What's new

What are you listening to?

Last night I found myself listening to......wait for it........Overnight Sensation by Frank Zappa. Any surprise? And after that I put on 8:30 by Weather Report. My 13 year old son is hooked on Jaco Pastorius. Blew me away given I was not responsible for turning him on to Jaco. I'm trying to get him into Zappa but so far he's not digging it too much. In due time.

Have you or your son seen the Jaco movie? Interesting sad story!
dave

Yes. I bought it and we both watched it together. Definitely a very sad story. Mental illness is such a complicated and sad thing. There was some phenomenal playing in that movie though. And I've just found some recordings that he did with Kenwood Dennard on drums that I have to buy. I saw Kenwood Dennard recently in NYC at the Iridium with Brand X. Took my son. Initially after listening to some albums he said he wasn't all that into it. After the show he said he was completely blown away by Percy Jones. As was I. I had not seen Brand X before.

It's great that your son is embracing a passion that you can share together! Is it safe to assume there's a bass available for him to chase the muse?

My 'Brand X' exposure is limited back to the first go 'round when they had that singer guy from another band doing a pretty decent job drumming, a foggy memory...

Most of last weekend's shopping and this past weeks playlist...

It's great that your son is embracing a passion that you can share together! Is it safe to assume there's a bass available for him to chase the muse?

My 'Brand X' exposure is limited back to the first go 'round when they had that singer guy from another band doing a pretty decent job drumming, a foggy memory...

Most of last weekend's shopping and this past weeks playlist...

You are correct. He's been learning how to play electric bass for the past 2 years or so. Got him a Fender Squire J Bass kit with small practice amp. He doesn't know it yet, or maybe he does, but next week he's going to receive a Hartke A100 Bass Amp for his birthday. Big uptick in power and speaker size. He's going to love it. And then he and I can jam together. We just refinished out basement into a combination workout room, movie/video game lounge and music room. We can't hear him over my drums with his small practice amp even at max volume. Next thing on the list to buy is a decent turntable to listen to albums. And as far as Brand X, that singing drummer guy is the one you were thinking of. But on their album Livestock, which came out 40 years ago, Kenwood Dennard played drums on two tunes. They reformed the band in honor of that album release and are touring right now. What an amazing show. Especially to take a kid who's initial reaction was to say, "I'm not really into that Dad." and change it into, "OMG, that was awesome. I can't believe it. Jones made it look so effortless." Yep. I'm an awesome Dad. I know it. And yes, it did go to my head.

Seeing a band live just adds such an incredible new dimension that just can't be captured and passed along through a recording. I've had many a similar reaction to that of your son's.

Great birthday present! Many a happy hour ahead for the two of you.

Now has he yet brought to your attention anyone/band you would never given a moments consideration to?

dave

Seeing a band live just adds such an incredible new dimension that just can't be captured and passed along through a recording. I've had many a similar reaction to that of your son's.

Great birthday present! Many a happy hour ahead for the two of you.

Now has he yet brought to your attention anyone/band you would never given a moments consideration to?

dave

Oh, that he has. He once told me he liked Drake. I really don't have much use for many of these artists of today who do lots of sampling or who use drum machines and loops and just talk instead of sing. Zappa did some talking but his music is beyond reproach and is generally considered genius even by those who may not necessarily like him. The closest I get to rap or hip hop is Trouble Funk and E.U.

And while we're at it, I grew up listening to George Duke, Marcus Miller, David Sunburn, Ndugu, Dennis Chambers, etc. etc. etc. God how I miss George Duke. RIP.

And don't forget to crank the volume. This stuff was meant to be played loud.

Top Bottom