What's new

What did you hone today?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Yes, but there's no way to prove it, not enough 'skin' on it. The karasu pattern is sharp edged and high contrast, and the stone is hard, so that proably puts it at least in the mines in the close vicinity of Nakayama. But it just does something nice to an edge that seems to belong to Nakayamas more often than other stones.

Cheers, Steve
It certainly feels like a Nakayama, and that would be my guess, but I'm not a guru like you guys.

$IMG_0009.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Ahhh the 'acid test', refinished my pesky Puma Inox on a nice shohonyama of an unusual size, 150x90. This was a boxed hone so the size was intended. Many times stones this size aren't razor grade in my limited experience, but this on is a full on razor hone, hard and fine. Beautiful pure stone of a light olive-tan color.

Chee
DSCF2324.jpg
rs, Steve

Hehe, pesky Puma here too. A very old with horn scales, sold as Gaudano Torino. It is marked in German "Barber Friend No.1" and "Forged from the new Puma steel". I finished it on my LaVie and the shave was ok, but not as I am accustomed by this stone.
This Henckels 17 is quite similar. I tryed to hone it on a BBW after a 1k but the result was disappointing. My best Cotis and my Marukas were able to produce a HHT4 edge, but that´s not enough for me to get a good shave. Maybe I'm not using the right technique. Currently, I get the best results with a good novaculite and soapy water. I think next I will test an Escher.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Wosty on a Charnwood with glycerin. Finally picked up and tried the glycerin. Very nice smooth shave. Not sure if it was better than the soap and water or not though on the CF. It was definitely as good or better though. I really love the shave from a CF.

3-Stone Progression:

Bevel Set: Shapton 4K Glass with light DN slurry

Mid-Work: Shapton 8K Glass

Finisher: Nakayama Asagi with DN slurry

Strop: Kanayama 70000

IMG_6069.jpg

It took months of on again off again honing to get this formerly near wedge Joseph Elliot Silver Steel into what I hope will be shave shape. Tape was necessary. I despise honing with tape. The second photo is the pile of tape used one strip at a time.
No more wedges for me!
IMG_20170216_201830825.jpg

IMG_20170216_202656165.jpg

Hugo Rader 1920's Solingen.
Bevel set on big ol' India:
IMG_6840.JPG

Amazed at how quickly it took an edge.
The steel is very different from the Sheffields and look at that blade profile.
A really striking shape with a pronounced French point and a radically sweeping toe.

Clearly this Weimar Republic design was the inspiration for a lot of Japanese blades at that time and later, when Japan sought to emulate and improve upon Western designs.

Top Bottom