What's new

What are your straight razor preferences?

What are your preferences for your every day (week/month) straight razor and what do you expect from that shave?

For me it's a hobby and it's enjoyable and I don't really care if I get a BBS shave. I don't use a straight everyday so when I do shave with one it's just for the fun of it.

I generally clean up with a DE after a shave with a straight. I'm willing to do more with a DE than a straight regarding the chin and close to the nose.

As far as my razor preferences, I prefer a 6/8 rounded tip or Barber's notch and I like something that has a nice balanced weight in my hand. I also like scales that have some curve to them. Horn is good in general.

I enjoy getting an inexpensive vintage razor, cleaning it up and then honing it almost as much as the shave itself.

What does straight razor shaving mean to you and what are your preferences?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I enjoy honing and shaving too, it's a nice way to enjoy shaving, so I think you're onto something!

I prefer a light, 13/16-6/8 Japanese square point straight, Tanifuji, Hayashi, Cape, with a little shorter edge if possible. I enjoy shaving with many different razors for variety. I have a couple of Dovo 6/8 with shorter edges that I like a lot, and I have several French razors I enjoy immensely.

Since I hone my own, I expect perfectly smooth shaving and a BBS+ result and if I don't get that edge it means I didn't do my job to my own satisfaction. Or I was trying some technique that didn't quite pan out, like a mikawa nagura progression on a thuri. :laugh:

Cheers, Steve

5/8s - 6/8s
shoulder-less
thumb notch
bottom jimps
square toe
natural scales
extra hollow grind

Nothing but straights for me for a couple of years now.

Been shaving with some sort of straight razor for about 4 years now and hone my own too. I enjoy taking an old razor and bringing it back to life. I enjoy the act of shaving with a straight razor. I find getting a good shave with a straight razor more satisfying than using a DE/SE. Anything from 5/8 up to 8/8 will do. I enjoy variety but there is something about a singing bellied full hollow that really appeals to me.

Bob

I am too inexperienced to be able to form a decent objective judgement, however, I do have aesthetic preferences which seem not to work!

Generally, I get the best shaves from 6/8 and 13/16 full hollow razors (I have honed them myself) but I have an old Bengall wedge that I would love to enjoy, but I cannot understand how to shave with a wedge - it sticks to my face!

To be honest, among the very best shaves I have had recently, my modified Gold Dollar (that I had to bread-knife) is giving me consistently good shaves.

C.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I like 6/8 ish blades with good grinds. Full or 1/4 hollow. Square points, jimps on bottom at minimum (prefer top and bottom). Like Steve, I hone my own blades so I expect smooth, close shaves, although I don't chase BBS every shave.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My #1 preference is that the darn thing better be SHARP!

This ^^^^

I've tried many shapes, grinds, widths, steels, and countries.

I have quite a few excellent razors but if I have to detail a preference...

I've landed on french tips, ~6/8 wide, 1/4 to 1/2 hollow, jimps, nice wood scales. If it has a thumb notch and or barber's notch, it's even mo' betta. Steel? American, German, Swedish, British, or French. They're all good.

The only preference that I absolutely must have is it has to be 5/8 or larger. Anything smaller doesn't seem to get as close for me. I also like full hollow the best, but I really have only used full and half hollow blades so far. Likewise, I have only tried round and square points. I like the round better for my everyday, because I can shave a little faster. It wouldn't make or break a razor for me though. It has to be well honed. My lather is pretty consistent, so when I get the slightest tug its time to hit the hones. I do enjoy the big torpedo scales on my Dovo Carpe Diem, but as long as they are sturdy I am fine with whatever.

From wedge to full paper thin hollow
From 4/8 to 15/16
It all depends on what I feel for when I do my daily pick.

Oh yes I'm a sucker for thumb notch razors.

- sharp
- smaller 3/8 to 5/8
- Swedish
- French point
- not full hollow (1/4-3/4 hollows are probably my preference, but I've never used a wedge)

I like to do a full 3 - 3.5 pass shave and go for DFS+ to BBS.

Big and heavy with a wide tang for my worn out fingers to hold onto. I do have some ultra tiny/thin razors that i enjoy the change but my best shaves seem to be from the big old choppers...lol.

Big blades 6/8+ round points and hollow ground. I like a variety of blades, but the big ones are my favorites.

Has to been very sharp
Shoulderless if possible
French or Spanish point
6/8+ although I do have a few 5/8 that give me a killer shave
Natural scales

Top Bottom