What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Homemade mentholated Witch Hazel makes a great aftershave splash. I'm glad I bought those menthol crystals to play with.

Also, having enough soap on the brush makes all the difference. I was finishing a 3017 of Haslinger Schafmilch this past week and the lathers were airy and while I was getting good shaves from them, they weren't as good as I would have liked. I started a 3017 of RazoRock XX today, and working out of that full tub gave me a chance to do a good load on the brush. I had tons of lather to work with and got BBS from a blade that's on its 25th use today.

Well. I've learned how to handle the left side if my neck after some serious razor burn, I've finally figured out the angle and my neck has thanked me profusely :)

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

26 shaves on a Voskhod is possible, and getting 28 for One Blade February is going to be a success.

Using enough soap makes a huge difference to the quality of the shave, and I need to remember to actually use my alum.

- That I have too many soaps that I am trying to rotate through and should be using SV Felce Aromatica more as it is my favorite soap closely followed by Captains Choice Bay Rum and my good old standby VDH Luxury. I could just about get rid of all my other soaps and stick with these 3 and would be more than satisfied.

- That even though I got some irritation by using Dad's old J1 Schick Injector I still enjoyed the shave immensely. The poor razor just doesn't get the attention it deserves.

I face lathered MWF with my Simpson Chubby 2 BB today.... these make a great pair!

And I've dispelled my preconceptions that the Fat is best with a boar brush and that it needs to be bowl lathered. Not so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That plate 4 and 2 works best for me with my new 6s and all I need with this is a two pass with no touch-ups. Big learning day.

i learned that once i find a great BBS shave with an adjustable, i shouldn't decide to change the setting, just for the hell of it.

there's always a plan B.

That the Personna Med Prep, which I had previously not tried, is a very fine blade. Sharp, smooth, no irritation. As I only have five years' worth of blades in the cupboard, I might buy 100 to be on the safe side.

Copper soap bowls don't float they capsize and sink... unless the brush is just so....the brass handle is that heavy it will sink mine every time.

Proraso red shave soap still does ok when used after bowl capsizing and it has gotten WAY too wet.

Mama bear's soaps are still way better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some days, if I can't skip a shave for social reasons, it's much better to dial back to a mild razor. The results may not be BBS for me, but SAS is just fine occasionally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Superspeeds may be better than I thought. 1954 Flair tip and 1951 both really nice with an Astra blade. Focus on technique and reducing pressure is yielding results.

Top Bottom