What's new

What Does Stropping DO ?

I have a roll of aluminum flashing around- it would be fascinating to try making a strop out of that and trying it out. The stock is 0.011" thick as I remember and quite soft although still not compressible, at least in the same sense that all metal is non- compressible (I know they are but on that level, everything is compressible including mono-crystalline diamond).

Now where did I leave those shears....

On second thought, stropping on soft aluminum would probably leave an aluminum film on a razor that would be tough to ever get rid of without honing. Unless the stropping were done wet with an anti galling agent used. ?

As to the newspaper, I have not been particularly successful stropping on the stuff. Not saying it does not work, just saying that after something like 100 laps I have not noticed a difference in the edge of any razor I have tried using that material.

Brian

The blade only needs to sink in a few microns, so only the outer surface needs to be compressible, not the bulk of the strop.

Newspaper is sufficiently compressible, and I expect the print is abrasive as well.

Top Bottom