What's new

What have you concluded from your shaving hobby?

In my short time wet shaving, I have learned a few things. I laugh a hollow laugh now thinking I started to not only fix my razor burn from canned goo and cartridges, but to save money, haha! I actually look forward to shaving now and it is my zen-time as opposed to a chore I would always have to slog through. I have learned that the wet shaving community one of the most generous communities to be a part of. Everyone helps everyone and I have seen many, many PIFs in just my short time. I'm glad I started when I did and wish I would have started earlier.

This hobby is NOT an exercise in saving money....
And there are some damn fine Gentlemen and Ladies involved in the wet shaving scene. Thank you to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my learnings after 4 months in --

1. As far as soaps go, MWF is the number 1 best soap for me and I could probably have this as my one and only daily soap. It's whatever lanolin ratio they use which makes the post-shave of MWF so great. Also, Stirling soaps are great quality and have a great variety of scents and their scents are pretty strong as opposed to other artisans in which I sometimes cannot detect the scents.

3. As far as brushes go I could have been just fine with my semogue 610 as my only brush but the badgers are nice... And the $40.00 24mm badger fan knot from Stirling is better for me than the >$100 Simpson Chubby 2 BB

4. As far as safety razors all I need is the merkur 34c for daily shaves and the merkur 37c slant for 2+ days. I don't need anything else.

5. As far as blades go, all I need is the polsilver irridiums for my 34c and astra SPs for my 37c.

Finally I appreciate the fact that so many of us can have this hobby as a pleasant distraction to the inevitable challenges of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- I prefer synthetic brushes
- The Merkur 34c HD is my favorite DE
- GSB's are my favorite blade
- I have far too many soaps, AS/ASB's, etc
- I can get a good shave with just about anything, cartridge razors included, if I prep properly, pay attention and take my time
- I should become a minimalist but likely won't

In my close to four months of traditional wet shaving I've learned the following things:

1. Yes you can save money, but you have to be far more disciplined than if you're using canned goop and your local dollar store's disposable brand 'razor'. There are tens of razors, dozens of blades, and hundreds of soaps/creams/oils and if I'm not careful I'll buy at least one of all of them.

1B. The weirder the creators of a site or soap make their fragrance sound the more I want to try it.

2. Shaving, yes even with a light-average beard, doesn't have to be likened to scraping one's face with a rusty butter knife whilst using a jug of kerosene as lubricant.

3. My whiskers grow in different directions depending on where they are, and I'm anal and/or Zen enough to draw myself a diagram so as to carefully and meticulously plan out every step of my shave.

4. Pre-shave oil is not needed or wanted for me, the best pre-shave treatment for my face is a good wash with Ivory soap.

5. I eventually want to learn to use a straight razor, or at the very least a shavette.

90%+ of the razor blades out there will give a dfs with proper prep, technique, & lather.
A Gillette Sensor shaves as good as a de razor with proper prep, technique, & lather.
I have an unnatural fondness for both shaving brushes and aftershaves.

I find that I like my Schick Type M injector a lot more than any DE I've tried. Very fast, smooth shave.
I do like using a DE shavette. It's fun, but only when I have extra time.
I prefer synthetic brushes. I like boar brushes, but my skin doesn't.
I prefer creams to soaps.
A cheap copper Turkish shaving bowl works better than expensive clay ones.
I like most aftershaves.

Top Bottom