I also like my EJ DE89lbl. Now I could rotate 'em or I could just use the NEW on Sunday's when I have my "me time" shave, or I could go back to the DE89lbl. The experience of using something that my Dad or Granddad could have used is a powerful draw.So I ask you, what do you think I should do? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
I shaved with a NEW LC daily for a year and a half using other razors occasionally. I switched to the NEW SC, which I find to be better than the LC, for about 6 months.

I now use and love SB razors such as the Postwar Tech, 46/47 and 48-50 Aristocrat, and Fatboy and seldom use OC razors. I shave daily and can get a BBS shave from any of these razors that will last all day.

I said all that to say that that decision is entirely up to you!

Okay guys, I'm on the horns of a dilemma. I've been shaving with my NEW since Sunday and I really like it a lot. BUT, I also like my EJ DE89lbl. Now I could rotate 'em or I could just use the NEW on Sunday's when I have my "me time" shave, or I could go back to the DE89lbl. The experience of using something that my Dad or Granddad could have used is a powerful draw.So I ask you, what do you think I should do? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Week on, week off.
I find using one razor for several days in a row allows me to get better and better, with the plateau coming at about 4 days. So, use each razor for 7 straight days and then switch to the other one.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Week on, week off.
I find using one razor for several days in a row allows me to get better and better, with the plateau coming at about 4 days. So, use each razor for 7 straight days and then switch to the other one.
The Doctor is in [emoji106]

Hello again Gents. Well, I have used my NEW all week, so I figured I'd share my impressions. First, it was awesome to shave with a tool manufactured between 76-84 years ago. Not too many things recently manufactured that will still be going strong in 2100 I'm thinking. The Gillette Silver Blue I used performed great. Two passes and a touch-up along the jawline under the chin. Still working on that technique. Next I think I'm going to audition the following: Astra Green, Bolzano, Derby, Shark and Feather. Depending on the results, a shave off between the winner and the Gillette Silver Blue. This week I'm going back to my EJ DE89lbl loaded with a Shark. Have a great weekend everyone!

Excellent! I suspect you will like it more and more as you get even better acquainted with it. And, FWIW, I am rooting for the Bolzano, a blade that I really like. Unfortunately, I don't have any in my blade drawer. I like Kai blades even more than Bolzano (for only slightly more money).

Week on, week off.

I've recently come to a similar conclusion. I spent OCtober testing some newly acquired razors and I decided to give them a solid week for evaluation. It went so well that I'm planning on on changing razors just once a week going forward.

For OCtober the four razors I tested were SC New Bar Handle, LC New ball handle, New Deluxe bar handle red and black set style, and a New improved head on a ball end handle. I think my favourite of the bunch is the New Improved which is not technically a New I suppose. Runner Up was the New Deluxe. All of them were great though.

This weekend, Sunday to be precise I'm going to start auditioning blades to find the best NEW/blade combo for me. I've already used a Gillette Silver Blue and got a tremendous shave. So, I'm going to audition the following blades: Astra Green, Bolzano, Derby, Feather Hi Stainless, Shark Super Chrome and Wilkinson Sword. Test will run from Sunday to Friday. The Sunday shave is on a two day growth and is my me-time shave with a hot towel pre-shave. M-F is just a normal warm water followed by the shave. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Interesting! Tell us posted, yup...

For me, it's a Feather!:tongue_sm

I just spent a week with a Gillette NEW Long Comb.

It took me a few days to dial in the blade angle and technique, but by Day 4, I was getting comfortable BBS shaves. Now the NEW LC is in my pantheon of all time greats. What a terrific razor. Just the perfect level of aggressiveness. Feels great in the hand. Simple, inexpensive, historical. It already feels like an old friend. I have other razors to try, but this is one I'll be coming back to with great pleasure.

FYI, the blade was a GSB, but my face seems to get on fine with most blades.

Top Bottom