What's new

What is the Best Shave soap you've ever tried.

Tallow & Steel is tickling my fancy right now. Excellent soap. Martin de Candre Fougere is always near the top.

1. Mitchell's Wool Fat - perfect performance, lather, and clean scent level.
2. Proraso Green - A total classic in every way. What brought me back to wet shaving. Takes me back to yesteryear.
3. Tabac - Premium performance and value. Scent is great, but fairly strong. I would prefer milder.

Thes rise WAY above all the others for me, and I have and regularly revisit Fine Acc, OSP, Stirling, TOBS, Catie's, Arko.
I have been wanting to try Haslinger Sheep Milk. I believe it could join my top 3.

Two of the best soaps that I have used are actually "Local Soaps" to Utah. They are BlueBell and Beehive. Both are from artisans here in Utah and I can buy them at our local grocery stores here. Both make amazing lather, and the scents are perfect.

Two of the best soaps that I have used are actually "Local Soaps" to Utah. They are BlueBell and Beehive. Both are from artisans here in Utah and I can buy them at our local grocery stores here. Both make amazing lather, and the scents are perfect.

Chad, you may also like to try another Utah artisan, Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations. I think she's from Ogden. I got a couple of her shaving soaps in my Christmas stocking this year. They make excellent lather. The scents are a little Woodstocky, but nice.

I dunno... they're all good. Some are better than others but not by much. Cella, Proraso & Arko are standouts for me. Williams, Seiffenglatt (no longer made), Mike's & Sterling are right up there as well.

But my views on soap are just that: It's soap for crying out loud. With that in mind, I'm not a fan of paying alot for shave soap. I've always maintained that all the soap one needs to shave with can be found in Arko or Williams (if I lived in Italy it would be Proraso or Cella). And they're cheap. If push comes to shove, Ivory bar soap will do a decent job as well.

I like all of my soaps, from various countries.....

China
Blue's Soap Goat Milk And Animal Fats From New Zealand (Puck)

Germany
Palmolive (stick)
Tabac Original (Stick)

Holland
De Vergulde Hand (Puck)

India
Godrej Shaving Round (Puck)

Italy
Proraso Green (Tub)
Proraso Red (Tub)
Proraso White (Tub)

Spain
Bea (Stick)
La Toja (Stick)
Lea (Stick)

Turkey
Arko (Puck)
Derby (Stick)

USA
Williams (Puck)

They're all good soaps in their own right and although some are easier to load and lather than others, they are all very similar performance wise.....

Out of the heavily scented soaps, the butterscotch scent of the Blue's Soap smells good enough to eat, but scent wise my favourite out of the two is Tabac - it adds a touch of luxury to an afternoon or evening shave before going out at night, a generous splash of Tabac aftershave just puts the icing on the cake

Out of the lightly scented soaps, the clinical scent with a subtle hint of lavender makes Godrej stand out from the rest, but any of the Proraso soaps win hands down for a quick effortless shave - they're just so ridiculously user friendly and easy to lather

Out of the citrus scented soaps, although Arko is more popular, I prefer Derby because it has the same great scent and performance as Arko, but the scent just doesn't seem to fade - I love the refreshing whiff of lemon whenever I open the container

The "soapy" scented soaps - ie. Bea, De Vergulde Hand, La Toja, Lea, Palmolive and Williams all load and well and are all very similar performance wise, except for Williams - it takes skill and practice to load and lather - the perfect benchmark soap for practising lathering technique - for that reason Williams is a clear winner for me

Chad, you may also like to try another Utah artisan, Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations. I think she's from Ogden. I got a couple of her shaving soaps in my Christmas stocking this year. They make excellent lather. The scents are a little Woodstocky, but nice.

Thanks for the info I will look into them for sure! I've been happy with what I've found in Utah so far.

Top Bottom